Just feeling a bit meh

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, Im feeling very fed up :( just sort of want to moan. I keep having awful low blood sugars and I just can't seem to keep them level. I'm working closely with my diabetes team to sort this but I'm getting very very tired experiencing hypos repeatedly really does drain you! :(
I'm already on anti depressants but the way I am recently I feel they just aren't working :( just finding it hard to keep my chin up and when I get really depressed I stop looking after myself and stop trying to control my diabetes... it's like a vicious circle :(

stayingalive

Hey guys, Im feeling very fed up :( just sort of want to moan. I keep having awful low blood sugars and I just can't seem to keep them level. I'm working closely with my diabetes team to sort this but I'm getting very very tired experiencing hypos repeatedly really does drain you! :(
I'm already on anti depressants but the way I am recently I feel they just aren't working :( just finding it hard to keep my chin up and when I get really depressed I stop looking after myself and stop trying to control my diabetes... it's like a vicious circle :(
Hi Emma
I'm so sorry to read this - it really is tough isn't it? I find low and high blood sugar both make me feel worse and more depressed. On teh plus side, if you have even a day or two of better control, you will feel better. My last bout of depression was ended with just a few CBT sessions which led me to decide to find out about better control, and then I spent savings on the freestyle libre monitoring system. This is supposed to be available on the nhs from 1 November so you might find that helps. I find good control is the best cure for depression - especially if I do it by going for walks outside - possibly accompanied by carefully controlled small portions desirable carbohydrate (cake!!). This may not be the best advice for you, I admit, only my own (and my dad's) experience. My dad had Type 1 aswell and when he eventually died (at 78, not bad as he was diagnoised in about 1959) I found loads of small chocolate bars in his desk....

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emma
I'm so sorry to read this - it really is tough isn't it? I find low and high blood sugar both make me feel worse and more depressed. On teh plus side, if you have even a day or two of better control, you will feel better. My last bout of depression was ended with just a few CBT sessions which led me to decide to find out about better control, and then I spent savings on the freestyle libre monitoring system. This is supposed to be available on the nhs from 1 November so you might find that helps. I find good control is the best cure for depression - especially if I do it by going for walks outside - possibly accompanied by carefully controlled small portions desirable carbohydrate (cake!!). This may not be the best advice for you, I admit, only my own (and my dad's) experience. My dad had Type 1 aswell and when he eventually died (at 78, not bad as he was diagnoised in about 1959) I found loads of small chocolate bars in his desk....

I'm just low all night and morning then high all bloody tea and night time :/ Iv got a libre in ATM on a trial, my nurse reckons he'll be able to get me it on NHS in November so yay :) I'm also trying to get on the pump too. I just get so fed up and down sometimes. Just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emma_hughes3 , I'm no stranger to 'meh', either. But I call it a 'sighy fug'. And I hate it. You've done just the right thing to acknowledge it and to post here about it. I'm sending strength, and some big old Snapsy hugs.

Love Snapsy xxx
:)

Yeah lol I joined this forum so I had people to talk to when I get down who can Understand where I'm coming from. It's been great on here so far everyone's so helpful! I just get so fed up sometimes trying to keep in control when I ferl so down. Big hugs to you :) xx

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Know that feeling Emma!
Even without depression, managing the swings in your blood sugars is a daily battle and there is no rest.
For me, that's what frustrates me the most. Unlike what some people without diabetes may think diabetes isn't a choice or a diet where you can switch off. It isn't easy and I've had weeks of lows and highs which have been so so draining but I've forced myself to get up and go to work even though it's the last thing I've felt like doing.
I appreciate the above doesn't help but here's a few tips from what I've learnt over the last few weeks:
- It's okay not to be okay. Rant, get upset and let it out. But then look forward and focus on something positive.
- Use the support around you and don't bottle things up. Whether family or friends or the forum, talking really does help.
- Help yourself and be aware of burnout. Don't do a me and keep going until you crash. If you need to rest don't be ashamed to.
- Take one step at a time. Don't try to sort your highs and your lows and figure out your food in one go. Choose one thing like adjusting your insulin to reduce your over night hypos.
Last of all, it will take time but you will get there and it sounds like you have a great diabetes team.
Best of luck. Hope you feel a little better.

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Know that feeling Emma!
Even without depression, managing the swings in your blood sugars is a daily battle and there is no rest.
For me, that's what frustrates me the most. Unlike what some people without diabetes may think diabetes isn't a choice or a diet where you can switch off. It isn't easy and I've had weeks of lows and highs which have been so so draining but I've forced myself to get up and go to work even though it's the last thing I've felt like doing.
I appreciate the above doesn't help but here's a few tips from what I've learnt over the last few weeks:
- It's okay not to be okay. Rant, get upset and let it out. But then look forward and focus on something positive.
- Use the support around you and don't bottle things up. Whether family or friends or the forum, talking really does help.
- Help yourself and be aware of burnout. Don't do a me and keep going until you crash. If you need to rest don't be ashamed to.
- Take one step at a time. Don't try to sort your highs and your lows and figure out your food in one go. Choose one thing like adjusting your insulin to reduce your over night hypos.
Last of all, it will take time but you will get there and it sounds like you have a great diabetes team.
Best of luck. Hope you feel a little better.

Thank you for your reply :) and fab tips :) I have good support around me which I am very grateful for, my nurse is amazing and also helps and supports me with my depression and anxiety. I have a 3 year old son so relax time is few and far between haha.
I'm just so exhausted from the mash of highs and lows I'm experiencing and hoping i get it under control soon. *fingers crossed*

Everyone is great on this forum I'm really glad I joined, Iv been diabetic 24 years but never once been on a forum or any kind of diabetes support

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reply :) and fab tips :) I have good support around me which I am very grateful for, my nurse is amazing and also helps and supports me with my depression and anxiety. I have a 3 year old son so relax time is few and far between haha.
I'm just so exhausted from the mash of highs and lows I'm experiencing and hoping i get it under control soon. *fingers crossed*

Everyone is great on this forum I'm really glad I joined, Iv been diabetic 24 years but never once been on a forum or any kind of diabetes support

My pleasure!
That's great you have so much support and I bet your son is great motivation for you, despite the lack of chance to rest! Try your best to find some 'me time' though, I find its really important otherwise I spend far too much time over thinking and worrying.
I'll cross my fingers for you too. I'm on the same journey and been diabetic 23 years. I always feel I should be an expert by now but not sure that will ever happen!! Hahaha x

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah he is good motivation for me but even with all the support I sometimes can get so down I tend to stop looking after myself. Iv not long since got myself back to keeping on top of my diabetes after I was rushed to hospital with DKA in April. I was going through such a hard time I just gave up, skipped injections and didn't check my bloods for months which ultimately landed me in hospital for nearly a week.
Iv just started seeing a dr about my depression and anxiety and Iv been put on meds now with advise from my diabetes team. I'm slowly getting there again I just get dragged down when my bloods are out of control :( x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi emma !!
can I just say you are a star -- a proper one that is all shiny and burns bright for all around you to see

you living with D for 24 years is testament to this -- so please try to be kind to yourself

my 45 year star burns brightly alongside you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sending all my best to you .

[[[hugs]]]

xxx

emma_hughes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi emma !!
can I just say you are a star -- a proper one that is all shiny and burns bright for all around you to see

you living with D for 24 years is testament to this -- so please try to be kind to yourself

my 45 year star burns brightly alongside you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sending all my best to you .

[[[hugs]]]

xxx

Thank you for your kind words! :) xx

Reactions: himtoo

GJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Emma, have you tried a DAFNE course? This would help you to correct morning hypos and evening hypers. It sounds like you are reacting to high blood sugar in the evening by giving yourself too much of a correction dose. This leads to your morning hypos. All of us have struggled from time to time to maintain normal blood glucose - don't feel bad about it, just resolve to make careful records of CHO units at meals with insulin doses. Make it a habit to test blood glucose before you eat every meal. After a while you will see trends and it will become second nature to adjust doses on the fly, depending on state of blood glucose, general health, what quantity of food you intend to eat, activity and all other aspects of your life which can affect your balance. I have lived with this for 55 years and it's only been since DAFNE that my blood glucose has been under control.