Newly diagnosed and eating to blood glucose sugar monitor seems too easy?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Maradona: Thank you for this thread. Obviously your main interest is in dealing with your own health, but it is actually raising some very interesting issues (and ones that understandably generate controversy).

Reactions: Maradona

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - When I was diagnosed I thought I could get a set of rules I could clearly follow but the advice is often not clear to me. I'm sure others must feel the same.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - When I was diagnosed I thought I could get a set of rules I could clearly follow but the advice is often not clear to me. I'm sure others must feel the same.

I was lucky. The doctor just told me what to do (a low-carb diet; confusing to implement, but at least I knew the outline). I also "played it safe" by going ultra-low-carb and this is, from a mental confusion/planning point of view, easier to some extent than trying the "in-between route" as you are. We are all different, both in how our bodies react but also crucially in our tolerance for calculated risk.

Reactions: Maradona

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Diabetes is a very complicated disease. Human being bodies are very complicated. No two human bodies are the same. We are all at different stages in our diabetes journey. The NHS doesn't help one bit with its dietary advice, and GPs and nurses don't have enough knowledge about it. There are no sets of rules, advice is rarely clear. We are left with having to gain the knowledge ourselves through reading.

Just as a matter of interest, @Maradona you have an excellent fasting reading, but I put forward the suggestion this is down to your large dose of Metformin reducing the amount of glucose produced by your liver.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Maradona
I feel you are doing really well far a newly diagnosed. I also eat to my meter and have had normal HbA1c's for the last 2 years. I have found what works for me and hopefully you are finding what works for you. I have not gone very low carb, I just restrict the carbs my body can't cope with.It did take me 6 months to get my control and I still test as I want to keep control.

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Maradona
I feel you are doing really well far a newly diagnosed. I also eat to my meter and have had normal HbA1c's for the last 2 years. I have found what works for me and hopefully you are finding what works for you. I have not gone very low carb, I just restrict the carbs my body can't cope with.It did take me 6 months to get my control and I still test as I want to keep control.
THANK YOU

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Maradona
I’m the same in that I haven’t gone ultra low carb but know what I should and should not eat. @Maradona you are doing well however, looking at your figures, pasta seems to be the main culprit. I used to love pasta but now have courgetti or courgette lasagne so I get the same effect with only a portion of the carbs.

Reactions: TIANDB

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread it's been really thought provoking for me. I have got my levels down and I was thinking of relaxing my eating habits once I'd lost a bit more weight or even if it stalls. Up to now I'd just ignored insulin levels now I'm going to have to read up about it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Good morning – I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?

I have found that cutting out white bread and limiting potatoes and pasta works for me.

Oddly I can eat plenty of chocolate and Chocolate biscuits between meals without much impact. Also, most Indian and Chinese ready meals are very good, as long as I do not have much rice. I do not bother with much fruit and veg.

Eating out seems ok, a large Thai meal and 4 pints of larger last night gave a reading of 6.3 two hours later. Steak and chips or cannelloni give similar results. I do avoid puddings though.

So my diet seems quite easy and does not follow the guidelines. Am I missing something?

I take 1500mg of metformin.

My readings are fasting 5.0 and after meals between 6.0 and 8.0.

I am not overweight.
That seems good

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
seriously lose the chocolate and biscuits. youve got a fair few over target bloods my bloods are between 5-7 i would be cutting out stuff that sends you into the 9s and above. seriously the better control the better your future health. your not testing daily with spikes like yours i would be checking more often. your exercise is helping you.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning – I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?

I have found that cutting out white bread and limiting potatoes and pasta works for me.

Oddly I can eat plenty of chocolate and Chocolate biscuits between meals without much impact. Also, most Indian and Chinese ready meals are very good, as long as I do not have much rice. I do not bother with much fruit and veg.

Eating out seems ok, a large Thai meal and 4 pints of larger last night gave a reading of 6.3 two hours later. Steak and chips or cannelloni give similar results. I do avoid puddings though.

So my diet seems quite easy and does not follow the guidelines. Am I missing something?

I take 1500mg of metformin.

My readings are fasting 5.0 and after meals between 6.0 and 8.0.

I am not overweight.

I get that fruit is a pain but veg is great cause it’s virtually zero carb and are super healthy too

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - confusing though. surely if I eat to my meter its ok?
I only go out for a beer every other month and most days I have a Salad
Actually One biscuit is only 8g of carbs & one square of chocholate is only 2g
I eat 8 gm of carbs PER DAY, not per biscuit. You can do better