My first hypo

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first identifiable hypo the other day since being diagnosed with diabetes earlier in the year. I may have had one or two similar episodes before diagnosis but just dismissed them as a "funny turn".

On reflection, I've got a good idea of the combination of circumstances that may had triggered it. However, it's interesting that, at the time, I was so disorientated that I didn't recognise it as a hypo, despite knowing plenty about the subject and having a tube of glucose tablets specifically for that situation.

I just ended up going to bed early and hoping I'd feel better in the morning. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and thought to myself "that was a hypo, that was". Anyway, I won't make the same mistake again.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Peter, it's good you are aware of why you may have experienced a hypo although sure it wasn't a great experience.

What you have said has happened to me many a time - if course I know I'm diabetic and normally I'm hypo aware but there have been plenty of occasions when I was younger where I seemed to skip all the signs and then be unable to comprehend that I'm having a hypo and just try to ignore it, usually requiring somebody else's interventions - these are the worst kind of hypo if you ask me.

Did you feel yourself heading low? What was your BS if you have a meter?

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you feel yourself heading low? What was your BS if you have a meter?
I do have a meter but only test intermittently. It was 4.4 the following morning.

My understanding is that the body after a while recognises the problem and takes action to correct it, but obviously it's far better to do something yourself.

D

Deleted Account

I do have a meter but only test intermittently. It was 4.4 the following morning.

My understanding is that the body after a while recognises the problem and takes action to correct it, but obviously it's far better to do something yourself.
It is definitely better to do something about it.
Otherwise, the hypo lasts longer and, if you are anything like me, you wake up with the worst hangover ever ... without any fun memories of the night of drinking.
I think I have also read somewhere that hypos destroy some brain cells.

Now you recognise hypos, it is a good idea to keep your meter with your tube of glucose tablets so you can check and deal with the hypo at the time.

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now you recognise hypos, it is a good idea to keep your meter with your tube of glucose tablets so you can check and deal with the hypo at the time.
Oh, both were to hand, but I just didn't recognise it. I'm not beating myself up about it, just find it interesting that I didn't.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, both were to hand, but I just didn't recognise it. I'm not beating myself up about it, just find it interesting that I didn't.

On my diet thread, ( details below) , I am using a one meal a day regime which is bringing down blood sugars and weight very nicely with gradually lowering numbers for overnight average, morning liver dump, post meal high and overall average figure for glucose.

Yesterday was the first time I ended up at around 3.6 - 3.9 for quite a long time. it was quite a smooth descent to get there and I didn't feel at all odd, though I did wake up bit earlier than usual. I have a lot of non diabetic friends with numbers like this so it didn't bother me at all.

Today I have realised that the result of that was a much bigger liver dump ( upto 6.8 today , 5.8 yesterday) so that seems to be telling me that yes it .is too low for me.

I have now decided that if I am getting under 4.2 before bed, then I will eat some high fibre carbs to try to prevent it dropping further - so night time snack of celery and carrot !