Can running effect your blood sugar levels

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Can running effect your blood sugar levels please because I'm supposed to walk or go swimming

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, yeah. But just because running effects blood sugar levels is no reason not to run. So long as you have a good understanding of how running might effect your blood sugar, you have taken reasonable precautions before hand (ie you don't have active insulin on board or you've had a carb snack) and you have a test kit and hypo treatment with you then you're good to go.

Reactions: yoga and diabetes

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Well, yeah. But just because running effects blood sugar levels is no reason not to run. So long as you have a good understanding of how running might effect your blood sugar, you have taken reasonable precautions before hand (ie you don't have active insulin on board or you've had a carb snack) and you have a test kit and hypo treatment with you then you're good to go.
Ok thank you

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can running effect your blood sugar levels please because I'm supposed to walk or go swimming
Exercise will raise your Bgl for a little bit as it triggers your body to release energy into your blood to feed your cells the extra that they need... I would go up to 9s when I exercised but would be in the 6s after eating... my dn said it was normal... however when i went low carb I drained my liver of the glucose so it didn't rise at all in exercise and my food covered only what I used...
Don't stop exercising, a good brisk walk to start with and build on will be good, make sure you drink lots of water and test your levels as @catapillar said. I would also recommend keeping a journal of your bgl to show the dn and see for yourself how it is effecting you over time.

D

Deleted Account

Exercise affects each of us in different ways.
It depends on many things such as what exercise you are doing, how fit you are at THAT exercise and how long you do it for. Your BG may also be affected by your starting BG.

If you are a regular runner, you may find that running will decrease your BG.
If you finding running a struggle it will increase your BG.
If you run for a short period (usually less than 20 minutes), it will increase your BG.
If you run for a longer period, it may decrease your BG.
If you start with a high BG, you may fin running a struggle and, hence, it may increase your BG further.

The best thing to do is to give it a go. As @catapillar says, just because it affects your BG, it is no reason not to run.
If you can, it may be a good idea to run with someone else at first as you learn how running affects you.

You can also take a look at runsweet.com which covers many different types of exercise with diabetes.

Reactions: therower

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello im a fairly competitive runner or atleast i try to be the one thing i find is the time of day i train really effect my blood glucose levels. I like to train in the evening before dinner but I find that can really raise my blood suger levels mybe due to me getting stressed about the run im planning also for example the otherday day i tested my blood at like 6pm just before i went running its came back at like 5.9 which would seem perfect i gave myself 1 unit of nova rapid insulin ran for like a 6 mile interval session came home and the blood was up at about 12. I find that kind of level ok to run with but when it starts to get higher i really notice it effecting my performance. normally

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
hello im a fairly competitive runner or atleast i try to be the one thing i find is the time of day i train really effect my blood glucose levels. I like to train in the evening before dinner but I find that can really raise my blood suger levels mybe due to me getting stressed about the run im planning also for example the otherday day i tested my blood at like 6pm just before i went running its came back at like 5.9 which would seem perfect i gave myself 1 unit of nova rapid insulin ran for like a 6 mile interval session came home and the blood was up at about 12. I find that kind of level ok to run with but when it starts to get higher i really notice it effecting my performance. normally
Oh my God that is high I thought it goes low

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think because there’s not allot of insulin left at that time of day it’s allot better controlled if I run after dinner

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I run fast, my blood glucose always spikes! Thanks to coming back from injury and slowing my pace RIGHT down, I was finding recently instead that I was dipping rather than spiking. I've been using trial and error over this last week by having less insulin on board for my runs, and this morning's parkrun was good as I didn't go high OR low for once!

Mind you tomorrow's run will be a whole different story. Always the way.....
:rolleyes:

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don’t do allot of running after breakfast normally but my insulin’s allot more sensitive at that time of day so It would go down. allot of it would depend on what I had for breakfast and the amount of insulin I had before. I don’t count carbs or anything like mainly just guess work. I would take a energy gel or something with me if I was doing more than about 10k

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I don’t do allot of running after breakfast normally but my insulin’s allot more sensitive at that time of day so It would go down. allot of it would depend on what I had for breakfast and the amount of insulin I had before. I don’t count carbs or anything like mainly just guess work. I would take a energy gel or something with me if I was doing more than about 10k
How much insulin do you use

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How much insulin do you use
It would depend on my blood sugar levels in the morning probably about 6-8 units more likely 6 Unless it was abit high to start with I would need to have breakfast first probably like porridge or omelette and toast. It’s normally cycling I do in the morning which is slightly easier to control the blood doing

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
It would depend on my blood sugar levels in the morning probably about 6-8 units more likely 6 Unless it was abit high to start with I would need to have breakfast first probably like porridge or omelette and toast. It’s normally cycling I do in the morning which is slightly easier to control the blood doing
Do you do a lot of exercise because it looks like you do.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you do a lot of exercise because it looks like you do.
i probably train about 5 times a week Iv ran up to half marathons never done a marathon yet hopefully one day been focusing more on cycling this year i don't let having diabetes hold me back from any activities.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
i probably train about 5 times a week Iv ran up to half marathons never done a marathon yet hopefully one day been focusing more on cycling this year i don't let having diabetes hold me back from any activities.
Well done you