Got my NHS prescription for Libre!

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woohoo! So happy. Went to doctors this morning and I showed him my Libre and explained how much it has helped with glucose control and that it is now on the NHS. He said immediately that he is happy to prescribe it for me and he is all for new technology if it helps people. It isn't on the computer system though yet so he said he will do a handwritten script for it which I can pick up on Monday (for some reason they can't do handwritten prescriptions on a Saturday). Wondered has anyone else had success yet?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
congrats but has you commissioning group agreed to it. because the funding will need to be sorted. £1200 a year will dent there budget.

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, probably not but at least my doctor is willing which is the first hurdle.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Woohoo! So happy. Went to doctors this morning and I showed him my Libre and explained how much it has helped with glucose control and that it is now on the NHS. He said immediately that he is happy to prescribe it for me and he is all for new technology if it helps people. It isn't on the computer system though yet so he said he will do a handwritten script for it which I can pick up on Monday (for some reason they can't do handwritten prescriptions on a Saturday). Wondered has anyone else had success yet?
That is great news I am so hoping that I will also get mine prescribed, I had just bought 4 sensors when they announced the would be on NHS so I am hoping these 4 will see me through to my doctors prescribing and any hiccups along the way

Reactions: x Carol x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wondered has anyone else had success yet?

There was a post last week by Spookie13 who'd managed to get one:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-pharmacy-trouble.129072/#post-1613778

I'm obviously pretty keen on getting them for free, so don't want to rain on the parade any, but I wonder whether the ccgs for the areas involved will pull the docs up and say, oy, mate, we've not approved it for this area yet so stop prescribing them.

Interesting times.

Reactions: Jeff_uk

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C thanks for that, I must have missed it. So @Spookie13 is in Leeds. I'm in Stockport and I know of somebody in Didsubry, Manchester who has got one. I will be interested to see what it says on my prescription when I pick it up on Monday and whether he puts it on repeat prescription.

Hopefully by the time it's noticed that my GP is prescribing this for me, it will be six months down the line!

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the midlands and was told by the Dn at my surgery that they would prescribe p sensors, and they had to if recommend by my consultant. After a phone call to the hospital, I was told that the libre sensors hadn't been approved by the Trust yet and weren't on there approved drugs list. Makeing it impossible to prescribe at present.
Living in hope, but certainly not a given yet.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C thanks for that, I must have missed it. So @Spookie13 is in Leeds. I'm in Stockport and I know of somebody in Didsubry, Manchester who has got one. I will be interested to see what it says on my prescription when I pick it up on Monday and whether he puts it on repeat prescription.

Hopefully by the time it's noticed that my GP is prescribing this for me, it will be six months down the line!

Brilliant, when the cgm history books are written, you guys will go down as the Northern Free Three, the first to get free sensors on the nhs!

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@petdell I would just make an appointment with your GP and let him know all about the Libre and how it's changed your life. My doctor had heard of it but never seen one so he was very interested in it. You never know, he may prescribe it for you. If not, at least it is getting knowledge out there about it.

Reactions: asa35

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No luck in south Oxfordshire. My cost benefit analysis was received as ‘interesting, but we’ve reviewed and decided we are not currently funding this for anyone’.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No luck in south Oxfordshire. My cost benefit analysis was received as ‘interesting, but we’ve reviewed and decided we are not currently funding this for anyone’.
Where are you Phil? I'm in Thame and thinking of seeing my GP to log interest.

martin14208

Type of diabetes
Type 2
just ordered mine and going to use the App on my phone rather than pay for the device. next step is to speak to my doc to get on prescription. word of warning if you don't know DVLA don't recognise for driving so make sure you do a prick test before you drive.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not sure you can use the phone Ap to activate a new sensor, I was under the impression you had to use the Libra reader to activate new sensors and then use the phone Ap

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure you can use the phone Ap to activate a new sensor, I was under the impression you had to use the Libra reader to activate new sensors and then use the phone Ap

I read on here last week maybe of someone successfully activating with the phone app......cant remember who though..

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@philwoolfall & @JaneC I'm in South Oxfordshire and have my annual appointment at OCDEM on Thursday, I'll see what the consultant has to say about it - although I guess they're pretty fed up by now having to repeat themselves everytime someone asks about it! Expecting a big fat 'NO'

Although I think my blood results may prove to be a 'case in point' - last years hba1c was very good (for me) and I was using sensors pretty constantly, I haven't used a sensor for quite some time - I may have used 3 in the last year* - I can only see my hba1c result being higher, how much higher I'll find out on Thursday...........

*got fed up of having sensor sized 'hot iron' branding on my arms, or trying various concoctions to stop the reactions :bigtears: