Lows

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all

Just want a little bit of advice I’m a T1 on novorapid and Lantus, I’ve changed departments at work to a more physical job and some times have to work till 11pm.

So over the past 5 months I’ve been having lows every time I work till 11pm, been to see my diabetic nurse and she’s told me to do a couple of different things which I’ve done and doesn’t seem to work.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do or change as getting tired of having 3 lows a week

Reactions: himtoo

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Have they suggested lowering insulin when working? Or if jot maybe you could suggest see if it's something that can be looked at? Clearly more exercise when at work is helping bring BGs down therefore less insulins required?

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have they suggested lowering insulin when working? Or if jot maybe you could suggest see if it's something that can be looked at? Clearly more exercise when at work is helping bring BGs down therefore less insulins required?

Yes both have been lowered but haven’t seen any change

D

Deleted Account

Has a pump been suggested?
A pump would allow you to change your basal dose for the period when you are more physically active.
Exercise and hypos were the main motivation for me to start pumping

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Yes both have been lowered but haven’t seen any change
Have you tried eating a little more slow releasing foods like potatoes, bread, pasta etc. Before/during shift to keep BGs up for longer too, though I imagine this is something you've already thought of lol

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has a pump been suggested?
A pump would allow you to change your basal dose for the period when you are more physically active.
Exercise and hypos were the main motivation for me to start pumping

No it hasn’t, have heard a lot of good things about the pump and have actually asked for if a couple of time about year ago but got told I wasn’t suitable for one

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried eating a little more slow releasing foods like potatoes, bread, pasta etc. Before/during shift to keep BGs up for longer too, though I imagine this is something you've already thought of lol

Yep already thought and done that eat a lot of pasta to keep me going

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
No it hasn’t, have heard a lot of good things about the pump and have actually asked for if a couple of time about year ago but got told I wasn’t suitable for one
With regular lows I'd definitely try again for the pump, keep on at them, surely regular lows now make you suitable, right? :)

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With regular lows I'd definitely try again for the pump, keep on at them, surely regular lows now make you suitable, right? :)

I will definitely ask again talking to my nurse on Friday so I’ll mention it to her , you would like so

D

Deleted Account

As things have changed for you since a pump was last discussed, it might be worth bringing it up again.
Take a look at the pump threads. There is some great advice about how you should qualify for a pump.

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As things have changed for you since a pump was last discussed, it might be worth bringing it up again.
Take a look at the pump threads. There is some great advice about how you should qualify for a pump.

Thank you I will have a look

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
I will definitely ask again talking to my nurse on Friday so I’ll mention it to her , you would like so

Don't let them say no to you haha, and good luck!

Out of curiosity, how low are your lows generally?

Tillylace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't let them say no to you haha, and good luck!

Out of curiosity, how low are your lows generally?

It’s been anything between 3.2 and 1.2 which wasn’t nice at the time or the next day. Oh I won’t I’ll try

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Tillylace
here is a couple of things to look at regarding a pump
http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ -- they can help with gaining access to pumping-- they are a charity supporting D's and all of the charity workers are on pumps themselves. -- deffo worth contacting

is your current regime affecting your quality of life ??
If so that is a main criteria under the ABCD criteria for obtaining a pump
this is how I obtained my pump just over 2 years ago .

you are obviously very switched on regarding your D -- keep posting -- there are a fair few more of us who should be along with some support.

just tagging some more people to come along and support @catapillar , @Snapsy , @Juicyj , @therower , @claire1991 , @Robinredbreast

all the best
himtoo
x

Last edited:
Reactions: Deanoh

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can only imagine, yet to fall below 4.0.. It'd probably write me off for a week, I'm a guy ;)
no way dude -- us T1D's are made of tougher stuff than that !!!!!!!:):)
trust me after 45 years I have had my fair share of hypo's and even though they are not fun -- you do get used to them -- and just learn to deal with them as they happen and carry on
only way for me !!!!

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
no way dude -- us T1D's are made of tougher stuff than that !!!!!!!:):)
trust me after 45 years I have had my fair share of hypo's and even though they are not fun -- you do get used to them -- and just learn to deal with them as they happen and carry on
only way for me !!!!

Apologies, I totally forgot I was apart of the T1D club, I'll pull my socks up and crack on!

But allow me to get a little sympathy from the Mrs when it does happen first? haha

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Apologies, I totally forgot I was apart of the T1D club, I'll pull my socks up and crack on!

But allow me to get a little sympathy from the Mrs when it does happen first? haha
that has made me laugh out loud @Deanoh
we never win with our OH's -- NEVER -- I respect the fact you are young and not totally learned the ways of the dark side ---:D

total respect to you and your journey -- hopefully I can be along to assist you along the way

all the best !!!!!!!!!!
obiwan

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Many thanks @himtoo - I'm confident you can assist with the learning the ways of the dark side - T1D can be put on the back burner until then :D

Same to you also, anything I can do, just ask!

leahkian

You can reduce insulin again it maybe that insulin works faster when it is warm, so if it is warm that could help you along but i would ask about dropping your insulin down further and do ask about the pump as you would be able to change the amount of insulin you take when your at work. then go back to normal doses when you are off. It could be a reduction of one unit might make the difference for you.