Reversing T2

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But surely the things that you miss are what brought you here in the first place?
That's what I don't quite understand... you know they gave you Type 2 but still want them?
That's just illogical or am I missing something?

You are missing something. Over consumption of these things got me here and I have no intention of over consumption.
Wanting something that tastes nice doesn't mean I will have it - but does mean I miss it.

I am afraid I am much weaker than you @bulkbiker. I have had a speeding ticket but sometimes note my speed is just over the limit, I sometimes got drunk even though I knew it would give me a headache - I could go on for ever. What you suggest and this I think is where we differ - is that if there was a magic drink you drunk that cured completely ever aspect of T2 and never allowed it to return in any form - you might not even take it but if you did you would carry on with your new LCHF because you love it. I myself would drink it straight down - maintain LCHF for the vast majority and give myself a few treats every so often.

I like Prof T quote - "...it allows those to have wedding cake - everyone loves wedding cake it is delicious... ". I am absolutely in that camp. If everyone has the control you represent - why is it you worry about them putting weight back on after the ND has finished - surely the weight is what got them there - surely therefore they will keep it off - or am I missing something?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you hoping that by doing the ND you will be able to eat as you used to?

Personally I don't see why eating LCHF stops you from eating Christmas Cake as long as you don't do it everyday. Just 'cause someone eats LCHF most days doesn't mean that they can't have the odd meal that isn't.

My problem with eating sugars/carbs is that they are addictive to me and after eating them I'd have to deal with the cravings to eat more of them. Constant nagging cravings to eat puts me off eating them.

No - there is no way I will ever eat like I once did and even Prof T says you will need to cut back massively. In fact I intend to stick largely to LCHF. Does that mean that I might allow myself a mince pie once a year - a roast potato once a week - a bit of rice once a year etc. Yes I do hope so.

The LCHF did not work for me I am sorry to say. I got my BG right down and then it started to go up no matter what carb rate I went down to. Two weeks on ND and I was able to consume 75g of carbs with a peek but with much much better control. I would love to be able to consume just 75g of carbs a day every so often. That is what I am aiming for.

If my posts have implied that the ND cures you and allows you to go back - then really sorry - not my intention and I don't think I have said that. In fact what I am trying to do is turn some mis-information on ND into some facts based on my experience.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me I'm afraid as I always hated Christmas cake... and I'm afraid that hubby is of Chinese origin and would never ever touch sweet and sour pork balls.. they are about as Chinese as mushy peas... crispy duck however is something else completely.

Maybe looking on some of those foods as "poison" would help... oops I did it again...

Oh I have no idea what your partner bought home when you posted - you didn't say - I was using my own example and pointing out that you did indeed say you found that tricky.

I wont respond to more om this - my point was to push back on some mis-information in your posts and I have done that - this is turning into one of those silly arguments where people end up leaving.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fleegle I was just wondering why you wondering I think. But you've explained where you are at diet wise and what you are hoping for in the future AND why you posted as you did. It is good that people try to correct what they see as mis-information.

Your comments/advice on ND are very welcome and interesting to me. If my levels too start going back up then it's something that I will look into.

Because I'm new to this T2 malarky I focused on only a few aspects of managing it. Now I'm nearly 5 months on I am aware that there are some aspects that I need to start getting my head around ND, Keto and Insulin levels being just 3 of them.

Time for some more reading and book buying (of course).

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fleegle I was just wondering why you wondering I think. But you've explained where you are at diet wise and what you are hoping for in the future AND why you posted as you did. It is good that people try to correct what they see as mis-information.

Your comments/advice on ND are very welcome and interesting to me. If my levels too start going back up then it's something that I will look into.

Because I'm new to this T2 malarky I focused on only a few aspects of managing it. Now I'm nearly 5 months on I am aware that there are some aspects that I need to start getting my head around ND, Keto and Insulin levels being just 3 of them.

Time for some more reading and book buying (of course).

Thanks for that I appreciate it.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But surely the things that you miss are what brought you here in the first place?
That's what I don't quite understand... you know they gave you Type 2 but still want them?
That's just illogical or am I missing something?

You are so right @bulkbiker but sometimes your logic is a bit relentless!:D

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the OP has got all of the information they wanted on the ND?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If everyone has the control you represent - why is it you worry about them putting weight back on after the ND has finished - surely the weight is what got them there - surely therefore they will keep it off - or am I missing something?

You are missing that I don't believe that diets that restrict calories are sustainable for most people. Almost all of us have tried them and almost all of us have failed. Almost all of us have lost then regained and in most cases regained even more. I know this is not true for everyone but it is certainly true for a lot of us (especially me?).

So... to lead people to expect a "cure" from a calorie restricted diet which depends on a lifetime of calorie restriction (which is what Prof Taylor says you will need) is in my view a bit silly.

Eating LCHF I have lost weight (about 30% of my start weight) without counting calories. I think I can maintain this way of eating quite easily for the rest of my life and hopefully will get the health benefits from doing so. That is what has worked for me and so I like to evangelise about it to let others know.
I worry about people regaining weight after the ND because in my experience that is what people who "diet" do ... myself included. The lack of long term follow up on those who have completed the ND (under Prof Taylor) implies that this may be true in those as well although with a very small sample size (fewer than 200 even with the new cohort and those being cherry picked) we can't really draw any general conclusions.

I think you are very determined in doing the ND and admire you very much for completing it. I hope you get some great results from having done it and will be most interested in your next HbA1c levels if you choose to share them with us. There have however been others on the forum (definitely not you) making claims about its effectiveness which are simply misleading.

These are of course only my opinions. although I have read quite a lot about the subject. I wait to be proven wrong when the Prof releases the next set of findings.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What you keep missing in your logic tho, .are the comments from multiple people that while the ketogenic diet works well for you and for some others, it does not / has not worked for them and results in rising blood sugars and / or weight gain.
If one approach does not work then,logically speaking, people will always look for another way to produce better results

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you keep missing in your logic tho, .are the comments from multiple people that while the ketogenic diet works well for you and some others, it does not / has not worked for them and results in rising blood sugars and / or weight gain

I have never said it would work for everyone...I always base what I write on my own reading or my own experience.
It has worked wonders for me so I can't see any reason not to advise others to try it. If it doesn't work for them there are plenty of other things to try... however reading the success stories threads LCHF/keto seems to have the most beneficial effects. Including yourself if your signature is correct. Where is my logic at fault?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never said it would work for everyone...I always base what I write on my own reading or my own experience.
It has worked wonders for me so I can't see any reason not to advise others to try it. If it doesn't work for them there are plenty of other things to try... however reading the success stories threads LCHF/keto seems to have the most beneficial effects. Including yourself if your signature is correct. Where is my logic at fault?
If you read my sig and previous responses to yourself and other keto advocates, I do not follow keto which I take as being under 25g carbs - it makes me very ill with rising blood sugars and high ketones (7+ so well outside of nutritional ketosis)
The problem is telling people who have already found and reported that keto doesnt work for them that what they should do is follow keto - that is very illogical

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is telling people who have already found and reported that keto doesnt work for them that what they should do is follow keto

Please show me an example of where I have done this?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no intention of wasting my time trawling back through posts - You can either accept the observation or stay on your high horse - thats your choice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no intention of wasting my time trawling back through posts - You can either accept the observation or stay on your high horse - thats your choice
Thought not.

Edited by moderator to remove an inflammatory comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Boo1979 - I admire your posts - but this is only going to go one way with you posting goodbye! So move on point well made.

Although really hard to believe the original post I think was about the ND. How we always descend into the only way is the LCHF way in every thread I have no idea but surely the mods should stop it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanx.
Im not about to say goodbye tho - Ive made my point and dont feel the need to engage in any playground politics!
I would agree about the role of moderators

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please read the forum rules.
If you feel that posts on this thread have broken them, then use the Report button.

Please also bear in mind that it is inappropriate to call in the moderators just because you disagree with someone else's views during a civil discussion.