Marathonmona's 8 week 800 calorie diet

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Mr Chook is spot on, no feeling guilty as that is counter productive, chalk it up to experience :D

Reactions: Freema

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm finally home and I've been very naughty food-wise today. Mr Chook says I ought to class it as an experiment.... :sorry::sorry::sorry:

That was me nearly all of last week! Hope you enjoyed it while you were at it haha.

Think I'm PMSing. Not entirely sure as periods are a bit all over the place. Also suffering a lovely cold.

I was mega late this morning so no weight or BG.

I must say I'm finding getting even close to 1000 calories a struggle . I'm missing my LCHF 'normal' meals but of course I don't lose weight with them- I have to restrict calories.

I feel lost!!

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook oh have a great time, I'm sure you will x

@marathonmona woohoo! Not perfect is pretty much life. So glad you feel better

I saw the dr today and asked about possible support for fasting but she said the NHS probably doesn't support it although was happy to recommend IF but I'm doing that already as I mostly eat once a day. So I asked her if I might be a good study case for someone looking into fasting.... clutching at straws. The book says that even if you aren't on meds but are diabetic then you should be monitored. Also would be interesting to see what it's doing physically.

The book also mentions a 27 year old Scottish man that fasted for over a year with no serious side effects in 1973 (he was 456 pounds and went down to 180 pounds). Would so love to get in touch with him but have no idea where to start.

@thepolly, are you losing weight on OMAD? Do you LCHF and calorie count?

Yes I've read about that chap!

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
@thepolly, are you losing weight on OMAD? Do you LCHF and calorie count?

Yes I've read about that chap!
I lost weight on the BSD when I did that and am very slowly losing weight with one meal a day, had lost a kilo since I last weighed at my DN appt some months ago.... have been low carb for over a year except when I eat sweet potato fries when I'm out but mostly just have a salad instead of fries/chips. I'm not particularly cal counting atm and I don't think my macros are great, just being a bit obsessed about what fasting 'could' do for me.

I used to use my fitness pal but stopped when I discovered that under armour is one of the companies that supports those idiots that go 'trophy hunting'. Started using fat secret but it's not the same. Really should make more of an effort to record my meals

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Assuming your last set of kidney tests etc were normal I see no real risk with fasts upto 48hrs provided to know how to control andy drugs/insulin you are on to stop BG going to low and you drink lots of water. Over 48hr you have to think about salt intake etc.

(I would not say this to someone who has not been doing 23hr fasts with no issues.)

Reactions: thepolly

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urine test has never been an issue but other than that I haven't had any specific kidney tests. I don't take any drugs at all so that's not a problem - need to try and drink more though. I ate about lunch time today and not hungry so will see how long it takes for me to be properly hungry beyond the pangs that are mostly ignorable after a while. Thanks for the input, ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect you have had kidney function tests, they are part of the standard NHS blood tests that everyone with diabetes should get and your doctor with have told you if there is a problem.

Reactions: thepolly

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think this diet is working for me.... I've been away staying with friends over the last few days which is why I've been a bit quiet - but this is what happened to me on the way home

I'm home :)

And I had an interesting experience today on the journey home .... I was so hungry at lunchtime that I started feeling a bid odd and light headed and I thought that if I didn't eat something I might faint - I even thought I might eat one of my dogs ;) - so we stopped at a chippy on the way home and I had fish 'n' chips (yes.. REAL chips) and mushy peas -my BG before eating was 5.4 and of course then I felt really guilty and worried so I took my BG 1 hour later which was 6.1, two hours later 6.0, three hours later 5.8 and I've just taken it again and its down to 5.4. I'm really surprised!!

The only issue I had after eating was feeling a bit nauseous but that could have been because of the fat and the car ride.

I'm off on my travels again tomorrow (only came home yesterday for breast screening today) - but I will be back on the ND straight and narrow on Sunday. xx

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Assuming your last set of kidney tests etc were normal I see no real risk with fasts upto 48hrs provided to know how to control andy drugs/insulin you are on to stop BG going to low and you drink lots of water. Over 48hr you have to think about salt intake etc.

(I would not say this to someone who has not been doing 23hr fasts with no issues.)
Just a question, if you don't mind. After a 48 hour fast do you eat a "normal" me for you, I know on much longer fasts it is not a good idea.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well everyone, I'm not quite sure what to do. Since the end of week 4 I've not really been following the plan as I've struggled with hunger and the last ten days with cravings, which I've given in to more than once.
I've lost 16 lbs and did that in just over a month. It's a great plan, it really is but I just cannot stick to it at the moment. I need more food. I desperately don't want to now leave it at this and spend the next year just toying with the same few pounds... in short, I need to lose weight but my body needs more fuel.
I'll have a little think about a plan... I'm thinking maybe 1200 calories or intermittent fasting. Maybe dropping the dairy...I must admit, I struggle with any plan I'm on!
I desperately don't want to lose contact with the fabulous people on here though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well everyone, I'm not quite sure what to do. Since the end of week 4 I've not really been following the plan as I've struggled with hunger and the last ten days with cravings, which I've given in to more than once.
I've lost 16 lbs and did that in just over a month. It's a great plan, it really is but I just cannot stick to it at the moment. I need more food. I desperately don't want to now leave it at this and spend the next year just toying with the same few pounds... in short, I need to lose weight but my body needs more fuel.
I'll have a little think about a plan... I'm thinking maybe 1200 calories or intermittent fasting. Maybe dropping the dairy...I must admit, I struggle with any plan I'm on!
I desperately don't want to lose contact with the fabulous people on here though.

I get on well with intermittent fasting - skipping breakfast every day and lunch as well 2-3 times a week and even eating pretty high fat foods, staying between 800 and 1,200 calories a day is fairly easy (with the odd day over or under that range). And if I get very hungry I just eat! Weight loss has been good (although a little slower now I’m getting closer to my initial target) and blood sugars have come down consistently.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get on well with intermittent fasting - skipping breakfast every day and lunch as well 2-3 times a week and even eating pretty high fat foods, staying between 800 and 1,200 calories a day is fairly easy (with the odd day over or under that range). And if I get very hungry I just eat! Weight loss has been good (although a little slower now I’m getting closer to my initial target) and blood sugars have come down consistently.

How long have you been doing this Goonergal and how much have you lost? If you don't mind me asking

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been doing this Goonergal and how much have you lost? If you don't mind me asking

I started skipping breakfast around May of this year and added in skipping lunch towards the end of June. Just had a look back at weekly weigh ins and have lost almost exactly 20kg since 5th May - lost about 10kg between December and May so pace of losing definitely picked up.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started skipping breakfast around May of this year and added in skipping lunch towards the end of June. Just had a look back at weekly weigh ins and have lost almost exactly 20kg since 5th May - lost about 10kg between December and May so pace of losing definitely picked up.

Wow. That's a fab amount of weight! I did this for about ten days back in June and lost about 5 pound. Never gained it back when I stopped. I did think about food all day though and found it very hard not to raid the cupboard when I got home haha.

Reactions: Goonergal