Comics about diabetes

elsalisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, everyone! My daughter is 9 and she was diagnosed with Type 1 this year. We were frightened at first, but after 5 days in hospital we felt better - mainly because all nurses and doctors were so friendly and helpful!
Then we just had to adjust to the new lifestyle. Our child dreams of being a vet and she actually behaves like a real doctor - started injecting herself on the second day in hospital. :)
We don't really have problems at the moment. But sometimes people react in a funny way, especially when they heard of your kid's diagnosis for the first time. One taxi driver, for example, who saw my child making an injection in the airport, spent nearly all the time to our house talking about how horrible this world is with so many diseases around; finally I had to stop him. And that's just one example - I have many more from my friends who also have diabetes...
People sometimes just don't realise what they say, it's not that they are bad, they just don't take time to think before they talk. And often it hurts.
So for our Lisa (and other people) I drew these pictures. I'm not great at drawing, I'm learning, so... :)))

Attachments

• IMG_0075e2.jpg
    IMG_0075e2.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_0077e2.jpg
    IMG_0077e2.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_0081e2.jpg
    IMG_0081e2.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0079e2.jpg
    IMG_0079e2.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0063e2.jpg
    IMG_0063e2.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_0082e2.jpg
    IMG_0082e2.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0076e2.jpg
    IMG_0076e2.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0062e2.jpg
    IMG_0062e2.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 815

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, everyone! My daughter is 9 and she was diagnosed with Type 1 this year. We were frightened at first, but after 5 days in hospital we felt better - mainly because all nurses and doctors were so friendly and helpful!
Then we just had to adjust to the new lifestyle. Our child dreams of being a vet and she actually behaves like a real doctor - started injecting herself on the second day in hospital. :)
We don't really have problems at the moment. But sometimes people react in a funny way, especially when they heard of your kid's diagnosis for the first time. One taxi driver, for example, who saw my child making an injection in the airport, spent nearly all the time to our house talking about how horrible this world is with so many diseases around; finally I had to stop him. And that's just one example - I have many more from my friends who also have diabetes...
People sometimes just don't realise what they say, it's not that they are bad, they just don't take time to think before they talk. And often it hurts.
So for our Lisa (and other people) I drew these pictures. I'm not great at drawing, I'm learning, so... :)))

well I think you have a sharp pen... spot on and very encouraging

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is just fantastic. You have made my day!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's brilliant, well done :)

elsalisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Excellent way of getting the message across @elsalisa
Thank you!!

well I think you have a sharp pen... spot on and very encouraging
Thank you! I'm learning to draw and I'm glad to know I can finally do something. :)

That is just fantastic. You have made my day!
Thank you, I'm happy to hear that!

Hi @elsalisa , have you seen this? It was published earlier this year and more are planned...

https://revolvecomics.com/diabetes-type-1-origins-comic/
I'll take a look, it seems to be very interesting, thank you!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love these coz that kid looks exactly like me haha! (Although I'm a bit older) Being a vet is a great ambition, good on her.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
One taxi driver

Great story, I'm sure your daughter's positive attitude will carry her through.

Taxi drivers, well my experience is that those who talk will talk for GB (or wherever). Sometimes their comments are made out of a sort of "embarrassment". It's also possible to to set them off when least expected. Recent taxi ride in Australia with a Japanese driver left me in no doubt that Australia is still a racist country, did he go on or what? It was like someone had lit the blue touch paper and I was stuck in the cab with him.

All the very best to you and your daughter.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Amazing, esp. in light of the fact you've only been in the T1 world for a few months!! My favorite is the person who loves to tell you, "if only you change your diet".....yeah, right.

D

Deleted member 308541

Recent taxi ride in Australia with a Japanese driver left me in no doubt that Australia is still a racist country, did he go on or what?
There are quite a few Yellow Cab drivers here in Bundaberg that are diabetic, I have struck up conversations with them about what type they are etc.

There are no Japonese drivers here tho', plenty of Australians and Indians of various castes driving cabs for a living.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
There are no Japonese drivers here tho

I was in Sydney but surprised because Japan has a high standard of living, why go to Oz?. I nearly said "If it's so awful, go somewhere else" but thought better of it. I once had a very nasty experience when a taxi driver lost his temper completely because of traffic conditions, couldn't wait to get out of his car.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great idea, and cool doodles - I hope you get somewhere with these :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant, it's the thought bubble responses that I like, it's not just me who had those type of thoughts then.............:D

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just stumbled across this thread
excellent @elsalisa !!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@elsalisa
Love it, especially the 'stay away' from some people. Totally spot on.