Can't loose weight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi just joined the forum today so wanted to post this, been a type 2 diabetic since 2012 and for last 2 years been injecting myself twice a day with insulin around 44 units, in February my diabetes was a mess I was around 88 when I seen my Nurse for a diabetic review, I then started to change my diet and decided to exercise, since February I eat Fish(Mackrel or Salmon) with salad and raw veg for lunch at work and eat things like Quorn, I have cut down on all forms of Carbs, I go to the gym 4 times a week and do 60 minutes of Cardio work and 20 minutes of weights, but I cannot seem to loose weight, I went for a diabetic review in July and my reading had gone down to 45 and my nurse was very pleased with my results. I'm not perfect I still eat to much chocolate(Dark rather than Milk) and love a Curry once a week and Fish and Chips once a week. Would you say stick to what I'm doing and don't worry about not losing weight? Be interested in your advice.

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion weight is not the problem it's cracked up to be. Visceral fat is a problem but subcutaneous fat .........not so much.

I would guess that your diet change is one that your liver likes but you may have some way to go on the chocolate issues but enjoy it while you can.

My personal opinion is to consume less fructose and alcohol (not saying that you ever did) and stop worrying so much about the weight since the more you low carb the more you will plateau at your correct weight.

Avoid sugar and alcohol and enjoy life until such times as you really have to give up stuff.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the advice as far as chocolate goes I only eat small bars of Dark Chocolate maybe 3 times a week, I don't drink as I spend everyday driving and I hate sugar in Tea or on weetabix, fruit I love but I maybe eat 1 banana a day and a apple.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In my opinion weight is not the problem it's cracked up to be. Visceral fat is a problem but subcutaneous fat .........not so much.

I would guess that your diet change is one that your liver likes but you may have some way to go on the chocolate issues but enjoy it while you can.

My personal opinion is to consume less fructose and alcohol (not saying that you ever did) and stop worrying so much about the weight since the more you low carb the more you will plateau at your correct weight.

Avoid sugar and alcohol and enjoy life until such times as you really have to give up stuff.
Before dx I did not know that I was a TOFI so the question of visceral fat worries me, greatly. I just wish that there was an easy, cheap way of measuring VF so that I understand exactly where I am re risk to my organs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice as far as chocolate goes I only eat small bars of Dark Chocolate maybe 3 times a week, I don't drink as I spend everyday driving and I hate sugar in Tea or on weetabix, fruit I love but I maybe eat 1 banana a day and a apple.
Hi. Bananas are not a good idea as they are high in high GI carbs. I wonder whether you could reduce your carbs a little bit further. Is your dark chocolate 70% or 85% etc. Anything lower than 85% is still high in carbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Couple of things.
Firstly you don't say how tall you are or what you weigh so it is difficult to work out if you should worry about not losing weight.
Secondly you seem to be eating Weetabix and bananas. This is not really going low carbohydrate.

Mark_1

I'd be wanting to cut down on the insulin with the goal of coming off it altogether longer term, if possible. To try to do this I'd carb count and test lots. Only you can decide if your happy at your current weight. Health is the most important thing not a number on the scale for me. I think a better measure is waist to height, a long term goal of could be a waist size of about half your height.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A medium banana has 27 carbs and 15 sugars. A medium apple has 25 carbs and 18 sugars. This is not low carb as far as I'm concerned. I'd balloon out. Try replacing them with more above ground veggies and don't forget healthy fats IF you're low carb enough.

How much protein do you eat a day?
How many carbs?
How much fat?

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello I had a change of meds to get success in losing weight,,although I am not using insulin, I use Victoza once a day,,metformin 2x2 daily and Canagliflozin once a day,,and stopped the Gliclazide,,so I have gone from 134 kg,,to 106 kg,,since June 2016,,I have gone through the 'pee a lot' side effect,,but it is worth it to be lighter,, it is sad that you are struggling with getting to the weight you want to be,,and the dreaded carbs are are always a struggle,,I cannot have dark chocolate as it gives me migraine,,and as we all do cut down on the levels of fats and stuff,,, I hope you get the balance that you want,,,good luck,,ttfn from karen.

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No weetabix, no chips, no batter on the fish, no bananas, no apples, no milk chocolate, curry- no rice ,poppadums (not even lentils for me)! I know its miserable and boring but aim for zero carbs until your weight is down and then if the odd carbs sneak in( like a carrot) its not so bad.
The fact that you are injecting insulin presumably means you're not producing enough insulin rather than being insulin resistant. Can this be reversed in the same way by losing weight as those of us who are insulin resistant ? Can someone answer this for me?
It does of course also depend on your weight , BMI, Hba1c etc

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello veggirl,,,all veggies are high carb,,so you are in a big circle,,,the best success rates are the LCHF diet,,low carb high fat,,which I take to be protein,,meat, chicken, cheese etc. as this takes the body a long time to break down and so you are fuller for longer,,,and then your bs levels go down,,and so it could well help the bmi, weight and the Hba1c results,,,everybody has to get the right balance to get to where they want to be,,I cannot manage zero carbs,,but I have more fluids than food during the day,,to feel full for longer,,not that I ate many of the foods you like,,I hope somebody else who does use insulin can be of more help,,there have been cases where success has resulted in their stopping of meds,,good luck,,ttfn from karen.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello veggirl,,,all veggies are high carb,,so you are in a big circle,,,the best success rates are the LCHF diet,,low carb high fat,,which I take to be protein,,meat, chicken, cheese etc. as this takes the body a long time to break down and so you are fuller for longer,,,and then your bs levels go down,,and so it could well help the bmi, weight and the Hba1c results,,,everybody has to get the right balance to get to where they want to be,,I cannot manage zero carbs,,but I have more fluids than food during the day,,to feel full for longer,,not that I ate many of the foods you like,,I hope somebody else who does use insulin can be of more help,,there have been cases where success has resulted in their stopping of meds,,good luck,,ttfn from karen.
Not all veggies are high carb. Some vegetables (generally those that grow above ground) are low carb. I think it unwise to cut all vegetables from one's diet long term. Fruit is high in carbs but there are the fruits with 'berry' in the name that are acceptable in small quantities and eaten as part of a meal rather than a stand alone snack.

Reactions: Mark_1

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi

I think the answer to weight is in your posts, chocolate 3 times a week, fish and chips once a week, curry once a week, maybe too much fruit (bananas) weetabix etc etc.

Try the low carb diet, what you are eating is not good for your BS levels or your weight in my opinion.