Insulin doses and weight gain

Wayne18000

Hi. I was diagnosed at the beginning of may with probably type 2. I take 20 units of lantus in the morning and novorapid before breakfast 4 units 6 before lunch and 8 for dinner. When I was diagnosed in hospital I had lost just over a stone, I've put that back on and unfortunately have put on another stone recently. My blood sugar in the morning is now around 9 and before I put the extra stone on was between 6 and 7. After each meal my readings were roughly in range, well maybe a bit above but now they shoot up to about 15 to 17 2 hours after eating. My question is is this because of the extra weight I have put on? Does my long lasting lantus need to go higher? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Wayne18000

Hi. I was diagnosed at the beginning of may with probably type 2. I take 20 units of lantus in the morning and novorapid before breakfast 4 units 6 before lunch and 8 for dinner. When I was diagnosed in hospital I had lost just over a stone, I've put that back on and unfortunately have put on another stone recently. My blood sugar in the morning is now around 9 and before I put the extra stone on was between 6 and 7. After each meal my readings were roughly in range, well maybe a bit above but now they shoot up to about 15 to 17 2 hours after eating. My question is is this because of the extra weight I have put on? Does my long lasting lantus need to go higher? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, by the time my next meal is due my blood sugars reading have come down to between 8 and 9

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Wayne18000 Before you start changing your lantus dose you need to be doing a basal fasting test, quite easy to do: https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Doing a fasting test rules out any other possibilities and gives you a clear idea if it does need increasing - any change in weight will mean your insulin needs adjusting too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @Wayne18000

You seem to be going through the same issues that I had when I was injecting insulin. I ended up injecting more and more insulin and it didn't really seem to be working in the same way that it had right when I first started with the injections. I was on Lantus and Novorapid.

The weight gain (I gained a stone for each year I was on it) was one of the reasons that I decided to investigate if there was a way to reduce or get rid of the insulin completely and I eventually managed it by eating a very low carb diet. Since then I have been able to lose most of the weight I put on over those years.

If you like this idea then I would recommend you talk to your doctor or DN before starting.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is also possible you have type LADA and seeing the effects of less and less functioning beta cells. Good luck with finding out what goes wrong and how to remedy it!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Wayne18000

You seem to be going through the same issues that I had when I was injecting insulin. I ended up injecting more and more insulin and it didn't really seem to be working in the same way that it had right when I first started with the injections. I was on Lantus and Novorapid.

The weight gain (I gained a stone for each year I was on it) was one of the reasons that I decided to investigate if there was a way to reduce or get rid of the insulin completely and I eventually managed it by eating a very low carb diet. Since then I have been able to lose most of the weight I put on over those years.

If you like this idea then I would recommend you talk to your doctor or DN before starting.

Do you still produce sufficient insulin? The OP may not have sufficient insulin. I know I've been told I can't come off insulin as I'm deficient in it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I keep to a VERY low carb diet which I mostly have enough insulin for. I prefer to not eat carbs rather than inject insulin.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep to a VERY low carb diet which I mostly have enough insulin for. I prefer to not eat carbs rather than inject insulin.

If I don't take insulin my sugars are high and that's without food. It sounds like you have sufficient insulin so you're ok not being on insulin. So depends on what your c-peptide result was I suppose.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I don't take insulin my sugars are high and that's without food. It sounds like you have sufficient insulin so you're ok not being on insulin. So depends on what your c-peptide result was I suppose.
I have to take my insulin too or I'd climb and never come down. However like @Chook K would rather eat very low carbs and inject very low doses of insulin.

In fact without eating carbs it's hard for me to eat enough fat and protein to take one unotnqnd not drop. But this is also because of my stupid stomach. I think my stomach is worse than D if that's possible. It works for me as I do better with snacky meals more often. Then I fear not the hypos too. Laws of small numbers...as Bernstein says

Reactions: Mep