Type 1 for 41 years. Feels like I am losing my way.

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
How about posting some reminders around your home, those Post-it Notes are ideal for sticking to things like beside drawers, mirrors & fridge door where your likely to see them when you wake and go downstairs.

Haha! I already have post-it's everywhere, they usually end up stuck to us or the two dogs, still miss important reminders! Ideally a wee leprechaun who could run up in the morning etc and kick me in the shins and shout "insulin" now that would be perfect! ;)

Reactions: Crystalwand

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I like this guy's attitude. He's obviously been through the whole gamut in his 55 years. No meters. Animal insulins. Glass syringes. I bet he ain't testing for ketones lol. I bet he isn't testing for protein in his urine either. And he's OK to boot!
You're right - I haven't tested for ketones in years and when I see the doctor he tests for proteins but never finds any - but having said that I'm very active for my age - more so than my non diabetic friends.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Haha! I already have post-it's everywhere, they usually end up stuck to us or the two dogs, still miss important reminders! Ideally a wee leprechaun who could run up in the morning etc and kick me in the shins and shout "insulin" now that would be perfect! ;)

:D

With a pre-occupied mind (like yours is first thing in a morning) I can see how you could easily forget your insulin @fittaedae , hope you find a solution.

Reactions: fittaedae

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was in a similar position, overworked & my head was full of wee cars bumping in to each other & keeping on top of my diabetes was another "thing I had to do". I was burnt out. First thing I did was to get put on a carb counting course through the BUS & I bought off of Amazon the carbs & cals book, it's brilliant. I'm like you & stuck to a PC @ work, so I set up a spread sheet to record my BG results, what I'd eaten, what activities I'd done, etc. It really, really helped & put structure back in place. If you message me & I can give you more details, could even send you the spread sheet for a starter for you if you wanted. Best of luck.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was in a similar position, overworked & my head was full of wee cars bumping in to each other & keeping on top of my diabetes was another "thing I had to do". I was burnt out. First thing I did was to get put on a carb counting course through the BUS & I bought off of Amazon the carbs & cals book, it's brilliant. I'm like you & stuck to a PC @ work, so I set up a spread sheet to record my BG results, what I'd eaten, what activities I'd done, etc. It really, really helped & put structure back in place. If you message me & I can give you more details, could even send you the spread sheet for a starter for you if you wanted. Best of luck.
Sorry predictor text NHS not BUS!

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I now where you are at. I got Type one at 21 years of age and now 62. I deal with it by reminding myself what I have done and achieved. Two great daughters living in New Zealand with great lads as their partners. Travelled the world, held down senior and stressful jobs. Stayed active, retired from playing soccer 44 years of age. Surviving attack of Cellulitis after an injury, several times as it kept coming back and getting sepsis. Living in South Africa, Ireland, all over the UK and now running small business in Cyprus! Travelling the world and with the pain of customs, whats this sir can we check it, we must swab it, I have a pump. And the Diabetes is still a pain in the bum even with good control. I will tell you what though you have to pat yourself on the back and say well done to yourself as a lot of people do not understand the routines, the disappointments, the pain of being type one! My main thought is before 1921 and Banting and Best discovering insulin that could be injected we would all of us not been here, so putting up with the pain Hba1c results, visits to the hospital, check ups blood tests, special diets hell lets show the world we really can do it!!!! I consider myself the diabetic who can and screw anyone who thinks different, thats how I deal with it, I even give the Doctors hell if I think they are talking rubbish and yes they do sometimes! They can also be right as well which can be a bit infuriating, but the main thing is we are here and not alone worldwide we are millions.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@fittaedae . So sorry to hear of your struggles and I honestly wish I could offer something worthwhile.
Here goes a mere thought, my sister in law, not a diabetic, but a similar age to yourself a while back reached " an age " in her life ( I think you may have allluded to this, but not sure ). The dreaded menopause, to cut the story short, she became a totally different person to what we all knew. Strong, controlled, confident it all changed. She did get back on track but it took time.
As a guy, apologies if I'm completely wrong, I'm no expert on this subject.:)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

I was diagnosed as Type 1 at the age of 6, I am now 47 years old and have been relatively lucky that I have been well controlled and have minimal complications.

I work from home now for our small business and I find I "forget" to inject and test when I wake despite having two reminders on my phone. My blood sugars are constantly high and its starting to feel like I am losing the battle :(

I have been waking with burning feet and its scared the living hell out of me. I have spoken to my DSN and they want me to test regularly and detail food intake, exercise, mood etc to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Do any of you relate to this feeling? Just a feeling of apathy that seems to have sneaked up on me! I just cant seem to shake myself and get motivated to wise up! My poor brain is a fog and I'm getting very confused. But that could be my age :) How to you motivate yourself after so many years of being a pin cushion? I'd love to know how others deal with this. Thanks in advance :)

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya,

I was diagnosed as Type 1 at the age of 6, I am now 47 years old and have been relatively lucky that I have been well controlled and have minimal complications.

I work from home now for our small business and I find I "forget" to inject and test when I wake despite having two reminders on my phone. My blood sugars are constantly high and its starting to feel like I am losing the battle :(

I have been waking with burning feet and its scared the living hell out of me. I have spoken to my DSN and they want me to test regularly and detail food intake, exercise, mood etc to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Do any of you relate to this feeling? Just a feeling of apathy that seems to have sneaked up on me! I just cant seem to shake myself and get motivated to wise up! My poor brain is a fog and I'm getting very confused. But that could be my age :) How to you motivate yourself after so many years of being a pin cushion? I'd love to know how others deal with this. Thanks in advance :)
Hi
Nice to see that someone has reached burnout as I have.
Tomorrow I start DAFNE course in my local area, have you enquired about that? I am nervous and will be with other people the same as you and I, will I like that I am not sure, have no one I can turn to so I suppose it may be worthwhile, I dont know but will have to try and cure my burnout and hypos to date, hope you can enquire for some course near you, it may be quite a wait but will be support and worth it, I am sure....
I have been diabetic for 47 years and am struggling like you with forgetting, hypos, depression why oh why has it taken over my life, probably how you feel isnt it?
What area are you from?
MadMaureen xxx (soon to be!!)

Reactions: Sibyl

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How about injecting before you get out of bed each day?

My consultant says that long term 30+ years, some people do naturally struggle to keep control. But that was to me needing to inject at 4am every day!!

I too would not wake up to do this if hubby did not set alarm, dog not jump on bed and have alarm set on phone for 4am and 8am.

My injections are all on bedside cabinet. I have to take 3 each morning before getting out of bed and setting alarms and doing in bed is the only way for me.

If I do a basal in evening I am so often out doing things I forget so my two basals are done starting at4am with Insulatard, treaiba at 8am and my pre getting up bolus too.

Alarm clocks on phone is the only way for me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Can I ask what you do when your current reminders go off? Do you have your meter and insulin at your desk with you so when reminder comes up you act rather than having to go and look for it all in amongst the busy day stuff?

DMR175

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a collection of blood glucose meters. Having diabetes type 1 for 40 years has its perks.... I keep a blood tester in every room I use (not the laundry room tho). One in my purse, one in my car & one in husband's car. Keep one on your desk. There have been days when I've only tested once; can't we take a day off from our full-time diabetes work?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have a collection of blood glucose meters. Having diabetes type 1 for 40 years has its perks.... I keep a blood tester in every room I use (not the laundry room tho). One in my purse, one in my car & one in husband's car. Keep one on your desk. There have been days when I've only tested once; can't we take a day off from our full-time diabetes work?
Yes we can all have an "oh stuff the diabetes day" the problem is that if those days run into weeks and months we have more to worry about than most people.

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,

fittaeda. Sometimes we all go through the same kind of discouraging moments when we're diabetic. One thing I know about this disease is; depression, stress and anger affect the blood sugar level in a negative way as much as eating junk food does. I've gone through all those three mood episodes and can testify to that. I don't know if this lifts up your spirit or not but want to remind you there are people who are in a far worse condition than you're yet not giving up. I live with Emery Dryfus Muscular dystrophy, I've a pacemaker/defibrillator implant, secondary thoracic vertebrae scoliosis, diabetes, high blood pressure and retinopathy(God knows what else, will find out on my next appointment). I weigh 100 pounds which is pretty skinny for a 5'9" guy and live alone with no friends or pets. I am very sedentary because of the nature of my work and hardly exercise(just some 10 minutes brisk walk on the week days). But despite the odds, I managed to control my diabetes and blood pressure. If you're not a believer, try to find God . . . . faith by itself has a positive impact on your glucose. I don't have anything in this world that I can rely on. life by itself is too short but if I believe there is a God and there is a better place on the other side, I stress less about this life and just meditating on that helps improve my overall health. Don't loose hope.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting, I will run this past our accountant. Thank you :)

You might not need to! Peppergirl's just posted a thread with a link to an announcement saying that libre has been approved for the NHS:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/libre-on-nhs.126334/#post-1559138

Each individual health area formulary will still have to ok it for prescription in their area and that process is likely to take some time, but it's definitely a step forward.

I've been using it for about a year now, it definitely levels the playing field, takes a lot of the unpredictability out of T1, well, doesn't remove it entirely, but when you can see from the graph that levels are trending down towards 4, just being able to proactively take 5g so that the hypo never even happens, it makes it a much fairer game.

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
You're right - I haven't tested for ketones in years and when I see the doctor he tests for proteins but never finds any - but having said that I'm very active for my age - more so than my non diabetic friends.

My GP is a nightmare just now, cant get ketosticks as they are not "necessary", if I don't order stuff on repeat approximately every two months they remove off of their repeat prescription online and you have to book an appointment with your registered GP to get it put back on, taking on average 3 weeks to get an appointment :( Diabetes Nurse asked my if I had Glucagon... not been able to get for over 10 years as they dont think it "necessary" Feels like they are deliberately being awkward to be honest!

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
You might not need to! Peppergirl's just posted a thread with a link to an announcement saying that libre has been approved for the NHS:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/libre-on-nhs.126334/#post-1559138

Each individual health area formulary will still have to ok it for prescription in their area and that process is likely to take some time, but it's definitely a step forward.

I've been using it for about a year now, it definitely levels the playing field, takes a lot of the unpredictability out of T1, well, doesn't remove it entirely, but when you can see from the graph that levels are trending down towards 4, just being able to proactively take 5g so that the hypo never even happens, it makes it a much fairer game.

Just saw that on Twitter about an hour ago! Bet my GP wont allow it though :(

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
fittaeda. Sometimes we all go through the same kind of discouraging moments when we're diabetic. One thing I know about this disease is; depression, stress and anger affect the blood sugar level in a negative way as much as eating junk food does. I've gone through all those three mood episodes and can testify to that. I don't know if this lifts up your spirit or not but want to remind you there are people who are in a far worse condition than you're yet not giving up. I live with Emery Dryfus Muscular dystrophy, I've a pacemaker/defibrillator implant, secondary thoracic vertebrae scoliosis, diabetes, high blood pressure and retinopathy(God knows what else, will find out on my next appointment). I weigh 100 pounds which is pretty skinny for a 5'9" guy and live alone with no friends or pets. I am very sedentary because of the nature of my work and hardly exercise(just some 10 minutes brisk walk on the week days). But despite the odds, I managed to control my diabetes and blood pressure. If you're not a believer, try to find God . . . . faith by itself has a positive impact on your glucose. I don't have anything in this world that I can rely on. life by itself is too short but if I believe there is a God and there is a better place on the other side, I stress less about this life and just meditating on that helps improve my overall health. Don't loose hope.

I hear you, I am under a lot of stress at the moment due to our business and my parents are both ill, I also have high blood pressure and got a ASD occluder fitted in my heart two years ago to close a hole in my heart I had had since childhood. I lost my well paying job in the oil industry after being systematically bullied and victimised (for being a Diabetic and therefore "special" and basically for just breathing, any excuse to be honest, it was torture) by a close working colleague for 6+ years and during that time I attempted to take my own life, I came to my senses one day and just walked out of the job as my life is far more important. I have vowed I will speak out and never let it get that bad again :(

I hear you and yes I know that there are people worse off I am in my way looking for sympathy, just advice and camaraderie!

I am by the way an Athiest... god and religion have a lot to answer for in today's troubles in the world (but that's just my opinion!)

I am glad you find help in religion, I know my mother who has MS finds help in praying. I will stick to my music collection, my sewing and occasional meditation (when I get peace to fit it in!) and see how I go!

Peace, love and light Add19, stay well and positive, thanks for your advice :)

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
Can I ask what you do when your current reminders go off? Do you have your meter and insulin at your desk with you so when reminder comes up you act rather than having to go and look for it all in amongst the busy day stuff?

Insulin and kit in my bag at my feet so I have it to hand and will hear the reminder alarm. Have just ignored it before because I was too busy! I know not good!

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!
How about injecting before you get out of bed each day?

My consultant says that long term 30+ years, some people do naturally struggle to keep control. But that was to me needing to inject at 4am every day!!

I too would not wake up to do this if hubby did not set alarm, dog not jump on bed and have alarm set on phone for 4am and 8am.

My injections are all on bedside cabinet. I have to take 3 each morning before getting out of bed and setting alarms and doing in bed is the only way for me.

If I do a basal in evening I am so often out doing things I forget so my two basals are done starting at4am with Insulatard, treaiba at 8am and my pre getting up bolus too.

Alarm clocks on phone is the only way for me.

That's a great idea! My insulin kit (and massive handbag) go everywhere with me along with phones (work and personal) so I will give that a try. Thanks for that idea :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs