Butter or no Butter

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it that when the original poster has said that they have made an adult decision to try a time limited experiment in order to asess a particular issue of interest and importance to them, a number of replies are from people saying why they wouldnt do it and in not very subtle ways implying that the poster has made a foolish or ill informed decision - I dont see wiseowl as either of those things.
Seems to be that when it comes to this forum, the more it changes the more it stays the same

If the OP didn't want people to discuss the topic s/he had raised, then perhaps s/he shouldn't have posted about it on a public forum. Anyone who includes the words "statins" and/or "cholesterol" in a post can expect several pages of discussion to follow.
Sally

Reactions: Guzzler

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondered which brand of butter is from grass fed cows as I have looked for that on packs of butter but have never found it
Kerry gold Irish butter is the best butter ever. However I would need to travel out of state for it now which I just might do.

The butters I find are either organic ( no gmo in the feed) or they say pastured which can mean almost anything. We have been trying different butters lately and our favorites are alway pastured Irish butters. Never found grass fed and organic. Some health food specialty shops sell 100% grass fed. Doubtful you'll find it in any regular or chain store but you never know

Although some regular stores do carry Kerry gold.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I so kiss my Kerry gold!!! It's been banned in my ' dairy' state. There's actually a law suit going on. There is no better butter!!

Might have to go to the next state over and stock up. We have a large upright freezer haha

Why has it been banned for goodness sake?

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the ingredients in the proactive spread? I'm not sure I like the sound of that haha.
I use butter rather sparingly and use avocado / olive oil and mayo as my primary fats. I do this more because animal fats are not friendly to my bg rather than for cholesterol reasons but since adding loads of avocado and minimizing animal fats my cholesterol was stellar. It was never horrible to begin with but it's perfect now. I worry more about the ratios of my cholesterol than individual components and they're all 'ideal'.

If you like avocado the diet doctor has a recipe for a green been avo thing. I've never tried it but heard it's great. I do chop some on warm veggies and mix it up. I add it to all meals and it also keeps bg low and slow. It can be chopped, sliced, wedged, mashed with just a little sea salt and put on anything or next to anything. The fat make up is perfect. Probably one of the healthies natural fats you can eat!!

My only disappointment since changing my diet is that I can only stomach avocado when eaten with certain foods like prawns or chicken. Often it simply makes me feel sick.

Oh just remembered another disappointment Lidl protein rolls. They are just vile even toasted with lashings of butter on them.

Sorry WiseOwl going off topic. I am a very fussy eater and I've never liked the taste of spreads or marg so I've never tried Flora pro active. Look forwards to reading your results.

Hotpepper20000

A pound of butter on sale here is between 4 and 5 Canadian dollars.
Kerry gold if I can find it is 12.
I'm sure it's good but out of my price range.

Reactions: TIANDB
B

badcat

I in no way implied the OP was foolish.
The question in the title of the post was "butter or no butter". With what I thought was a witty response, I implied that for me, i am not giving up butter.
your post wasnt one of the ones I was referring to - yours was witty and spoke only of your own position.
The ones I was particularly referring to were those citing the badness of the ingredients of the spread the OP has chosen to use in their experiment - referring to the other persons choice being "toxic sludge" is the most extreme example among a number

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why has it been banned for goodness sake?
We are a DAIRY state and its Imported or something stupid like that. We have been saving one pound in our freezer as we will both cry when it's all gone. Lol. Time to take a road trip
My only disappointment since changing my diet is that I can only stomach avocado when eaten with certain foods like prawns or chicken. Often it simply makes me feel sick.

Oh just remembered another disappointment Lidl protein rolls. They are just vile even toasted with lashings of butter on them.

Sorry WiseOwl going off topic. I am a very fussy eater and I've never liked the taste of spreads or marg so I've never tried Flora pro active. Look forwards to reading your results.
avo can be a rather heavy food with its good fats and fiber. I only eat about 1/3 at a time but I don't eat large meals so it keeps me full and bg happy for hours. Sorry you can't have it. Or stick up on prawns and chicken !! Goes lovely with those chopped up in a salad

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kerrygold is about 85% grass fed. Like most cows in the UK they are in pasture most of the year, eat silage in the winter with suppliments that are probably grains.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your post wasnt one of the ones I was referring to - yours was witty and spoke only of your own position.
The ones I was particularly referring to were those citing the badness of the ingredients of the spread the OP has chosen to use in their experiment - referring to the other persons choice being "toxic sludge" is the most extreme example among a number

Would you eat that stuff @badcat ? after reading the ingredients list?
I was just advising the OP that it doesn't sound very nice and probably won't do them any good.
If they choose to eat it then fine... we are all adults after all.

Reactions: Guzzler
B

badcat

Would you eat that stuff @badcat ? after reading the ingredients list?
I was just advising the OP that it doesn't sound very nice and probably won't do them any good.
If they choose to eat it then fine... we are all adults after all.
No but thats not the point.
What you, I or anyone else would eat is irrelevant - the OP is an adult who has made a decision to use the spread for 3 months in preference to butter to test the effect of the change, presumably based on the results, they will then make further dietary choices.
To assume they have not looked into what they are choosing to use and need someone else to tell them that they are choosing to eat "toxic sludge" is something I would see as disrespectful and therefore v inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
To assume they have not looked into what they are choosing to use and need someone else to tell them that they are choosing to eat "toxic sludge" is something I would see as disrespectful and therefore v inappropriate
Yes, but the rest of the readership perhaps don't know what the butter substitute actually is, so the posts by people who gave further details are a public service. This is the point of a forum. If someone simply wants to make a public announcement, I believe The Times has columns for that sort of thing.
Sally

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is my belief that if an OP posts something they are looking for other peoples thought, feelings and experiences. Trying to point out that a particular food they are eating is not healthy might be something they over looked and / or didn't realize. Not all diabetics are nutritionists. If I was eating an unhealthy food I would hope someone would point that out. As said, we are all adults and if the op wants to eat it after we e shared our opinions, views, experiences and s/he certainly should. Maybe they have information now that they didn't have before and make a decision one way or another.

My point is that if someone were to tell me dairy is cow pus ( which is how I think of it knowing what I know) i would just move on. Though I do think of it as such it doesn't stop me from digging in to my cheese tray every night. We all make our own decisions and I don't think the OP would have posted if h/she didn't want to hear our voices.

As always, just MY opinion

I think all this bickering has scared the OP off

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@badcat

The OP (@wiseowl_123 ) has been a member here long enough to start several threads and ask many questions. So s/he is well aware of how this forum works, and how enthusiastically helpful people are in offering their opinions.

Perhaps we can wait until Wiseowl logs back on, and lets us know if s/he objects to any of the comments and perspectives that have been posted.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, but the rest of the readership perhaps don't know what the butter substitute actually is, so the posts by people who gave further details are a public service. This is the point of a forum. If someone simply wants to make a public announcement, I believe The Times has columns for that sort of thing.
Sally
Exactly. Because due Unilever's newspeak margarine with some esterifies fitosterol is marketed as healthy and usable to lower cholesterol. They market as healthy and dietetic the Solero too. The interesting thing is in fact that in the pro activ site there isn't an ingredient list. Anyway high-quality fat and margarine I think are mutually exclusive.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning all my friends and I thank you all for your posts,you have all helped make this a very important and valued thread and it has given me food for thought,I always respect and value your replies,I have taken no offence at any of the posts,indeed it is all of you who a year ago helped me so much and got me this far,have a lovely day,I have just realised that when my cholesterol was in the 3's I was taking Metformin (it has only risen since stopping)another question perhaps;):)

Just a small edit as I came out of the review the nurse said your doing brilliantly well just keep doing what you have been doing(LOL)

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Butter has just started being in my staple diet. As kids butter was for the men only.
Women still outlive men, even now with advanced medicines.
I use butter but lightly. Yes a need for a healthy body if no other fat in the diet.
Out of interest is mayo made with butter or oil? I've just googled to remind me. So groundnut oil for a thick mayonnaise. No butter in sight nor processed oils.
I've used mayo for marg in my student days.
My mum has mainly used marg all her adult life. Stork was common in the 70s, mainly for baking. My mum has fatty liver but no diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is what the Tesco's website lists as the ingredients for Flor Pro-Active Buttery (there are different versions, but I suspect the difference is mainly in the flavourings)

Ingredients
Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (56%) (Sunflower, Rapeseed, Palm, Linseed), Water, Plant Sterol Esters (9%), Buttermilk (6%), Salt (1%), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sunflower Lecithin), Acid (Citric Acid), Flavourings (contains Milk), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Vitamin A and D, Colour (Carotenes)

And this is what Zoe Harcombe says on the subject:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2013/01/...on-flora-pro-activ-an-unhealthy-relationship/
Even before reading the article the two ingredients that jumped out at me were sunflower oil and plant sterols. There is a school of thought that suggests plant sterols could be quite harmful. I say again, I'm sticking to butter, it's mine, all mine!