Reversing T2

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, me again

After being diagnosed last month I’ve spent a lot of time reading the forums, various diets and literature about the possibility of reversing or the very least managing the condition through diet/lifestyle changes.

I was wondering does time have an effect on improving/reversing diabetes? What I mean by this is since being diagnosed I’ve already lost 12kg now by going to the gym and changing my eating habits and am happy with how things are going but it’s going to take a while to get to my target weight and I as wondering if you have a better chance of reversing the condition by doing a rapid weight loss plan like the Newcastle diet?

I’ve done the NHS milk diet in the past and lost 6 1/2 stone in just over 2 months which was a record back in 2005 so I can do that sort of rapid diet so basically what I’m asking is if it’s better to lose weight quickly or slowly?
Although a little slow to the table... sorry about that... I would advocate doing a period of rapid weight loss using fasting mechanisms and then follow it up with a low carb (not necessarily very low carb). If you have a meter you can match the amount and types of carbs to what your body is capable of handling. The reason I suggest fasting (ND is a form but so is 5:2 and your milk) is that there is evidence that it has beneficial properties in helping the body recover.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although a little slow to the table... sorry about that... I would advocate doing a period of rapid weight loss using fasting mechanisms and then follow it up with a low carb (not necessarily very low carb). If you have a meter you can match the amount and types of carbs to what your body is capable of handling. The reason I suggest fasting (ND is a form but so is 5:2 and your milk) is that there is evidence that it has beneficial properties in helping the body recover.
That works for me too ,@andcol. Lose weight when I fast or use very low calorie diet methods. Maintain loss and good BG levels by low carb, with enough fat. Can't cope with high levels of fat due to having no gall bladder and other digestive system problems. I have to restrict cream, cheese, fat from meat, oil , but nuts and full fat yogurt and milk, and avocado suit me fine.
Individual differences and circumstances need to be considered. Only way to find out is to try and note results.