one step forward two back how do people find 5/2

James2

hi all
i have high blood pressure on four tablets and have type 2 for just over a year and take Metformin, my HbA1c came down from high 90'S TO 48 my cholesterol is in the healthy range( i do have a fatty liver ) i am obese and weigh 19 stone 13lbs it was over 21 stone
i have found 16/8 worked well combined with increasing my exercise. (this has been walking) i have a number of health problems that limit what i can do on the exercise front
i will be retiring in jan 18 and that will be a huge relief and stress reducer
my blood pressure has gone up no idea why my cardiologist says it is my weight even though that is slowly coming down, however high BP and diabetes is not good even though my blood sugars are coming down once they were 15 + now 7 and 8.5
to 10 after a meal
due to fatty liver a i am doing low carb low fat
i am have started to do the 5/2 fast as well as 16/8 and just wondering how people on the 5/2 find it
Best Wishes
James2

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya @James2 !

You've taken a lot of positive steps and have seen some good results - congratulations! But now you're on the edge of some big changes.

It's easy to think on the sunny side of retirement, but it's really a huge thing, and it's the type of event where the actual implications get pushed to the back of our minds because everyone is being so cheerful and positive about it. "Gosh, all that time on your hands! You can get the <garden / garage / extension / dream holiday / loft conversion / etc> you've always dreamed of now!" makes it almost impossible to say "Yeah, but I can't believe I'm going out to pasture already..." and so the major implications of something as huge and life-changing as retirement (or menopause, that's a big one for us girls) are never actually talked about but, instead, stay lurking quietly in the back of our minds.

I suspect that's got a little to do with your blood pressure rising a little - you're still carrying all those thoughts and feelings, but might not be able to express or process them. You say it'll be a "huge relief" and "stress reducer", and I really hope that's true for you, but it's different this time - give yourself some time to adjust and process what's about to happen. Ending a ******, stressful job is one thing, but this is a bit bigger than that ;)

I'm curious, though, I understand that you've seen success with the 16/8, and I can see the logic in low-carbing to improve your liver health, but why are you adding 5/2 into all that, too? Maybe it's just a little change too far? Low-carbing is a big thing to grapple with on its own, especially when you're already following a fasting plan (those carbs don't let us go easily).

I admire your determination and really have my fingers crossed that you'll have a happy - and healthy - retirement. While I'm just one (inexperienced) opinion amid a vast sea of people here, I wonder whether making one diet change at a time would make your journey a little easier.

Sock x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask why you choose low fat? And how low carb are you going?

James2

May I ask why you choose low fat? And how low carb are you going?
hi
i attended the diabetic x- pert program and have been on this forum so from a blood sugar point of view reducing carbs is a key component , i decided to not do the high because of my fatty liver it is a bit of chicken and egg, i hope as my weight goes down that i can reduce the amount of fat around the liver, i know it is reversible as with everything life style , diet and exercise all help
hence putting the 16/8 fasting in to it and now adding the 5/2
best wishes
James2

Reactions: Guzzler

James2

Heya @James2 !

You've taken a lot of positive steps and have seen some good results - congratulations! But now you're on the edge of some big changes.

It's easy to think on the sunny side of retirement, but it's really a huge thing, and it's the type of event where the actual implications get pushed to the back of our minds because everyone is being so cheerful and positive about it. "Gosh, all that time on your hands! You can get the <garden / garage / extension / dream holiday / loft conversion / etc> you've always dreamed of now!" makes it almost impossible to say "Yeah, but I can't believe I'm going out to pasture already..." and so the major implications of something as huge and life-changing as retirement (or menopause, that's a big one for us girls) are never actually talked about but, instead, stay lurking quietly in the back of our minds.

I suspect that's got a little to do with your blood pressure rising a little - you're still carrying all those thoughts and feelings, but might not be able to express or process them. You say it'll be a "huge relief" and "stress reducer", and I really hope that's true for you, but it's different this time - give yourself some time to adjust and process what's about to happen. Ending a ******, stressful job is one thing, but this is a bit bigger than that ;)

I'm curious, though, I understand that you've seen success with the 16/8, and I can see the logic in low-carbing to improve your liver health, but why are you adding 5/2 into all that, too? Maybe it's just a little change too far? Low-carbing is a big thing to grapple with on its own, especially when you're already following a fasting plan (those carbs don't let us go easily).

I admire your determination and really have my fingers crossed that you'll have a happy - and healthy - retirement. While I'm just one (inexperienced) opinion amid a vast sea of people here, I wonder whether making one diet change at a time would make your journey a little easier.

Sock x
hi
there is a lot of wisdom in your post and i appreciate the support , i was lucky as work provided a pre -retirement day which was very thought provoking and helpful
the trigger for putting the 5/2 was a visit to my cardiologist i have a number of health problems and i am trying to stop the list getting longer
best wishes
James 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Losing weight will certainly help with the fatty liver, but it isn't dietary fat that puts it there, it is the carbs that do this.
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/08/09/the-most-unutterable-balls/

How many grams of carbs are you eating?

Just as a PS I have been fully retired since 2000 and have never looked back. The first thing I did was to disable my alarm clock ... which I did with great joy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Edited to add a link and correct an error.

Last edited:

James2

Losing weight will certainly help with the fatty liver, but it isn't dietary fat that puts it there, it is the carbs that do this.
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/08/09/the-most-unutterable-balls/

How many grams of carbs are you eating?

Just as a PS I have been fully retired since 2000 and have never looked back. The first thing I did was to disable my alarm clock ... which I did with great joy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Edited to add a link and correct an error.
hi
right thanks for that, this is why this forum is helpful ,i am always learning from people threads.
i was using 100 grams of carbs as my target but i have reduced that to 50 grams.
i think the challenge for retirement and it is a nice one, is that i will be time rich , the pre- retirement day has been helpful in looking at what i will do but also about the things i get from work that is positive and how i can replicate it in my retirement
many thanks
James 2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Too much fruit can exacerbate fatty liver. Also you mention ailments. Are all your tablets neccessary? Some tablets give the liver difficulty. Steriods can make insulin resistance worse.
Its getting the right carbs and lowering meds to reduce or get rid of fatty liver.