Type 1 Effects of exercise (running) to BG-levels

Samiaani

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I did 2 hard(ish) runs today and my BG keeps crashing down even though I havent taken any Novorapid today. I keep spooning jam in to my mouth but it raises BG levels just slightly.. I have counted that I have taken about 350 Carbs in the last 4 hours and still my meters shows values around 2.5-3 mmol/L. Polar flow app shows that I have burned 4430Cals today.

I took 30u of toujeo last night and it has been steady in the past.

How what why and HOW???? :)

Any other runners here who can explain this to me? It really is the weirdest thing I have experienced in my 16 years of T1. Can it be that I have just burned every gram of carbs?

Sorry if the message is a little all over the place but you know.. Low BG and stuff. :) Thanks.

Reactions: Freema

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, first, 350 g cabrs ..? Could that be 35 g* ?

It happens to me too, when I do heavy excercise like that my BG is just ridiculously hard to get up from the 2-3s. I dont know what causes it but I always make sure to eat before I start exercising and another great suggestion I got from someone on here is to take 1U insulin less if Im going to exercise short after my meal. It worked well for me. I think its better to slowly get use to harder exercises to avoid hypo. Take good care ! X

Reactions: Samiaani

Samiaani

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply.

Yea. Nope. 350g is correct. Thats why I am so confused. I have done hard exercises in the past but mostly in the gym and my BG-levels are always been all over the place, mostly rising from exercises.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whats ur normal carb intake ? Just curious. I see its very different for all.

Samiaani

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to keep it as low as possible so around 30-80. If exercising I take what I need to keep from crashing.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some talk of slow carbs , like High fibre foods to eat to give a slow release of the carbs when exercising. , I am a total amateur so can’t really advice but maybe try legumes and bread with high amount of fibres instead of fast release glucose before excercising and then add the fast release sugars while excercising ... it sounds extreme to me that you are that low all the time , but how many calories have you eaten compared to how much did you eat ?

Samiaani

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some talk of slow carbs , like High fibre foods to eat to give a slow release of the carbs when exercising. , I am a total amateur so can’t really advice but maybe try legumes and bread with high amount of fibres instead of fast release glucose before excercising and then add the fast release sugars while excercising ... it sounds extreme to me that you are that low all the time , but how many calories have you eaten compared to how much did you eat ?

Dont really understand your question..?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh How many calories did you burn compared to How many did you eat in total

Reactions: Samiaani

Samiaani

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I have eaten around 3000-3500 but honestly I dont really know.