Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hello All,

My name is Dean I'm 25 and recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, also suffered a heart attack at the same time as being in hospital DKA, its a tough month haha.

I work in Security and run my own security company, have a son who is 19 months old.

Not very good at the whole "talk about yourself" thing so I'll leave it there for now.

Hopefully speak to you all regularly.

Dean.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey @Deanoh welcome to the exclusive, but not necessarily welcome T1D club. Sounds like you've had a tough start to your T1 journey there. Hope things are starting to turn out a bit better!

Reactions: Deanoh and therower

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hey @Deanoh welcome to the exclusive, but not necessarily welcome T1D club. Sounds like you've had a tough start to your T1 journey there. Hope things are starting to turn out a bit better!
Thanks Tim

Fresh out of hospital last week, and the learning begins haha, so far so good according to diabetes nurse so.. Fingers crossed for the rest of my issues ;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Deanoh . Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a rough time. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon.
Any questions, no matter what, just ask.

Reactions: Deanoh

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Dean, and welcome to the forums. You'll learn lots from the other T1's on here.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi,
I'm loving the high via picture. Hope you learn loads here and that you soon get back to playing with your son and building the business.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hi, Dean, and welcome to the forums. You'll learn lots from the other T1's on here.
Thank you! I'm sure I will, maybe a little slowly though as flicking through here, there is a hell of a lot of stuff to take in haha.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll find some pretty inspiring T1 stories (and help) if you stick around.
Best of luck.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Thanks Jo, yeah brilliant community here already love it. I'm sure I'll be sticking around

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
@Deanoh I have been type 1 for 14 years and have worked in security for the last 6 years being type 1.its all about adjusting insulin when on shifts

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Deanoh Welcome to the forum :)

Glad to see you're open to discussing it, it's good to off load here and get some support, so you don't feel so alone. Loads of experience in many forms too so if you have any questions at all there's always someone around to talk to ;)

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
@Deanoh I have been type 1 for 14 years and have worked in security for the last 6 years being type 1.its all about adjusting insulin when on shifts
This is something I've yet to start learning for shifts, as I had my heart attack at the same time as T1 diagnosis I am not allowed to work for 1-2 months, looking forward to going back though and learning.

How hard did you find it with shifts etc?

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi dean oh

Hope you are getting better.

One thing that I will say about diabetes is that it's not a sprint. You will have ups and downs but remember to talk to everyone around you and get them to understand that sometimes when your in a grumpy mood it's not you its because of the diabetes.

Take care

Mike

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forum. I am also recently diagnosed with Type 1, have thrown myself into learning and understanding the illness. I find myself frustrated at blood results, fasting results, and so on. I know I shouldn't as it's too soon, my diabetic nurse and staff are so good at helping.

What I am getting at, don't panic, it'll come for me, as it will for you. We're in this together.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hi dean oh

Hope you are getting better.

One thing that I will say about diabetes is that it's not a sprint. You will have ups and downs but remember to talk to everyone around you and get them to understand that sometimes when your in a grumpy mood it's not you its because of the diabetes.

Take care

Mike
Thanks Mike, talking has never been my strong suit, about myself or my problems anyway, something I'm working on!
Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forum. I am also recently diagnosed with Type 1, have thrown myself into learning and understanding the illness. I find myself frustrated at blood results, fasting results, and so on. I know I shouldn't as it's too soon, my diabetic nurse and staff are so good at helping.

What I am getting at, don't panic, it'll come for me, as it will for you. We're in this together.
Joe, hope it gets better for you mate, mine are generally around the 11 mark, nurse has just increased my Lantus today so we shall see if that helps! We'll get there eventually, don't let it get you down too much!

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand how you feel on that deanoh as I used to be the same, but in all honesty it's one of the best things I have finally managed to be able to do. My family are fabulous with me regarding my diabetes and love learning new things to help me out.

Stay strong and remember we are all here for you if you need us

Mike

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Definitely something I'm trying to get better with, I'm sure I'll get there like you have!

Likewise Mike, help where I can!

Reactions: morpheus123

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dean

Please be aware that I was only diagnosed a month before you were so don't take what I say too seriously as I might be an idiot and I am certainly inexperienced.

Anyway, I work in the film industry and was completely convinced I would be out of a job as it's super irregular and there are no regular patterns of work. If you're like me you've been told to establish a routine - ha - as if - not going to happen. I thought I'd be on the dole in a week.

I just got in from a 16 hour day, I am not going to tell you it is great, it is annoying, yes it takes up time, you need to work on your ability to handle meters and pens with your phone clamped to your ear with your shoulder, this is a feat of dexterity, but I can do it, and I'm the worst diabetic on the planet so what does that tell you. It may still go wrong, but there it is.

Mindi

Last edited:

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hi Dean

Please be aware that I was only diagnosed a month before you were so don't take what I say too seriously as I might be an idiot and I am certainly inexperienced.

Anyway, I work in the film industry and was completely convinced I would be out of a job as it's super irregular and there are no regular patterns of work. If you're like me you've been told to establish a routine - ha - as if - not going to happen. I thought I'd be on the dole in a week.

I just got in from a 16 hour day, I am not going to tell you it is great, it is annoying, yes it takes up time, you need to work on your ability to handle meters and pens with your phone clamped to your ear with your shoulder, this is a feat of dexterity, but I can do it, and I'm the worst diabetic on the planet so what does that tell you.

Mindi
Hi Mindi,

Glad things are working out for you! I'm yet to return to work due to the heart issues which I mentioned in my original post though I'm feeling positive I'll be able to manage things ok when I do return.

The time I've got to have off work gives me more time to get my head around the basics before having to possibly work a bit harder managing diabetes whilst working, or that's how I think of it anyway ;)

Hope things continue to go well for you!

All the best,
Dean.