Sorry to be a pain libre help

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Yay @Soapybubs87
glad you got your Libre running --:)
it looks great on your arm !!:)

that difference between BG and the libre is due to the fact that the libre is actually reading interstitial fluid as opposed to blood.

this will cause it to have a delay of 15-20 minutes between libre and meter.

really pleased it helped you avoid a hypo this evening -- that is one of it's great features.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great thread!

Just to add, I was a little self conscious at work and gym so I got some Rock tape which is skin coloured. I prefer it over the sensor alone. Best of luck

Reactions: himtoo
P

Peter_Sylvester

For ease @Soapybubs87 here is an extract from my post which I published at this link..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-my-life-with-the-machine.128605/

---------

Libre: Reading variations

On this forum, I have been seeing various comments about the accuracy (or otherwise) of Libre readings by comparison with actual blood test readings - so I thought that I would conduct my own little experiment..!

Over a 3 day period, I conducted a comparison of the Libre readings against a separate Nexus test strip meter.

The results were interesting...

(1). When the Libre readings were within my “target range” (5.0 to 9.0) I found that the difference between the two systems was +/- 0.2 max. The closer the reading was to the “median”, the closer the two readings were
(2). When Libre showed a substantial spike upwards, it seemed to exaggerate that reading by comparison with the Nexus reading. The biggest difference from the four times it happened was +0.9 greater than the Nexus reading
(3). Similarly, when things started to go low, the actual blood reading according to Nexus did not go as low as the Libre reading ( Libre 3.9 v 4.8 Nexus)

So if my little experiment is any indication, then Libre exaggerates the highs and lows, and when it is “within range” seems fairly consistent with the Nexus machine

I put this out there without any causal or analytical conclusions - it is far too early for that.

However, my personal reaction was fairly positive - I took reassurance from the “fact” that when I deviated from my central path, I was neither as high or as low as the initial Libre warnings showed

Peter

Reactions: Soapybubs87

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, remember that any new sensor takes around 24 hours to "settle in"
Ahh didnt know thanks for the info i suppose the main this is of it is flashin a bit low or high check with blood, maybe it is designed so that it shows you lower or higher so the issue can be corrected before there is an issue? Ive no compainta so far ive tested my fingers twice yet got 6 readings and avoided hi and low readings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh god i didnt even know ive disposed of the aplicator now as well
Your piccy looks as though you have mastered it. There is a tendency to feel that it is at risk so some people cover it with a plaster. There are posts elsewhere that recommend plasters. I use a shortish length of sports tubular bandage and pull it up over the sensor.

I don't know why you are worried about throwing your applicator away since it's a one time device and you seem to have done it.

The sensor seems to want a 24 hour settling in period so I don't start mine until they have been on my arm for a day or so. In the early days I had one that failed and I phoned Abbott. They would not entertain me unless I had worn the sensor for at least 24 hours.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can improve the accuracy of readings from the sensor by calibrating it with fingerstick readings. Android application Glimp does this, and also shows a nice zoomable, scrollable graph with insulin dosing. Makes it quick to see how much longer the last bolus is working for (if you set up duration for your insulin).

Glimp uses NFC on the phone to read the sensor, as does Abbott's LibreLink software. If that works, so will Glimp.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mr S was asked by a mate in our local pub 'Did they forget to take the anti-theft tag off Snapsy when you bought her?'. It was very lighthearted, and I resisted temptation to spit in his pint.

I'm sure Mr S told him, "Yes, she wears an anti-theft tag because she's priceless!"

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If you struggle to get it off at the end of the 14 days baby oil helps. Soak around the edges.

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone! Yeah i am saying it is my security tag! i can get some tubeygrip from work thats a brill idea and i will check the app out now! It said my bg was 16 but on finger test it was 14 (although thanks to everyone i now know that high morning bg is normal for most so had a couple of clicks of novarapid

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 yr Libre User. Also active in a 12,000 strong Facebook Libre User Group. We have found out a few tips and tricks. Some can just pull the Libre off, some can’t without causing some redness. The secret is to soak the edges with a little baby oil. Any oil will do but baby oil is more pleasant than WD40. The adhesive can get a really good grip if application prepared correctly. A few minutes of oil eases it off.

Again, the tips for application are: Make certain that the alcohol wipe has completely dried; alcohol will stop the adhesive sticking; I use a warm hairdryer just before application to make sure it has all dried and also to warm the skin which always helps medical adhesives. Press the applicator down firmly and hold down for 10 seconds to allow the adhesive to bond. Some do have problems with it coming off early. You can search online for Libre Adhesive Guide to get a useful Abbott document.

The Libre is at its most inaccurate in the first 24 hours due to insertion trauma. So apply it 24 hrs before you need it. Just leave it unactivated for that 24 hrs and you don’t lose any of the 14 days.

It can be life changing but takes a while to fully get the benefit. So much more information than BGM and HbA1c. The spot values are the least useful; like BGM, single values have greater errors. The graphs and trends are the real advantage. And then there is AGP. ..... Welcome to the new world of diabetes control!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Baby oil around the edge of the sensor helps loosen it. If you are worried about it coming off use skintac and/or tegaderm but be warned you might get some skin irritation - I am testing out a barrier spray (Cavillon) to try and minimise that

Fearless36

Just to share, I've worn one only for 2 weeks and couldn't get another sensor, but I have found it not to be that accurate. I had several instances where the device had me at "Low blood" levels, but my blood test confirmed I was 5.5. I did it afterwards, having spoken to Libre about it, and they advised 20 minutes afterwards should give me the same result. However it never did. I did 20, 40 and 60 minutes and did blood tests at the same time and had the same results. I reported this to Libre who said it was perhaps an error with the sensor, but I'm not convinced and haven't seen anything that shows this from others. Its a big gap for me, and whilst it definitely helped me avoid hypos the lack or accuracy lack of sugars is somewhat worrying.
Yay @Soapybubs87
this will cause it to have a delay of 15-20 minutes between libre and meter.