Type 1 Burning vagina with high glucose

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my doctors have said the red and burning in my vagina is through high glucose coming out in my urine ???? Has anyone else felt this and also I have had type 1 diabetes for 36 years and never felt this before ???
All tests for infection and fungal came back negative??!! It’s driving me mad

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hi my doctors have said the red and burning in my vagina is through high glucose coming out in my urine ???? Has anyone else felt this and also I have had type 1 diabetes for 36 years and never felt this before ???

I was constantly asked if I had any burning when going to the toilet whilst in hospital after being diagnosed T1, after looking I read this:

High blood sugar levels can create a fertile breeding grounds for bacteria and lead to urinary tract infections. These infections can cause frequent urination, pain or burning with urination, and urine that is reddish or cloudy.

Reactions: Liftupjoe

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
D

Deleted Account

When we have high BG, our bodies try their darndest to get rid of it. It comes out all over the place - tear ducts (my tears were sweet when I was first diagnosed), saliva (some times dentists can diagnose diabetes), urine, etc.
And this sugar changes the pH in whatever it comes out in which with urine can cause thrush.
It should ease when your BG goes down but you can get thrush treatment over the counter in pharmacists.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yep. When I was 5-6yr old onwards. Nasty and my gp in 1970s just turned me away, again and again.
Was tried on canagliflozin type2 med recently, it all came flooding back after 2yrs of thrush in my last pregnancy and thereafter.
You have my sympathy but it does go away. I used 6mths of gp's prescribed pessaries. Relief came.
Hot and itchy and then stinging and drawn blood from scratching. So so uncomfortable and distracting. Worse in warm bed.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we have high BG, our bodies try their darndest to get rid of it. It comes out all over the place - tear ducts (my tears were sweet when I was first diagnosed), saliva (some times dentists can diagnose diabetes), urine, etc.
And this sugar changes the pH in whatever it comes out in which with urine can cause thrush.
It should ease when your BG goes down but you can get thrush treatment over the counter in pharmacists.
Apparently, one of the early names for diabetes translated as “ sweet urine” Ive always wondered how they knew it tasted sweet!

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
You may want to look up Vulvodynia. I had a burning in my Vagina around 2 years ago. It lasted on and off for around 2 years. People can have Vulvodynia without diabetes, but apparently, it can be quite common for people to have this with diabetes. I am now wondering if this affected me when my sugar was high without me knowing that I may have had a sugar problem as it was intermittent. It was like a constant burning. I went to the doctors and there was no sign of infection at all. They did not know what was causing it. I felt very uncomfortable. Then I looked it up and "Vulvodynia" came up..It had the exact same symptoms as what I was experiencing. Nothing shows up when being examined. They now though seem to think that it is a nerve thing "Neuropathy" Don't use scented shower gels,use something like Pears shower gel. A tip for you hope this helps...Put a little Olive oil on your finger and place it around the vulva. I found this very helpful. It will probably go away,but when is the question.

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You may want to look up Vulvodynia. I had a burning in my Vagina around 2 years ago. It lasted on and off for around 2 years. People can have Vulvodynia without diabetes, but apparently, it can be quite common for people to have this with diabetes. I am now wondering if this affected me when my sugar was high without me knowing that I may have had a sugar problem as it was intermittent. It was like a constant burning. I went to the doctors and there was no sign of infection at all. They did not know what was causing it. I felt very uncomfortable. Then I looked it up and "Vulvodynia" came up..It had the exact same symptoms as what I was experiencing. Nothing shows up when being examined. They now though seem to think that it is a nerve thing "Neuropathy" Don't use scented shower gels,use something like Pears shower gel. A tip for you hope this helps...Put a little Olive oil on your finger and place it around the vulva. I found this very helpful. It will probably go away,but when is the question.

Definitely sounds exactly like what I’m going through and have just been diagnosed with neuropathy in my legs , I did read about the bladder suffering from neuropathy, thank you will look up Vulvodynia thank you x will contact my doctor again next week

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2 and for a few years before being diagnose, that was me.
My gp used to treat me for thrush and I also used to get alot of oral thrush

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently, one of the early names for diabetes translated as “ sweet urine” Ive always wondered how they knew it tasted sweet!
Boo - in the middle ages physicians used to employ assistants to taste urine. They had charts of colour and taste to diagnose illness!

I know when I'm lapsing in my BS control just from getting thrush. I've had it since I was 10, which makes me think I've been having problems with sugar in my blood for a very long time before I was diagnosed type 2.

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Definitely sounds exactly like what I’m going through and have just been diagnosed with neuropathy in my legs , I did read about the bladder suffering from neuropathy, thank you will look up Vulvodynia thank you x will contact my doctor again next week

My burning is inside not on out side though ??

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, have a word with your doctor. It seems this condition is like fibromyalgia an unknown condition, but it exists. Don't forget the Olive Oil it helped me

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, as a child I suffered with a problem with thrush or similar to yours. It was prompted by stress and high bgs. Always in wintertime mainly. House was cold but hot in bed covers and cold awaiting for the bath to fill up. Very distressing for a young child and cream from GP was similar to sudocream. Not thrush treatment so it went on and on for nights in a row.
I had an upsetting childhood which manifested itself into thrush and alopecia.

scotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 for 38 years with no problems until I encountered a new consultant. She said I had too many hypos (I could cope with them and previous consultants were quite content with my results) and insisted I should reduce my insulin saying "Be kind to yourself. You won't get complications after all these years." and "If your sugars go too high, just relax, they will sort themselves out". Utter tosh but I lost all confidence in my own judgement and thought I should follow her advice - resulting in a period of high blood sugars and then what I thought was cystitis on holiday. It was bad. When I got home I tried antibiotics from the GP and the test results were negative. This was 6 months ago during which time I got extremely frustrated and upset by my GPs lack of help and her putting me on antidepressants saying my "mood" was causing my symptoms rather than the other way round and trying to increase the strength of the pills. I reduced them to a minimal dose and still take Tramadol and sleeping pills at night but have become convinced that this Vulvodynia is a direct result of that episode of high blood sugars. I am now trying to keep my blood sugars lower, as they were before this happened and can only hope that I can eventually get back to "normal" as the last 6 months has been a truly hellish time during which I have been nowhere except the GPs, the supermarket and recently the hospital gynaecology department. It took the GP 4 months to refer me to the gynae dept. I tried every cream there was and had allergic reactions to all except Yes vaginal moisturiser which is water based and organic. It is available on the NHS and comes as an externally applied gel and little prefilled applicators for internal use - which may help Liftupjoe.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I got diagnosed I suffered UTI ( not just a lady's problem) and the burning was very painful at times, anyway I read somewhere that a morning drink of Lemon Juice helps, changes the ph of your urine. I always have a glass of PLJ ( pure lemon juice) every day and it really does help. If you dont want to buy PLJ just squeeze a lemon in glass of water, works the same

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried Bepanthen nappy cream on your sore bits? I had some in as I was having some extensive tattooing, and I found it really helped some soreness I had in that area that I thought was cystitis but having read this thread I suspect was this vulvodynia. Anyway, it’s designed for baby bums, so certainly won’t hurt our bits. Very soothing!

scotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried Bepanthen nappy cream on your sore bits? I had some in as I was having some extensive tattooing, and I found it really helped some soreness I had in that area that I thought was cystitis but having read this thread I suspect was this vulvodynia. Anyway, it’s designed for baby bums, so certainly won’t hurt our bits. Very soothing!
Be careful what you put on your "sore bits"! I'm allergic to the contents of many creams and found they were like rubbing Fiery Jack! Pure hell. The only soothing thing I've found is Yes vaginal moisturiser which is water based and organic.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I never suffered thrush..The doc could see no thrush or any infection. Vulvodynia is invisible cannot be seen. I know that when I was diagnosed with high sugars just under a year ago my Vulvodynia had been absent for over a year, maybe 2 years could be more,so nothing to do with my high sugars. Vulvodynia can go as quickly as it came. Doctors really do not know what causes it. Its bloody miserable when you have it though

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My burning is inside not on out side though ??
Yes Vulvodynia is inside the vagina..Did you try the Olive Oil? That is the only thing that helped me. Sudacrem stung and other products.