Freestyle Libre for a Personalised Diet/Eran Segal

tubamanandy

I was diagnosed T2 a couple of years ago and take 2 x Metformin daily & watch the amount of Carbs/Sugar I consume.

I recently came across the excellent work of Prof Eran Segal via a TED Talk so have ordered a sensor (only), to monitor on my smartphone, my responses to various types of foods that I would normally eat for the next few weeks.

I know that the sensor will vary 5-10% from my blood readings as its measuring the fluid around my cells. I'm more interested to see what my PERSONAL readings are before and 2 hrs after certain food groups and if there are any big spikes with certain foods.

Anyone else doing this or thinks its a decent idea ?

By the way, Prof Segal was basically saying there is no perfect `one size fits all` diet for humans as everyones glucose response is different and after a large test sample he's trying to perfect an algorithm to estimate individual personalised diets.

Reactions: tan800

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal opinion is that everyone - who is either obese or diagnosed with diabetes, should be either prescribed or at least advised to get a sensor and use it for at least two weeks. If you have a compatible phone then the sensor itself is only £50 and through it you will gain an amazing understanding of what is going on.

During that time you will very clearly see what happens when you eat certain foods . That coupled with an explanation of what low carb eating is would go a long way to helping everyone see the damage that highly processed foods does and start to help them to adjust diet and reduce medication needs or future health deterioration.

The interesting thing about the sensor is that you will not only see the two hour figure, but the movements around it, what happens overnight and how your body responds to waking up. All of these things are important. I am sure you will find the experiment very interesting.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I was diagnosed T2 a couple of years ago and take 2 x Metformin daily & watch the amount of Carbs/Sugar I consume.

I recently came across the excellent work of Prof Eran Segal via a TED Talk so have ordered a sensor (only), to monitor on my smartphone, my responses to various types of foods that I would normally eat for the next few weeks.

I know that the sensor will vary 5-10% from my blood readings as its measuring the fluid around my cells. I'm more interested to see what my PERSONAL readings are before and 2 hrs after certain food groups and if there are any big spikes with certain foods.

By the way, Prof Segal was basically saying there is no perfect `one size fits all` diet for humans as everyones glucose response is different and after a large test sample he's trying to perfect an algorithm to estimate individual personalised diets.
Hello Can you tell me how much price this machine has

D

Deleted Account

My personal opinion is that everyone - who is either obese or diagnosed with diabetes, should be either prescribed or at least advised to get a sensor and use it for at least two weeks. If you have a compatible phone then the sensor itself is only £50 and through it you will gain an amazing understanding of what is going on.

During that time you will very clearly see what happens when you eat certain foods . That coupled with an explanation of what low carb eating is would go a long way to helping everyone see the damage that highly processed foods does and start to help them to adjust diet and reduce medication needs or future health deterioration.

The interesting thing about the sensor is that you will not only see the two hour figure, but the movements around it, what happens overnight and how your body responds to waking up. All of these things are important. I am sure you will find the experiment very interesting.

The Libre (or any form of continuous BG monitoring) is useful for far more than just what food we eat as our BG is affected by more than just the carbs we consume.
I occasionally use my DexCom to optimise my insulin dose before/during/after exercise and stressful meetings/presentations.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Can you tell me how much price this machine has
£57.95 including vat from this website.
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products.html

In my opinion , I do think however that the Eran Seagull is going down a rather complicated approach , probably unnecessarily. In practice people who are insulin sensitive have low fasting insulin levels and can generally eat most foods including carbohyrdrates without ill effect.

My theory would be : People who are insulin resistant (T2) have high fasting insulin levels and generally find that carbohydrates result in high glucose and increasing fasting insulin.

Endogenous insulin _ (the stuff your body makes) rises with obesity and rises with T2 diabetes diagnosis ( unless you are not diagnosed until a long way down the line when the pancreas has actually stopped producing insulin ).
The evidence appears to show that in the presence of too much insulin, the body reacts very differently to the foods that it takes in. A sensor will reveal how your own body reacts to these foods.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Libre (or any form of continuous BG monitoring) is useful for far more than just what food we eat as our BG is affected by more than just the carbs we consume.
I occasionally use my DexCom to optimise my insulin dose before/during/after exercise and stressful meetings/presentations.

I agree completely, my point is very much that one learns an enormous amount about your own body from wearing one for a couple of weeks and in practice that applies to anyone on the planet who can afford one for a couple of weeks and is interested to find out. It is only a matter of time before monitoring glucose will be part of a " fit bit "

Whilst inevitably the main thing one will see is how it reacts to foods, the fact that it continues to react in the absence of foods but presence of other things such as exercise or stress will also be helpful.
Clearly how important it is to know those things depends on your own state of health and for some of us it becomes completely fundamental such as yourself :).

Reactions: Kim Possible

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
£57.95 including vat from this website.
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products.html

In my opinion , I do think however that the Eran Seagull is going down a rather complicated approach , probably unnecessarily. In practice people who are insulin sensitive have low fasting insulin levels and can generally eat most foods including carbohyrdrates without ill effect.

My theory would be : People who are insulin resistant (T2) have high fasting insulin levels and generally find that carbohydrates result in high glucose and increasing fasting insulin.

Endogenous insulin _ (the stuff your body makes) rises with obesity and rises with T2 diabetes diagnosis ( unless you are not diagnosed until a long way down the line when the pancreas has actually stopped producing insulin ).
The evidence appears to show that in the presence of too much insulin, the body reacts very differently to the foods that it takes in. A sensor will reveal how your own body reacts to these foods.
Thanks

tan800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running

Came across your message here after watching the TED talk and some quick search, wonder elf you could share your experience using the sensor? I am interested to better control my diet, my last A1c reading was 7.2, hope to make it 6. Metformin 500mg x 2 /day, type 2, not overweight,

Thanks