What to eat when pregnant for snacking

xkayzx

Hi, I need Ideas on what I can eat for snacking throughout my pregnancy.. I’m 16 weeks and strangling what to eat throughout the day...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @xkayzx Can i just check are you on insulin ? if so are you having issues with your BG levels ? What are you normally eating ?

As you're pregnant healthy snacks like nuts, chopping up some carrots/cucumber with dips, apples, olives, try soups, and if you're on insulin then bolus for the carbs eaten.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I need Ideas on what I can eat for snacking throughout my pregnancy.. I’m 16 weeks and strangling what to eat throughout the day...

I'm pregnant too and struggling with snacks! I'm eating vegetables and hummus, little cheeses like babybells and olives. It's tricky since eating salami and such is out of the question and trying to also avoid carby snacks. If I'm really hungry and some cheese won't cut it, I just have to eat something bigger like crackers or toast and just jab for it.

Good luck with everything and congratulations on your pregnancy! It's tricky but we know it'll be so worth it! <3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xkayzx - Hi there.

Your profile doesn't show your type of diabetes. There's no obligation to do that, but showing it can make it easier for members to offer you appropriate opinions.

If you would like to show, you cab do that by clicking on your account and choosing from the drop down menu, under Type of diabetes, part way down the page. If you're not able to manage that, just shout.

I will reiterate you don't have to show it, if you don't want to.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've found graze boxes quite useful for snacks, I get one a week and it comes with each snacks nutritional info, means a bit of variety. I'm type 1 but haven't really struggled with highs more lows so lots of snack have been required. Got 2 in my bag at all times. X

VJIADIS

The best thing about the best foods you can eat, is it doesn't matter if you are pregnant, have diabetes, obesity, gout or any other ailment. The best foods are all the same.

That means that if we wanted a healthier world, everyone could just simply eat the same "diet" (lifestyle,...way of eating, not diet as in comes from a book).

So what is that?

Whole foods.

If you are pregnant and want to be as healthy as you can be, you would want to eat a diet rich in whole foods. What are whole foods? They are very simply foods that are not processed.

To see what foods would be the best, it really helps to look at some other things. For instance, prenatal vitamins. I think it's safe to say that in our society right now, taking prenatal vitamins while pregnant is something that any pregnant woman "should" do.

So what are prenatal vitamins? They are simply a multivitamin tailored for a pregnant woman.

So could you eat foods that have the same vitamins? Of course, and I think this would be a great and healthy place to start.

So what are some of these vitamins, and what could you eat to get them into your body?

Folate - You can get folate from a wide variety of foods. And as a great side-effect, these foods are so great for your overall health, so eating them on a regular basis for the rest of your life will do you wonders.

Foods with folate:
  • Beans (kidney, lima, black, green etc)
  • Lentils
  • Peas
  • Broccoli
  • Asparagus
  • Dark leafy greens (spinach, mustad greens, turnip greens etc)
  • Citrus fruits
  • Avocados
  • Brussels sprout
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Beets
  • Corn
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Squash

Calcium - You absolutely do not need cow's milk for calcium. There are tons of sources to get calcium in our world.

Foods with calcium:
  • Collard greens
  • Kale
  • Turnip greens
  • Garlic
  • Mustard greens
  • Spinach

Hmm... looks like if you ate some spinach you would be getting 2 of the main vitamins in a prenatal vitamin. That's pretty cool, let's keep looking.

Iron - Iron is important to our health and life, so let's see if there are any foods high in iron

Foods with iron:
  • Parsley
  • Spinach
  • Sun dried tomatoes
  • Dried apricots
  • Swiss chard
  • Olives
  • Nuts (cashews, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts etc)

Vitamin C - We know that if we want to avoid scurvy we have to get our vitamin c right! So are there any foods with vitamin c that will also be healthy for you?

Let's see.

Foods with vitamin C:
  • Apricots
  • Bell peppers
  • Blackberries
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Lemon
  • Lime
  • Kiwi
  • Oranges
  • Papaya
  • Radishes
  • Pineapple
  • Tomatoes
  • Watermelon

Zinc: Zinc is great for your immune system, so let's see if there are any good healthy foods high in zinc.

Foods with zinc:
  • Palm hearts
  • Lemongrass
  • Green peas
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Cashews
  • Cacao powder (this is the raw version of chocolate. When people say "chocolate has antioxidants", they don't mean Snickers bar...they mean cacao which is unsweetened and unprocessed and delicious so you can add it to every single thing you want and it's awesome)
  • Beans
  • Mushrooms

Copper - Copper is essential for bone production and joint health.

Foods with copper:
  • Seafood
  • Kale
  • Mushrooms
  • Cashews
  • Prunes
  • Avocados
  • Lentils
  • Walnuts
  • Lima beans

Vitamin B-6 - Vitamin B6 is responsible for our brain producing neurotransmitters and a ton of other great things for your health. Also, a lot of people are deficient in this vitamin because of terrible eating habits.

Foods with B-6:
  • Tuna
  • Turkey
  • Salmon
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Spinach
  • Bananas
  • Spinach
  • Avocado
  • Asparagus

I think you get the point here. To me it makes perfect sense to eat the foods that will supply your body with the same vitamins that come in a pill that you are supposed to take while pregnant.

Not only are these foods good for pregnancy, but for life. If you eat a diet very rich in these foods you would never have to worry about weight issues or much of any disease that so many people face in our society today.

I hope that helps a little.