Sugar testing

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pump says I'm testing 9 times on average.

How much is too much, 20 times might be classed as excessive but it depends on what your trying to achieve by testing too much.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey @alphabeta I'm a type 1 and I usually check my blood sugar 8 - 10 times a day. It's quite a lot but I like to make sure I'm not hypoing and all :)

Wayne78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wasting my time on frivolous matters
  • Hello
    [*]How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?
  • for me it is twice,however, it is base on your current situation and the need for data.
  • check it first in morning, before each meal and 2 hours after each meal.
  • rhis will provide you with vital information on which type of food affects your BSL,also keep a log of the foods and the readings

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a dietcontrolled type 2 i check like once a day. Some days i dont bother checking at all and somedays i check 2-3 times.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hello
How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?
Hi @alphabeta Great question.
Just an opinion but I hope including a suggestion on your question that provides further data, might be of additional benefit?.
The answers to your question "How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?" can only be fully appreciated once those answers have been allocated into their respective type 1's or type 2' groupings, and whether on insulin regimes or on meds or on diet only etc. If the answers don't include their diabetic status (Type 1, Type 2 or Other) and what if any current medical regime is as part of their answer than those answers in isolation are not going to be as helpful as the question first posed might initially appear.
Might I suggest that respondents to this question answer with additional data like whether they are on Insulin or meds (Metformin etc) or diet only and if they test "X" times if they could qualify why "X" times? Obviously if it is in anticipation of their insulin shot dosage or if they are checking re BG control reaction to certain foods consumed or whether one is testing to know if they might suffer from potential high Blood Glucose levels before undertaking formal follow up testings, than the reason for testing and the amount of times one checks makes more sense when trying to understand the reasons why people test so many or not so many times rather than just reading random numbers in isolation.. As I say, just a suggestion but still a great question.

Last edited:

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @alphabeta Great question.
Just an opinion but I hope including a suggestion on your question that provides further data, might be of additional benefit?.
The answers to your question "How many times do you check your sugar per day? How many is too much?" can only be fully appreciated once those answers have been allocated into their respective type 1's or type 2' groupings, and whether on insulin regimes or on meds or on diet only etc. If the answers don't include their diabetic status (Type 1, Type 2 or Other) and what if any current medical regime is as part of their answer than those answers in isolation are not going to be as helpful as the question first posed might initially appear.
Might I suggest that respondents to this question answer with additional data like whether they are on Insulin or meds (Metformin etc) or diet only and if they test "X" times if they could qualify why "X" times? Obviously if it is in anticipation of their insulin shot dosage or if they are checking re BG control reaction to certain foods consumed or whether one is testing to know if they might suffer from potential high Blood Glucose levels before undertaking formal follow up testings, than the reason for testing and the amount of times one checks makes more sense when trying to understand the reasons why people test so many or not so many times rather than just reading random numbers in isolation.. As I say, just a suggestion but still a great question.
I'm type 1 diabetic since 2009 I'm not sure what is my current insulinregime since I'm using Lantus and Premix..I test around 7 times a day

Reactions: Robert_D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On basal/bolus injections. Now I use the Libre, but before I tested at least twelve times a day. Waking up, before an after food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack) and before bed, which makes ten times. And then for driving and highs and lows.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On basal/bolus injections. Now I use the Libre, but before I tested at least twelve times a day. Waking up, before an after food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack) and before bed, which makes ten times. And then for driving and highs and lows.
I see I think that number is okayish

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a t1 and I test around 6-8 times a day. Mentioned to gp nurse and she said that was too much - however as I’m newly diagnosed I feel the more info I have on how i respond to various meals etc the better.
I figure it’s our own fingertips to its up to us ;)

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a t1 and I test around 6-8 times a day. Mentioned to gp nurse and she said that was too much - however as I’m newly diagnosed I feel the more info I have on how i respond to various meals etc the better.
I figure it’s our own fingertips to its up to us ;)
Very true and it isn't too much at all tge nurse is speaking from an economic perspective only

Reactions: lou258

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm type 2 and when I first got my meter I was testing eight times a day for exactly the same reason, to learn. I am not insulin dependant but I still test before and after meals.
You must do as many or as few as you are comfortable with.