Flu jab 2017!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is now two weeks since my flu jab.
I have had consistently had blood glucose levels of over 6mmols.
It kicked me out of ketosis.
I had readings upwards of 7mmols regularly after two hours even eating very low carb.
I stopped eating until evening to keep my levels even at the just above normal levels.
My fasting levels had an average of 6.4 for those two weeks.
I have been feeling really rough, the usual suspects of symptoms, even had a fall, and so, so tired, I had to take a couple of days off to try and relax, get my control back, but until yesterday, my levels would not go back into normal levels.
If I didn't need to take the jab, I wouldn't bother again.
I thought the jab was to prevent getting the flu, but this did give me the virus that I was supposed to be protected from.
You would presume, that because I'm really healthy, that it would not affect me, but this was awful! (Not like man flu!)
I have always been a supporter of the flu jab, but not this year's recipe!

I hope I'm over it now!

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read you have had problems since your jab.
I had mine at my local pharmacy and was given the usual warning that I may feel flu symptoms for 48 hours and the vaccine would become active after 2 weeks. The pharmacist had been giving out this years vaccines for over a month and said he had not heard of anyone experiencing any problems: being a local pharmacy, I would expect someone to come in and tell him.
Thankfully, the weeks after my jab were event free.

@Lamont D, I don't want to play down the trouble you have experienced: I wanted to share mine in case you put some people off. We all react differently and we know there is always a risk associated with these jabs.

Glad you are over the worst of it and hope it does not put you off next year ... as you say, it's a different recipe.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had mine over two weeks ago and did not notice any difference in my BG levels after it. Maybe it was not the jab that affected yours it could be something else

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to read you have had problems since your jab.
I had mine at my local pharmacy and was given the usual warning that I may feel flu symptoms for 48 hours and the vaccine would become active after 2 weeks. The pharmacist had been giving out this years vaccines for over a month and said he had not heard of anyone experiencing any problems: being a local pharmacy, I would expect someone to come in and tell him.
Thankfully, the weeks after my jab were event free.

@Lamont D, I don't want to play down the trouble you have experienced: I wanted to share mine in case you put some people off. We all react differently and we know there is always a risk associated with these jabs.

Glad you are over the worst of it and hope it does not put you off next year ... as you say, it's a different recipe.

I was just sharing my experiences.
I don't believe that I've had problems before and I have had the jab for about ten years now.
Because of my job, I have to have it. I'm not sorry I did, but I just wish the cocktail hadn't affected me so.
I'm just about getting over it, I'm still not back to my usual energy levels.
If I didn't check my levels, I would have had no idea the effect of the jab.
But, it just shows, how vigilant you have to be!

Reactions: Lorraine1973

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had mine over two weeks ago and did not notice any difference in my BG levels after it. Maybe it was not the jab that affected yours it could be something else

I noticed the change the day after!
I am convinced it was or if not something that I never noticed.
Usually fasting puts me back into ketosis levels, but no matter what, it wouldn't until yesterday.
I'm on another fast today.
When I'm like this, not eating is like a default setting for me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get that kind of reaction to a flu jab and it irritates me when I am told by HCPs that it can't happen because it's a dead virus. My BG's go up as well as feeling poorly for a week or two. The last two years I haven't had one, but this year I heard a rumour that the flu virus itself could be worse than usual so I took the plunge. That was 9 days ago, I am just about over it now.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The vaccine works by kicking your immune system into action. So even though the virus is dead and so won't give you flu your immune system doesn't know that and starts fighting it (and so generating the white blood cells specific to the virus that will protect you later). I suspect that the elevated BG is part of your bodies immune response, it would make sense for your body to try and provide your cells with a little boost to fight off the perceived challenge and pull resources away from other things. In some illnesses it is actually the immune response that causes more of a problem than the original illness (looking at you type 1) so sometimes it is possible an immune response on its own is enough to make you feel down . Either way I am sorry to hear you had rough time with it and glad you are feeling better. I got my flu jab today :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect that the people who get a reaction to the flu jab are very likely to be the same people who could get a very large reacton to flu if they had not had the jab.
I agree, that's why I grudgingly had one this time. :)

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Eek I'm having mine for the first time today

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eek I'm having mine for the first time today

Don't worry too much, the flu vaccine is one of the most commonly taken things and severe reactions are pretty rare. Even the most common ones are still better than actually getting the flu (I am not dismissing anyone who does react). I generally get a sore arm and a little bout of hypochondriac stress immediately after but then am fine.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I always get that kind of reaction to a flu jab and it irritates me when I am told by HCPs that it can't happen because it's a dead virus. My BG's go up as well as feeling poorly for a week or two. The last two years I haven't had one, but this year I heard a rumour that the flu virus itself could be worse than usual so I took the plunge. That was 9 days ago, I am just about over it now.
Cheers @zand, I'm glad I can share my experience. Misery loves company:bigtears::banghead::rolleyes:

Reactions: zand

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The vaccine works by kicking your immune system into action. So even though the virus is dead and so won't give you flu your immune system doesn't know that and starts fighting it (and so generating the white blood cells specific to the virus that will protect you later). I suspect that the elevated BG is part of your bodies immune response, it would make sense for your body to try and provide your cells with a little boost to fight off the perceived challenge and pull resources away from other things. In some illnesses it is actually the immune response that causes more of a problem than the original illness (looking at you type 1) so sometimes it is possible an immune response on its own is enough to make you feel down . Either way I am sorry to hear you had rough time with it and glad you are feeling better. I got my flu jab today :)

Any change in my blood levels always makes me feel worse.
Hoping you don't get the side effects!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 91 year old mother gets hers at the wardened flats she lives in and is usually ill for about a month after. I'm afraid I said no to mine..

Reactions: Lamont D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had flu jabs every year since I was eligible, and also a year before that when I paid for one. I have never had any problems at all. Must add that I have never had flu in my entire life either.

Reactions: Lamont D and dbr10