1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Marathonmona's 8 week 800 calorie diet

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by marathonmona, Aug 16, 2017.

1. thepolly

thepolly Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mr Chook is spot on, no feeling guilty as that is counter productive, chalk it up to experience :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. marathonmona

marathonmona Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That was me nearly all of last week! Hope you enjoyed it while you were at it haha.

Think I'm PMSing. Not entirely sure as periods are a bit all over the place. Also suffering a lovely cold.

I was mega late this morning so no weight or BG.

I must say I'm finding getting even close to 1000 calories a struggle . I'm missing my LCHF 'normal' meals but of course I don't lose weight with them- I have to restrict calories.

I feel lost!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. marathonmona

@thepolly, are you losing weight on OMAD? Do you LCHF and calorie count?

Yes I've read about that chap!

4. marathonmona

Try this link. His name is Angus Barbieri.

5. marathonmona

6. thepolly

I lost weight on the BSD when I did that and am very slowly losing weight with one meal a day, had lost a kilo since I last weighed at my DN appt some months ago.... have been low carb for over a year except when I eat sweet potato fries when I'm out but mostly just have a salad instead of fries/chips. I'm not particularly cal counting atm and I don't think my macros are great, just being a bit obsessed about what fasting 'could' do for me.

I used to use my fitness pal but stopped when I discovered that under armour is one of the companies that supports those idiots that go 'trophy hunting'. Started using fat secret but it's not the same. Really should make more of an effort to record my meals

• Like Like x 2
  7. thepolly

OOh thanks :D

8. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Assuming your last set of kidney tests etc were normal I see no real risk with fasts upto 48hrs provided to know how to control andy drugs/insulin you are on to stop BG going to low and you drink lots of water. Over 48hr you have to think about salt intake etc.

(I would not say this to someone who has not been doing 23hr fasts with no issues.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. thepolly

Urine test has never been an issue but other than that I haven't had any specific kidney tests. I don't take any drugs at all so that's not a problem - need to try and drink more though. I ate about lunch time today and not hungry so will see how long it takes for me to be properly hungry beyond the pangs that are mostly ignorable after a while. Thanks for the input, ringi

10. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I expect you have had kidney function tests, they are part of the standard NHS blood tests that everyone with diabetes should get and your doctor with have told you if there is a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. marathonmona

This morning a weight loss of that other pound that had found its way to me... so I've lost 16lbs in total.
    FBG was 6.8 this morning.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I think this diet is working for me.... I've been away staying with friends over the last few days which is why I've been a bit quiet - but this is what happened to me on the way home

I'm off on my travels again tomorrow (only came home yesterday for breast screening today) - but I will be back on the ND straight and narrow on Sunday. xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. marathonmona

Wow Chook. That's really really good!! Congrats!

Hope you enjoyed it!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Just a question, if you don't mind. After a 48 hour fast do you eat a "normal" me for you, I know on much longer fasts it is not a good idea.

15. marathonmona

Well everyone, I'm not quite sure what to do. Since the end of week 4 I've not really been following the plan as I've struggled with hunger and the last ten days with cravings, which I've given in to more than once.
    I've lost 16 lbs and did that in just over a month. It's a great plan, it really is but I just cannot stick to it at the moment. I need more food. I desperately don't want to now leave it at this and spend the next year just toying with the same few pounds... in short, I need to lose weight but my body needs more fuel.
    I'll have a little think about a plan... I'm thinking maybe 1200 calories or intermittent fasting. Maybe dropping the dairy...I must admit, I struggle with any plan I'm on!
    I desperately don't want to lose contact with the fabulous people on here though.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I get on well with intermittent fasting - skipping breakfast every day and lunch as well 2-3 times a week and even eating pretty high fat foods, staying between 800 and 1,200 calories a day is fairly easy (with the odd day over or under that range). And if I get very hungry I just eat! Weight loss has been good (although a little slower now I’m getting closer to my initial target) and blood sugars have come down consistently.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. marathonmona

How long have you been doing this Goonergal and how much have you lost? If you don't mind me asking

18. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I started skipping breakfast around May of this year and added in skipping lunch towards the end of June. Just had a look back at weekly weigh ins and have lost almost exactly 20kg since 5th May - lost about 10kg between December and May so pace of losing definitely picked up.

• Like Like x 3
  19. marathonmona

Wow. That's a fab amount of weight! I did this for about ten days back in June and lost about 5 pound. Never gained it back when I stopped. I did think about food all day though and found it very hard not to raid the cupboard when I got home haha.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook