Cauliflower cheese

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is Cauliflower cheese a suitable meal for LCHF diet? And how would you make it without flour?
Billy

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I do mine much the same way as @bulkbiker except that I mix my cheese with double cream before covering the cauliflower with it and baking until golden.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do mine much the same way as @bulkbiker except that I mix my cheese with double cream before covering the cauliflower with it and baking until golden.
I tried that and also using cream cheese but it seemed to get a bit "wet".. was I doing something wrong?
Also I sometimes add in some mozzarella which seems to get a nice stringy consistency.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a similar recipe for the sauce as I use for welsh rarebit - I mix together some eggs (2 for the size I make), grated cheese, a little cream, 1-2 tsp wholegrain mustard and a bit of worcester sauce - the egg counteracts the sloppiness and helps stop separation of cheese that cah sometimes happen with sauces

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For cauliflower cheese I microwave some frozen cauliflower, put a third of it into a mixing bowl and puree it (with a stick blender) with a load of grated cheddar, salt and pepper, and either a splash of water or a dollop of cream cheese so as to make a thick unctuous yummy cheese sauce, then mix that with the remaining microwaved florets, bung it into a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake.

I am told it is indistinguishable from flour-sauce-based cauliflower cheese. We have it to accompany sausages, or sometimes in its own right, perhaps with some ham in it, as a macaroni cheese alternative.

I get through a LOT of frozen cauliflower, which I buy in kilo bags. I am forever frustrated by the size of my freezer..........

:)

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use the recipe on ruled.me it tastes good but be aware that the portion sizes are very small for some reason. I used double the ingredients ie 4 servings rather than 2

Reactions: Billy7764

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having read this thread I really really want cauliflower cheese for my tea!

Sadly (actually not sadly - as I'm looking forward to it) we're having salmon fillets with Hollandaise sauce, homegrown poached eggs and a pile of veg. Oh, and homemade low carb lemon cheesecake. Well, it is Friday......!

Sausages tomorrow - and instead of caulimash with them I'll be doing cauliflower cheese, on the strength of this thread.

:)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mr_Pot My mother
does it when it's caulifower season.
Mom's recipe is a bit different, and sometimes adds other kinds of cheese, or instead of olive oil uses butter and milk cream, and adds some sage leaves, but the basic idea of the recipe is correct.

Reactions: Billy7764

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So it's Cauliflower cheese Tuesday. I mixed a few of your suggestions up. Into the blender went a handful of Cauliflower, butter, cream cheese, salt pepper, a egg, bit of double cream and 3 or 4 bits of random cheese I found floating around the back of the fridge. Should be ready very soon.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
13e2876e214b6a970472f83c7316064f.jpg

There it is, bon appetit.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it's Cauliflower cheese Tuesday. I mixed a few of your suggestions up. Into the blender went a handful of Cauliflower, butter, cream cheese, salt pepper, a egg, bit of double cream and 3 or 4 bits of random cheese I found floating around the back of the fridge. Should be ready very soon.
Don't forget the photo before you eat it!