Anyone that meditates or does gong baths? Hypo trigger advice.

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
So i'm type 1, have been for 22 years (I'm 26) last night i went to my 1st gong bath.
Within an hour my bloods dropped from 8.4 to 1.6! Had no warning signs till the very last second (Bit scary when i live alone), but that's not what worries me.... It's this, i hadn't done any physical activity 'cause i'd been led relaxing all night, my last dose of rapid was 4 hours previous and i have no lumps or bumps in my injection sites.
I have spoken to my nurse at the hospital this morning and she has suggested the Gong Bath may be the cause and has advised me to drop my does and keep an eye on myself at the next one.

I'm just really confused, i don't understand how meditation could affect my sugars in that way.

Has anyone else had this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @McOwarth I haven't tried a Gong Bath - but a few years ago I used to practice meditation with a Buddhist group and the sessions lasted 1.5 hours, a few times I had to treat for a hypo without any novorapid on board (sessions were before lunch) - I simply put it down to being in such a relaxed state of mind that I didn't have any 'stress hormones' in play, so without any resistance my levels would tend to run lower. The only way to successfully manage it is to either snack before the session and reduce your bolus, or to test every hour -which kind of defeats the deep relaxation experience but it's best to be safe than hypo.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What happens in a Gong Bath?
In a typical gong bath setting, you lay down on comfy mats with a pillow and blanket over you, close your eyes and just listen to the sound of the gongs wash over you.

Within 20mins your brain changes state and your body relaxes. Your body will do what it needs, from sleeping to having visualisations. When the session is over which is normally 45mins light percussion is played to help gently wake your body and energy back up. You often feel like 2mins has past or a few hours has past, either way you feel great!

It is a sound detox as the sound will last for three days in your system. You must drink lots of clean water afterwards and most people experience a happy buzz for days.

For some people they might notice emotions that come to the surface, I’ve seen people who have had serious injuries not feel pain anymore and you may find your life purpose is more clear. The power of Gongs is amazing!

* re-posted from Google, not my words !

Last edited:
Reactions: Actaeon70

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I take it you can't just lay on your bed for 45 minutes listening to a recording of gongs and get a similar result?

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
I think the vibrations play a part too.

I was just perplexed at it potentially triggering a hypo that big and that came on so fast

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
After the initial drop have you noticed any short term reduction in insulin requirements?

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
Generally i can pick up drop in my sugars at around 4.0 / 3.8 but when i got signs last night it was very sudden (eyes went all funny and my arms and legs went spasmy) and tested to find i was 1.6. That's been the only ''not normal'' thing, so apart from that everything has been fine. Same ratio at breakfast and lunch today and my sugars have held steady

Reactions: Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the vibrations play a part too.

I was just perplexed at it potentially triggering a hypo that big and that came on so fast

Hi @McOwarth ,

Was your last bolus 4 hours previous to the start of the GB? I'm thinking you may have been so "in the zone" (losing track of time.) you didn't notice the usual signs...
Are you on MDI or a pump?

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
Hi @McOwarth ,

Was your last bolus 4 hours previous to the start of the GB? I'm thinking you may have been so "in the zone" (losing track of time.) you didn't notice the usual signs...
Are you on MDI or a pump?

I had dinner and insulin at 5, the bath started at 7.40 and finished at 8.40, was home and in my jammies and got my hypo warning at 10.

No, sadly I'm stuck on pens, been trying to get a pump for years