Advice on testing - prediabetes

MickieB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was told I had prediabetes last January. After going LCHF I lost weight and dropped a dress size. I asked my surgery to send me for a glucose tolerance test but my doc/nurse seemed to get short with me, telling me I was no longer prediabetic (good news).

This week I recognised the return of the symptoms that sent me to the doc in January. What I'm wondering is would it help me to monitor my blood glucose myself and, if so, what is the least complicated way to do so? I went too far in easing up on my LCHF diet so I know I've got to get back on the wagon, too.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Buy a monitor, some strips, keep a record of the figures and what you eat and test regularly

Reactions: MickieB
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is least complicated. There is accurate and there is affordable and you have to decide what you want.
Least complicated is something like Libre which will cost you a £50 scanner and £50 every two weeks for a sensor.
Accurate is something like a Freestyle Freedom Lite which means buying the test strip which are eye watering expensive.
Or you can get an SD for about £8 and test strips for about £5 a pot and learn to live with it and there is a TEE2 which is free but you still have to buy test strips.
None of this is without complication.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MickieB ,

I can't argue with the above advice.. General rule of thumb for strip testing times is on waking, before each meal, then two hours later.. Then before bed.. Keep an honest log of what is eaten too.

The best thing you can do is invest in a meter!

Good luck.

MickieB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, this advice is helpful. Can I ask...is there a chart template I can obtain/download? It's awful to have pre-d symptoms again when I was told to forget it. Documenting my carb intake and general foods must surely help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, this advice is helpful. Can I ask...is there a chart template I can obtain/download? It's awful to have pre-d symptoms again when I was told to forget it. Documenting my carb intake and general foods must surely help.

Blimey! There are apps you can download to your phone (Androud or IOS.) the likes of Diaconnect or Mysugr? That will log carb intake & BS levels.. They can even draw up nice graphs..

MickieB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! There are apps you can download to your phone (Androud or IOS.) the likes of Diaconnect or Mysgr? That will log carb intake & BS levels.. They can even draw up nice graphs..

Ha ha, I must sound a bit pathetic, but I've not had to seek this info before and my doc is far from an empath so I feel I have to go it alone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those apps.

D

Deleted member 308541

Can I ask...is there a chart template I can obtain/download? It's awful to have pre-d symptoms again when I was told to forget it. Documenting my carb intake and general foods must surely help.
If you do not have a mobile device, you can download a free Excel template for Windows from here, the templates work for both Libre Office and Open Office also.

You will need to scroll down to the General Health Charts and Logs section

https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/exercise-charts-and-logs.html

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ha, I must sound a bit pathetic, but I've not had to seek this info before and my doc is far from an empath so I feel I have to go it alone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those apps.

Hey! No problem. There are printouts (PDF.) online if you prefer paper. But there is also a wealth of paperless tools too...

Just seen your post @Tipetoo , cheers matey!

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MickieB. I've used MyFitnessPal for ages so didn't seem sensible to move from that for food tracking and then I've linked it with the my health iPhone app where you can record your blood glucose. If you then favourite carbs and blood glucose these will be the first two things you see when you load the app. Screenshot attached. It's not perfect because it doesn't let you tag readings as pre or post meals but it does give you average readings. I couldn't find an app that integrated with MyFitnessPal and I really don't want to log food twice (once is boring enough...) Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_5528.PNG
    IMG_5528.PNG
    109.3 KB · Views: 212

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you go for the Libre it has great charts once you connect your reader to the software on your PC.
For all other logging, I tried a few templates downloaded but in the end I changed my logging on MyFitnessPal to be more carb focussed (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, medication) and I put my Libre readings and my workouts/exercise all on there. Just two sets of reports to print when I go for my review. Simples.