Morning readings?!

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings in the morning are awful. I go to bed at 5-6 and wake up at 8+. What's worse is that they keep rising until I eat breakfast!? I'm not hungry in the morning and I run around stressed and busy getting us all out to school/work so I don't have time to eat. Would coffee and cream help or eating something before bed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Ps I'm trying to stabilise blood sugars and lose weight with a low carb (80g approx per day) and I'm on week 2. Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the same problem on diagnosis and for the following couple of months. I hadn’t been a breakfast person since childhood, but I forced myself to eat breakfast to try to stop this morning rise in readings, I’m now used to it and often wake up hungry for my low carb coconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, not a grain in site!) with strawberries and cream. I also have a small handful of nuts before bed. I’ve heard that a coffee with cream may work too. It’s just trial and error to see what works for you in the end. Morning readings are the last to settle down too. I eat between 50 - 70g carbs per day but I also take Metformin, I’ve lost 4 stone in 6 months and my HbA1c is now ‘non diabetic’. Stick at your eating plan it’ll all settle down eventually I’m sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: andi2508

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was in a rush to get to clinic yesterday so i forgot to have breakfast i had my insulin so very dumb. but instead of dropping low it was the highest its been in 2 weeks, only managed to get some food at 3 my bloods then dropped back to normal. still need to learn my body better.

Reactions: andi2508

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same problem on diagnosis and for the following couple of months. I hadn’t been a breakfast person since childhood, but I forced myself to eat breakfast to try to stop this morning rise in readings, I’m now used to it and often wake up hungry for my low carb coconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, not a grain in site!) with strawberries and cream. I also have a small handful of nuts before bed. I’ve heard that a coffee with cream may work too. It’s just trial and error to see what works for you in the end. Morning readings are the last to settle down too. I eat between 50 - 70g carbs per day but I also take Metformin, I’ve lost 4 stone in 6 months and my HbA1c is now ‘non diabetic’. Stick at your eating plan it’ll all settle down eventually I’m sure.

Thanks Rachox, wow! 4 stone in 6 months! Stuff of dreams for me! Do you have somewhere where you post what you eat in a day? I have 5 stone to loose and so far it's not shifting very fast!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox, wow! 4 stone in 6 months! Stuff of dreams for me! Do you have somewhere where you post what you eat in a day? I have 5 stone to loose and so far it's not shifting very fast!
Thank you, yes I’m really chuffed, but still have more to loose, it’s still coming off slowly though. I am on Metformin too which has the handy side effect of reducing my appetite :)
Are you asking if I personally post what I eat each day? I keep spread sheets for my own info. including what I ate, blood sugar readings and weight, there is a ‘What have you eaten today?’ thread in the Type 2 Forum here which I occasionally post on.

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, yes I’m really chuffed, but still have more to loose, it’s still coming off slowly though. I am on Metformin too which has the handy side effect of reducing my appetite :)
Are you asking if I personally post what I eat each day? I keep spread sheets for my own info. including what I ate, blood sugar readings and weight, there is a ‘What have you eaten today?’ thread in the Type 2 Forum here which I occasionally post on.

Thanks, I was just looking for inspiration or a clue about what to eat to get my blood sugars controlled and lose weight. I will have a look at that thread

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: No2D and andi2508