ANNOYING PEOPLE

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't really understand how a bystander would give someone a shot of insulin do most insulin dependant diabetics carry insulin with them wherever they go
Always needles pens Lance's test stripes the works now on a pump, even a extra pump I am a diabetic 24-7, so why wouldn't you carry stuff with you

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Back in the day ( that's 40 years ago ) I was told about free food, salad cheese etc, that was all low carb food right, my life has gone full circle now oh dear now what

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always needles pens Lance's test stripes the works now on a pump, even a extra pump I am a diabetic 24-7, so why wouldn't you carry stuff with you
As a T1 diabetic my pancreas lives in the kitchen draw. I can leave it there on its own for maybe a few hours. Anymore than that and I have to put my pancreas in my pocket.
So few understand the full impact of being insulin dependent.
Summertime...... I just want to go out in shorts...........people don't realise my current pancreas doesn't fit in my shorts pockets.
It's a little , stupid annoyance but ............we live with it :banghead::banghead::banghead:.
I

Reactions: Crystalwand

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well that makes me laugh, I am lady ( sometimes ) so I always have a handbag, maybe you could get a man bag if you do pictures please lol

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that makes me laugh, I am lady ( sometimes ) so I always have a handbag, maybe you could get a man bag if you do pictures please lol
A MAN BAG?????????? Please. I'm 53 , grandad and a reputation.:):):):).
I have a lovely wife, who will always offer a spare corner of her handbag.
Ultimately she has enough to deal with , with me being diabetic and all that entails. Always feel guilty asking her to carry my problem.
But........ if a picture of me in " speedos "and a man bag should ever appear I promise to send you a copy:):):):).

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am sure your wife doesn't mind, carrying your bits, but please no pictures of you in speedos, so sorry for asking lol

Reactions: therower

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Annoying people:
  • Know-it-alls who are certain what foods are good and bad even if they have no knowledge of diabetes. So if I say I prefer to avoid bread, they will say, "Oh don't worry, it's whole wheat" and then think I'm bonkers to avoid it.
  • People who think they know about diabetes and are sure it can be "cured" with a miracle food. "Apple cider vinegar," or "cinammon," or whatever.
  • People who, because of the stereotype, don't believe I could possibly have diabetes. I am 6-foot-4 and thin.
  • Conversely, people who think having diabetes is the end of the world and loudly express pity in front of the assembled company (well, yes, I felt that about myself immediately after diagnosis, so I suppose I "get" where that comes from).
  • Edited to add: People who tut-tut when, in moderation, I drink alcohol!
Wow, I'm only just getting started. Most people have been wonderful!

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea and dbr10

Hotpepper20000

I don't speak about being type 2 to anyone except my closest friends. They know me well enough to not question what I eat. Everyone else I change the subject.
I do understand people's misconceptions seeing as they don't have diabetes and have no need to become informed, because it doesn't directly impact them.
I now nothing about MS, Alzheimer's or other conditions because I am not nor is any one close to me affected.

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I find people with a closed mind really irritating. An aquaintence once kept feining surprise when I was saying that I was avoiding carrots and peas. She kept saying that they are not fattening to which three times I replied that it was not a case of them being fattening it was a case of them spiking my bg levels. Heaven knows what she took from the conversation but I do hope didn't take my address!

The other real niggle of mine is the type of person that I have lately come to call 'Freinds of Ancel Keys'. Those who beleive stuff then try to find the evidence for that beleif while ignoring anything, even solid proof, that their idea is just plain guff.

Reactions: AloeSvea and dbr10

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other real niggle of mine is the type of person that I have lately come to call 'Freinds of Ancel Keys'. Those who beleive stuff then try to find the evidence for that belief while ignoring anything, even solid proof, that their idea is just plain guff.

You get that in so many walks of life. In my job I do a lot of problem solving, and see others who spend an age denying anything but their pet theory about a problem. It can add months to getting to real root cause because they won't look at any evidence that doesn't support their theory.

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You titled this thread " Annoying people ". This made me click on it straight away as I am one of those. I am the person who sits next to you on a plane, tells his whole life story to you, and makes the flight seem much longer than it really is. I consider that a gift that I can slow down time for people lol, but yeah, I have only encountered this once so far since diagnosed. I suppose it is annoying for other people to say it, but I find it more annoying that I can't have everything on offer rather than someone pointing it out to me.