Type 1 So confused!

Sunshine1000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I am 54 and was diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago . I am metformin twice a day. I feel that I am coping ok with testing and eating accordingly and have reduced my sugars and carbs. But sometimes I think I have eaten well but my levels are high and then don’t know what I should have done. I am so tired and getting really hungry even though I have had a meal. I have even woken in the night due to hunger!
Can anyone point me towards a good choice for snacking when I’m soo hungry? Is tiredness normal and should I give into it!
Thanks for reading this ramble!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

You say you are T1 but only on Metformin. Is this correct? Can you give us a little information about your diagnosis - which tests you had and what the results were? What sort of symptoms did you have prior to diagnosis? Were you losing or gaining weight without trying?

Reactions: Grateful

Sunshine1000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome,

You say you are T1 but only on Metformin. Is this correct? Can you give us a little information about your diagnosis - which tests you had and what the results were? What sort of symptoms did you have prior to diagnosis? Were you losing or gaining weight without trying?

Yes just metformin. I had a urine test that had high glucose and blood levels. There was no weight change just sudden (over two weeks) onset of fatigue, nausea, shakiness and headaches. I have had an antibody blood test to confirm t1, get the results on Monday.

Sunshine1000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes just metformin. I had a urine test that had high glucose and blood levels. There was no weight change just sudden (over two weeks) onset of fatigue, nausea, shakiness and headaches. I have had an antibody blood test to confirm t1, get the results on Monday.

I felt quite a lot better the first week of taking the Metformin but am now going downhill a bit.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you really are T1 then you probably need to go onto insulin shortly although there can be a honeymoon period when a low-carb diet may hold your BS at bay but with T1 that will not last. Did the GP also do a c-peptide test to check your insulin levels?

Reactions: Sunshine1000

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I am 54 and was diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago . I am metformin twice a day. I feel that I am coping ok with testing and eating accordingly and have reduced my sugars and carbs. But sometimes I think I have eaten well but my levels are high and then don’t know what I should have done. I am so tired and getting really hungry even though I have had a meal. I have even woken in the night due to hunger!
Can anyone point me towards a good choice for snacking when I’m soo hungry? Is tiredness normal and should I give into it!
Thanks for reading this ramble!

Yes, tiredness is common in untreated diabetes, without insulin your body cannot use the energy in the food you are consuming so you easily get fatigued. Before diagnosis I could easily sleep 12hrs a day and still feel tired. For me, taking insulin was like somebody throwing a switch.

Good luck, you know where to find us.

Reactions: Sunshine1000