Trying out Newcastle diet.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chook, I will be going to lidl tomorrow and see if I can get some of these rolls, if I do I will freeze them for Christmas and have a bacon roll with plenty of butter, yummy treat, have looked online and the numbers look good, low carb as well yah.
I was out yesterday and went into Saintsbury's to look what they have, have you tried the hilo bread they have?, 5g of carb per slice, admitted small slices but maybe another option, I may buy one for end of my nd to try!!!!

Low carb Christmas cake sounds wow, and the cheese cake sounds even better, fresh cream truffles sounds amazing, certainly makes up for you first low carb Christmas, this will be my first lchf Christmas, could you let me have the recipe for them when you have time, Christmas may not be so bad with some cheese cake etc......

Had my flu jab Monday, have now got a sore throat, hope this doesn't change my goal, no meds lol.

Some people can put their T2 into remission from what I have read from the BSD diet and also the ND, it would be great if you achieved that, obviously it means lots of hardwork maintaining progress and a lot of low carb Christmas's (lol) but I'm sure it will be worth while for the long term gains.
My goal at this moment is to stay off my meds by end of ND, with a view to putting T2 behind me in the long term, weather I achieve this, only time will tell, have worked all my life from 15 and would like to have a nice long retirement with as few as possible complications,....meds rest of my life, hope not, thanks for the info, this is a good community with everyone pulling in same direction, lots of info. Will keep updating every week. Regards.

Reactions: lindijanice

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all, end of week 3 yesterday and must say not a bad week, and my body adapting to the 800 cal diet, some spikes after the shakes but think that's to do with the sugar in the shake, no difference between flavor's (chocolate, strawberry, raspberry or the vanilla) it did say something about that somewhere. Veg is veg, well not so, all veg grown above ground is the way to go.

Just making up the shakes with water so that leaves the shake with approximately 117 total cals, so I'm allowing for extra veg to make up the difference, is this correct? Any input welcome!!!

Day 15 bg 4.9
Day 16 bg 5.3
Day 17 bg 4.9
Day 18 bg 5.3
Day 19 bg 5.1
Day 20 bg 4.7
Day 21 bg 4.4

Weight at end of week 3 with the new scales lol is 66.1 KGS, moving in right direction.

Have a full blown cold and hope this does not put the mockers on my progress!!!!.......went to lidl Saturday and found the lo carb/hi protein rolls on offer, 4 for a quid,bargain..... In my freezer for after this nd, thanks to Chook for the info.

Thank for looking. Regards

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @endgame

Well done for sticking with it. :). I am 100% sure I couldn't have done it with the shakes - I think the monotony of just drinking the calories would get to me.

I think other people that have used water with their shakes instead of milk (to reduce the carbs) have just made up the calories with more above ground veg.

Don't be surprised if your BG s go up while you've got a cold - it is perfect normal.

Yes, I've been taking advantage of the Lidl protein roll special offer as there are two of us in this house eating them. I think I've got enough of them in my freezer to last us until after Christmas.

Reactions: maglil55

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Chook, agree that it is pretty boring having a liquid breakfast and lunch but it does help me with the calorie count, I always look forward to my evening meal because I've learnt that it does not have to be boiled veg every night. Thanks for backing up my extra veg due to using water to mix my shake, seems to be going fine and my bgs are looking good, also noticed my vision seems to be changing, will get my eyes checked after I have established my new routine after I have finished the nd.

Yep understand my bg could raise because I've got a cold, had a look at a few threads that talk about illnesses and effects on bg, I will not fret to much if that happens.

Ah the rolls from lidl, what a find for that extra special breakfast, thanks for the info, saves the soul lol.
Don't forget if you have time, could you send them Christmas recipe so I can try them out or the link to said items, pm me if needed :)

Found some almond butter in Lidl yesterday which I bought hopefully to use after nd for baking etc, such a difference in price to h&b, also had a look around Iceland for the first time and found that they had a lot of food very suitable for the next phase of my quest to be med free after end of nd, will definitely be going there in the future.........seem to be looking around a lot of food shops/supermarkets just lately and not even Christmas yet!!!!!!!!!!
Regards.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
Well another week complete, week 4 was ok and I`m doing fine with no problems, went out to tesco and purchased the rest of my shakes to take me to the end of the 8 weeks on the nd, getting through a bit of veg and salad and usually walk to the supermarket to help with exercise.

Day 22 bg 4.4
Day 23 bg 4.4
Day 24 bg 4.2
Day 25 bg 4.7
Day 26 bg 4.7
Day 27 bg 4.9
Day 28 bg 4.4

Weight at end of week 4 is 65.2 so still on track. Another hole in my belt lol.:)
Got rid of my cold so that's good, looking into low carb recipes for the future when finished this diet.
Still having minimum of 2 litres of fluid every day and find that it does help.
Regards

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to be making great progress so far @endgame, well done to you for staying the course thus far. You must be really pleased with your BG numbers now in the 4s after all your effort.

Great work :)

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to be making great progress so far @endgame, well done to you for staying the course thus far. You must be really pleased with your BG numbers now in the 4s after all your effort.

Great work :)

Thanks for the encouragement Salvia, its the community on this site and there quest for better life style that helps everyone including me.
4s are good, I have never been in that bracket before since diagnosis and all without medication, that's a lot of pills not swallowed :) ,
My aim as I have said before is to try and stay med free, thanks again. Regards

Reactions: Salvia

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went to the doc last friday but cause glucose was high, average about 14mmols was already taking 3xmetformin 500 but she doubled it to 3 x 1000. So decided to reduce calories to about 1000 a day now 6 days on fasting BG down from 13ish mmols to 8mmols and have lost nearly half a stone. Oh and I haven't bothered with the extra meds.

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to the doc last friday but cause glucose was high, average about 14mmols was already taking 3xmetformin 500 but she doubled it to 3 x 1000. So decided to reduce calories to about 1000 a day now 6 days on fasting BG down from 13ish mmols to 8mmols and have lost nearly half a stone. Oh and I haven't bothered with the extra meds.

Hi Bruciebonus
Would like to say well done to you, I know what it feels like when you dn says more meds, and that is when I decided to make the effort to do something about it, if you continued on 1000 cals a day I'm sure you will be very pleased and happy as your numbers carry on going down, weight loss and diet is the way forward, I'm on my 5 week and feel a lot better even if I now have to look at my wardrobe :) , defo need a new belt and jeans, ( Xmas pressie!!!).

I don't know if you have a goal looking forward, but for me its hopefully staying off the metformin, keep up the good work and watch the numbers come down. Regards

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, week 5 now finished, first day today of week 6, bit warmer today as I'm feeling the cold just lately, says that you must rap up warm when doing the nd, so extra clothing on until end of my nd, lol. Been checking out a few web sites that do low carb recipes as well as diet doctor, its amazing when you look at what is available, when out shopping I'm looking at all the labels now ready for coming to end of nd. Don't want to get caught out with no game plan!!! especially day 1 of lchf change over :) . Anyone know if Lidl low GI rolls any good? Seen them today.

I have been gathering my ingredients for Christmas treats, all low carb, can't make them yet don't want temptation put in my way lol.

Day 29 bg 4.3
Day 30 bg 4.4
Day 31 bg 4.5
Day 32 bg 4.9
Day 33 bg 4.5
Day 34 bg 5.4!
Day 35 bg 4.4

Weight now 64.3 KGS, still getting towards my goal, buy myself a new belt..........

Fluid levels still going at + 2 litres or more, I'm still happy with the shakes especially chocolate at breakfast with a stick of celery, not tried dipping in the celery lol.
Just going to put my veg on table to enjoy with my evening shake of smooth vanilla....
Regards

Reactions: Goonergal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know if Lidl low GI rolls any good? Seen them today.

They are high carb I'm afraid. 45g per 100g.
The Lidl high protein rolls are the best - 9.8g per 100g, and each roll is about 100g.

Congratulations on your results. They are amazing. Well done for the forward planning. :)

Reactions: Freema

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are high carb I'm afraid. 45g per 100g.
The Lidl high protein rolls are the best - 9.8g per 100g, and each roll is about 100g.

Congratulations on your results. They are amazing. Well done for the forward planning. :)

Thanks for the encouragement and the info on the rolls much appreciated. I have some protein rolls from Lidl in the freezer so I can have half a one when I start on the lchf way of living!!! First time I've seen the so called low GI rolls in my local Lidl, so thought I would just ask the question as this site encourages questions. Regards

Reactions: pcs63

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all, end of week 6, start of week 7 yipee not long to go now and really looking forward to eggs and bacon in buttttterrr!!!!!!!!!! With of course tomatoes and mushrooms..... Will be able to even have breakfast with my lad at wetherspoons, told him he can have my toast, anyway enough of dreaming lol. Doing fine but wife says starting to get a little thin so must look into this, mind you I had a 28" waist size up to my mid forty's and 9 stone wet through, then I let myself go and put on a lot of weight and my waist size increased to 36" wow!!!!!

New me.. now looking to fit into a 30" jean and of course a new belt too, problem of course will come with controlling my weight after finish of the nd, will keep my eye on my new jeans and try to ensure a snug fit, if they get tight I will know I must make an effort to control my carbs more on the lchf, only time will tell, and the nd is finished before Christmas so control will have to be a priority lol :)

Day 36 bg 4.8
Day 37 bg 4.9
Day 38 bg 4.8
Day 39 bg 4.7
Day 40 the5.0!
Day 41 bg 4.1
Day 42 bg 4.9

Weight now 63.0kgs so still dropping, just about there now. Fluid intake still 2 to 3 litres a day,which does include tea coffee and water from the tap, must be doing my teeth good, maybe!!! May introduce some solid food but keep it to the required 200 cals and cut out a shake, like lunch, can't get rid of the breakfast shake because its chocolate and does taste nice even made with water :) this way should help with the transition to real food at end of the nd.............
Regards.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great determination @endgame; the rundown to the winning post will be a doddle after the past 6 weeks - all kudos to you for staying the course (and I'm so jealous of your 30" waist :meh: ) :D

Last edited:

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, end of week 7 Sunday and now week 8 from Monday, well this week will see me introduced more real food but more about that after week 7 update, had a good week with the introduction of some real food but keeping to the 800 cals of the nd, like it or not still needed to have some Shake's to help out and easy to use, or is the word convenience!!!!!! So I had amongst other than shakes mince, salmon, chicken, eggs and cheese, not all on same day :) the reason for this was my weight was still going down and I felt that I had achieved my target of 63kg. Other reason was to allow my internals to start to get use to solid food again over the last 2 weeks, changing diet does things to the digestive system and I don't want to have to use meds to help out or though I have used pysllium husk before now.....

Day 43 bg 5.0
Day 44 bg 5.3
Day 45 bg 4.2
Day 46 bg 4.4
Day 47 bg 4.3
Day 48 bg 3.9
Day 49 bg 4.3

Weight now 63 KGS so same as last week, some real food seems to have arrested the weight loss but also tells me I will need to be careful with my next deit the lchf, also have been out and bought some 30" waist jeans so they will get tight if I loose my grip on the lchf diet lol.

Question, I have to go for my blood test during this month, any time I choose, would it benefit me more for good results if I went late December due to me finishing the nd Sunday this week, seeing the test looks back over the last 8 to 12 weeks according to what members have said on the forums, also should I miss breakfast out on the morning I have the test or does this matter?

Fluid intake still 2 to 3 litres a day, but will modify on week 8.

OK back to week 8, will not calorie count this week but watch portion size but add more real food, try to stick to low carb and high fat when substituting for my shake, any help appreciated, going to have a look at diet doctor, and have also looked into and like the ditch the carb web site, will try a couple of the recipes that look really great.
Regards to all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A big clap from me ..... you are doing brilliantly, as those FBG levels show. I applaud you. :)

As for your blood tests, I won't advise you when to have them but will say that if they include cholesterol you do need to fast (water only) overnight with a morning test. The HbA1c doesn't require fasting, but as cholesterol will be measured at the same time, you will need to fast. (Your surgery will probably say it isn't necessary as this is the line the NHS is taking, but that isn't wise. It is only to save waiting times for blood tests because they can use the afternoons as well as the mornings)