First time pumper.. PLEASE HELP

bibyd21

Hello all -

We just received the tandem Tslim X2 and are hoping to install tonight. I do have questions.... They've recommended we meet with someone for training. Is this realllly required? It seems like the instructions and online videos would be enough but I'm nervous to start without "official training"

A big question is... How the hell do I calculate my basal rate? Currently on 40 units Lantus and around 25 units apidra a day. I would really appreciate ANY and ALL info you could share!!

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you divide basal dose (40) by 24 to get units per hour? That's just a guess. Someone will be able to tell you who actually knows what they're talking about!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they've recommended you receive training and you haven't so far done any reading to understand how to get a pump set up I would get strongly recommend you do the official training.

No one on the the forum should be giving advice on dosing.

If you want to understand how to calculate your basal rate, buy the book "pumping insulin" by John Walsh.

bibyd21

I've been trying to set up the training session but they don't appear to be in a hurry. I've read the instruction manual of course... and watched everything I could find. At this point I'm looking for people with experience using the pump who can discuss.

I did just notice the new insulin (Humalog) says 1.67 basil units per hour. That would appear to be 40 units/24 hours. I have read a couple other methods that involved total units (lantus/apidra) * 70% = 45.5 units / 2 / 24 hours = .94 basil per hour. I'm really just looking for experience from real users with experience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Do you divide basal dose (40) by 24 to get units per hour? That's just a guess. Someone will be able to tell you who actually knows what they're talking about!
When I changed from mdi to pump, my basal dose was reduced significantly. I think it had something to do with more efficient absorption with the pump. Dividing by 24 is likely to result in an over dose.
In addition, if you are planning the same basal throughout the day, I see no point in having a pump. The value of a pump is to vary your basal according to your body’s needs.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

bibyd21

Absolutely... I agree on the absorption factor.. Everything I've read would suggest you need about 30% less insulin with a pump... Which is why I'm a little confused now that I see the 1.67 basil units per hour recommended by the doc. That being said... I understand the point of a pump.. And varying the basal throughout the day. :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't even consider starting without formal training, no one can or should suggest your starting basal rates other than your doctor.

As a first timer it could take from a few weeks to a few months for you to get used to the pump and become stable you need support at this time.

You do not mention where you are from, I'm sure that this pump is not yet approved for use in the UK or Europe, so guessing your from elsewhere.

Edit "Opps forgot to say, welcome to the world of pumping, in around 50 years of IDD it was the best move I ever made"

Last edited:

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fully agree . .. the official pump training is a must before you start pumping!.. at the end of the day this technical piece of equipment will be keeping you alive so you really need the propper training before you start!! In my personal experience my DNS advised me to start my basal on a reduced rate of 20% less. As everyones basal requiremenst are differrent if possible i would advise that from pumping go live date to do basal testting at the earliest opportunity - keep full records and discuss any adjustments with your DNS.... if anything like me, big adjustemnts will need to be made to your basal rate profile. After any changes to your basal.... basal test again.. and again ..untill your BS is remains stable. Hope everything goes well... it will take some time to get your insulin requirements right but the benefits of all the extra work at the beginning will be well worth it!:)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please don't start your pump without the training, I run four different Basal rates throughout a 24hr period, all depending on activities and requirements determined by testing throughout the day. the rates that you will run are always done in conjunction with your DNS as they will go off your results of BS's taken during the day, it's all a bit overwhelming at first then it becomes a lot easier, if it was me I would be hassling them for my training and basal set up. Good luck