1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Flu jab 2017!

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Lamont D, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Lamont D I have been running higher since I had mine, but I had a small operation at the same time so was putting the change in levels down to that not the vaccine. Now you have me wondering...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

My surgery just rang, I was going to have a pneumonia jab this afternoon (another diabetic freebie!) but they have had to postpone it til 26th, nurse off sick. I’m quite glad actually as I’ve felt a little rough since my flu jab headachy and blood sugars up a little. I had just got back to normal yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MICHAELD11

MICHAELD11 Type 2 · Member

Hi I'm type 2 and got my flu jab last Saturday and it's had no affect on my BG levels. I have been type 2 for over twenty years, the only time I had a reaction was the first time I got the jab a number of years ago, was off work for a week as bad as could be with the flu I will never forget that experience. I would say don't be put off from getting the flu jab as reactions to it are not the norm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sue4les

sue4les Type 2 · Member

Hi I had my flu jab about two weeks ago now and found no side effects at all. BUT my husband and I both said the same thing that we did not feel anything and it makes us wonder if the jab was done properly. I did say to the nurse at the time have you really done it because I didnt feel the sting of the jab at all she said yes it was all done. So we shall wait and see as normally we dont even get a cold. Take care all. Sue

5. charliebarker

charliebarker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If the vaccine has been out of the fridge for long enough you shouldn't feel anything - you usually get the 'sting' when the vaccine is just out of the fridge!

6. 62Rose

62Rose Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I've been putting off having it for the first time as I wondered how I might react. I am really not on top of my blood sugars still and can't bear the thought that it could make them worse. I hope you and anyone else affected soon feel well.

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Flu will definitely make them worse -

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Margie@home

[email protected] Type 1 · Member

Margie at home
    I never have a flue jab now. Twenty four years ago I had one and was ill for over a month. So far I have been fine. I worked with adults and children and never refused work with infectious people. I think it built up my immune system.
    I've been type 1 for 60 years.

9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with @Bluetit1802 flu will definitely make them way worse. My flu jab did make me feel a little bit headachy for a few days and did put my blood glucose readings up, but only by about 0.5mmol/l for about 5-6 days

#49 Rachox, Oct 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook