statins for cholestrol management

shamrock69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonest people
I had good news from doctor this morning,6 weeks ago my hba1c was 119 (my diabetes was out of control)today it is 59 (5 weeks of lchf)which is certainly heading in the right direction.Doctor wants me on a statin for high bad cholestrol but im not sure as ive read it can higher blood sugars? anyone had any experience of statins?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to be inundated with info type "statins" into the search bar at the top of the page and prepare yourself for some reading...

Reactions: shamrock69

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There are many many threads on statin use, there was one posted earlier today.

Magnificent work on your A1c! Well done that man!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Higher blood sugars is one of the reasons I’ve refused them so far, along with nasty side effects that don’t necessarily go when you stop them, I don’t want to undo my hard work.
Well done on your HbA1c!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on that remarkable drop in your HbA1c. Wonderful achievement. :)

I agree with the others about using the search box for threads on statins and cholesterol. It will take you weeks to read them all!

One thing I would suggest though is you find out exactly what your cholesterol was (HDL, LDL and triglicerides. Without that knowledge there is no way either you or your doctor can make a decision. Before anyone takes statins they need to know if they need them, and what good it might do them (or might not do them)

Reactions: himtoo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on that brilliant reduction on HbA1c!

Before you make any decision about statins, I would ask for a full breakdown of your cholesterol test results (your doc just saying 'high bad cholesterol' isn't really helpful), and then do a bit of research. We are all so unique that the range of views on statin use varies hugely. :)

Edited to add: lol simultaneous posting with @Bluetit1802

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ardneham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on that remarkable drop in your HbA1c. Wonderful achievement. :)

I agree with the others about using the search box for threads on statins and cholesterol. It will take you weeks to read them all!

One thing I would suggest though is you find out exactly what your cholesterol was (HDL, LDL and triglicerides. Without that knowledge there is no way either you or your doctor can make a decision. Before anyone takes statins they need to know if they need them, and what good it might do them (or might not do them)

ardneham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What an Indian Professor has to say about Statins and Diabetes, please follow the lectures
of renowned Dr.B.M. Hegde on Youtube.

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually I am on statins and my blood sugar has not gone up since. I am on metformin and insulin for diabetes, plus 10 other medications for various other long term conditions but still manage to keep my blood sugar stable