Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'll get straight to the point; I've been on metformin the last 3 years and whenever I start to throw up, I cannot control my bowel (in short: butt explosions), and I wondered if I stopped taking this drug, would my bum return to its glorious, well behaved form?

My friend (also on MF) has also noticed its really hard not to poop if you are being sick, but she seems to have a better hold on the situation than I do.

:wideyed:
I'm 29 y/o and this really isn't the most pleasant of things to happen XD!

Many thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'll get straight to the point; I've been on metformin the last 3 years and whenever I start to throw up, I cannot control my bowel (in short: butt explosions), and I wondered if I stopped taking this drug, would my bum return to its glorious, well behaved form?

My friend (also on MF) has also noticed its really hard not to poop if you are being sick, but she seems to have a better hold on the situation than I do.

:wideyed:
I'm 29 y/o and this really isn't the most pleasant of things to happen XD!

Many thanks!

Rosie - You say you've been taking Metformin for 3 years? Are these issues you describe new? Mainly they start pretty early on, rather than a few years in.

I can't think of anyone whose bathroom issues have been irreversible from Metformin upsets, but it's best to have a chat through with your Doctor before changing your meds. He/She will have put you on it for a reason.

There is a slow release version of Metformin that many people find is more kindly to their gut. Have you tried that? Irrespective of that, there are many alternatives to Metformin, so don't be despondent.

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi DCUKMod,

No they're not new; It just occurs to me (as I have been persistently unwell in the last year) that this is a really annoying thing to happen.

Thank you, I'll ask my doctor :)

Yeah, I'm already taking the kinder stuff (I got on that as soon as I heard of it!) - Thank you!
Is anything as 'good' as metformin? I was told by my diabetic nurses that metformin is very good for me (& others?) for some reason.

Many thanks!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do ask to be swapped to Metformin SR (Slow Release) as it may help you. Metformin is a unique drug but which only ever has a small effect. It reduces the liver's glucose output and helps reduce insulin resistance. I still take it like many of us.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
which only ever has a small effect.

Small effect? For some, that might be true. I have to say that it's effectiveness seems to have lessened over the last 20 years. There was a time when even I would have beaten Usain Bolt in the 100 metres dash to the bathroom. Seems to have improved dramatically when I cut the carbs.

Tannith

BANNED
Leave a bowl in the WC. When you are about to be sick, sit on the toilet and throw up in the bowl. That works at home, but at work it is a great deal harder. Head for the disabled loo where it is easier to mop up.

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to come off metformin after a couple weeks coz of 'butt explosions' I'm now
on the prolonged release one.

Lisa

Tannith

BANNED
Nope it doesn't, this is just when I am ill for another reason.

Thanks all!
You could approach the problem by trying to treat/prevent the vomiting. I know this is difficult. I have vomiting migraines and gastroparesis as a result. I tried about 4/5 medicines that worked on the stomach to try to stop the vomiting but none worked. Then I tried one which works on the brain. (Its actually used as a travel sick pill mostly) Cinnarazine. That works to stop my vomiting. Could work for you.