GP ... forgot I am diabetic..

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does make us think more about Gp's in general and the confidence in some of them nowadays. They are busy, yes and the population increasing in age, yes, but really, it beggars belief sometimes :wideyed: Just to add about Gp's, on a yearly visit to the surgery DSN,( to cut a long story short) she said:-
I see you are type 2,
No I'm not, I think you have the wrong patient on your screen
Oh no is it you, after checking my name and DOB...............
My new Gp had changed my diagnosis to Late onset Type 2 :wideyed: I am type 1 and this is my 28th year. The DSN went on to say my new GP was well informed on diabetes and it's only children and adolescents who get type 1:banghead::bigtears:(I was 31 when diagnosed) my jaw dropped to the floor and then I told her she was wrong because there was no 'late onset type 2' worrying, yes. Apparently I have another new GP now as Dr P has left and my hospital told me to take no notice of what he said !
Oh Lordy Lord. It makes me despair.

D

Diabeticliberty

GP's are of course very busy but we are all very busy. It is the unfortunate way of the modern world. Another unfortunate aspect of the modern world is that if I went to my job today and conducted my work with the same level of what I can only describe as negligence then this time tomorrow I would be out on my proverbial ear

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
the same level of what I can only describe as negligence

I have seen a GP who didn't know I was diabetic and he'd only changed my medication a few months before. I was initially surprised and slightly annoyed, but said nothing, went away and looked at the facts. Mainly I was just one of a thousand faces that he would see and that my share of his time is supposed to be 10 minutes. If you think that anyone can read the important bits of your notes, on a screen or on paper (filed in the depths of the building) then you're bound to be surprised. It's just not reasonably possible. In an ideal world, when Mr Hunt abandons the NHS and has us all on private Health Insurance till the day we die, then you might get what you seem to expect.

I'm sorry to be an old misery guts but I really do think that people should try putting themselves in other peoples shoes. If your doctor is truly negligent, report them. Not having time to read your notes properly is another matter all together and in no way would I define that as being negligent. It's no good comparing their job with anybody else because they are going to be worlds apart. I strongly recommend joining your surgery's Patient Participation Group, at least you can voice your opinions. If you do, there's no need to be aggressive, a simple "I'm not happy" will suffice.

I have always felt that my health is a joint effort between me and my GP.

I blame Maggie Thatcher anyway.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51
D

Diabeticliberty

I have seen a GP who didn't know I was diabetic and he'd only changed my medication a few months before. I was initially surprised and slightly annoyed, but said nothing, went away and looked at the facts. Mainly I was just one of a thousand faces that he would see and that my share of his time is supposed to be 10 minutes. If you think that anyone can read the important bits of your notes, on a screen or on paper (filed in the depths of the building) then you're bound to be surprised. It's just not reasonably possible. In an ideal world, when Mr Hunt abandons the NHS and has us all on private Health Insurance till the day we die, then you might get what you seem to expect.

I'm sorry to be an old misery guts but I really do think that people should try putting themselves in other peoples shoes. If your doctor is truly negligent, report them. Not having time to read your notes properly is another matter all together and in no way would I define that as being negligent. It's no good comparing their job with anybody else because they are going to be worlds apart. I strongly recommend joining your surgery's Patient Participation Group, at least you can voice your opinions. If you do, there's no need to be aggressive, a simple "I'm not happy" will suffice.

In my own case and this is really all I can make reference to there was a word stamped across the buff coloured expanding wallet in which my notes were kept. In letters 50mm high and bright red text it said TYPE 1 DIABETIC. I am now at a different practice and they are if course computerised. Looking at my medication list which shows frequent prescriptions for 1ml insulin syringes and insulin surely it does not take Alexander Fleming to establish that I am diabetic. Surely this is why the NHS keeps extensive patient records.

Reactions: Crystalwand

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

BUT say for example someone drives a tram/lorry/train and gets distracted/doesn't concentrate/is too busy doing something else and kills/injures people then they can be sued for negligence.

TBH I've always felt that people need to be more pro-active with their health care........ well I did until I was diagnosed T2 and at that point I wanted someone to just tell me what to do. Luckily for me I didn't have anyone immediately and so I found a non NHS way. But it was hard to see it like that at the time and I still get very angry when I read about how some of us on this forum are treated by their HCP's. I was and am very lucky.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
BUT say for example someone drives a tram/lorry/train and gets distracted/doesn't concentrate/is too busy doing something else and kills/injures people then they can be sued for negligence.

GP vs a driver of a train/lorry/train, you're comparing apples and oranges. If an action by a GP causes death then they face serious consequences the same as a driver of any vehicle. Reading your notes thoroughly just isn't the same.

TBH I've always felt that people need to be more pro-active with their health care........

Absolutely 100% right, couldn't agree more.

I still get very angry when I read about how some of us on this forum are treated by their HCP's.

I hear frequent tales of woe, some justifiable. I've said this before but just in case.

IF YOU HAVE A GRIEVANCE WITH YOUR SURGERY, NURSE, or GP, TELL THEM.

Absolutely no good coming to a forum and having your say although I realise it helps, it just doesn't convey your feelings to your GP. One other thing, join your surgery's Patient Participation Group, it will give you an amazing insight into how they work, it certainly opened my eyes and probably I'm not so down on GPs. Maybe also because two of my closest friends have DILs who are newly qualified GPs and my wife has a friend from college days who is now a retired GP. They're not aliens, they're quite human and approachable, try talking to your own GP, it will work wonders.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Why is the reply petulant??????
All GP surgeries have an inbuilt programme that alerts the GP to any contraindications to the medication you are on.
You went for one condition the normal rules for a consult are one problem one apt. They have ten mins before they need to see the next patient.
If it's any consolation in 53 years no Dr has ever asked my how I am managing with my diabetes.
You have mentioned you are newly diagnosed so suspect you feel the need to hit out at everyone, it's not nice for people on the receiving end of your ill humour esp for people who are trying obviously without success to reassure you :(
I certainly do not hit out ar everyone lol you presume to know rather too much about my visit to my GP ... comments like yours are not helpful nor necessary. There are ‘no rules ‘ about appointments at my surgery many people have multiple problems- I’m not sure where you get that information from . Please don’t comment on my post anymore TIA

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to my GP, for antibiotics, for a chest infection, no big deal I hear you say, paper records in front of him, two big stickers on the top one diabetic the other allergic to penicillin, then he asked me why was I as other antibiotics were expensive, he was quite nasty, all I said was well let's try the penicillin and see what happens, not a happy GP, I have changed GPS now

Reactions: Debzz_

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I went to my GP, for antibiotics, for a chest infection, no big deal I hear you say, paper records in front of him, two big stickers on the top one diabetic the other allergic to penicillin, then he asked me why was I as other antibiotics were expensive, he was quite nasty, all I said was well let's try the penicillin and see what happens, not a happy GP, I have changed GPS now
That’s atrocious!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once upon a time many years ago.........
Sorry it's not really a fairytale.
When I was about 4 yrs old, not yet diabetic but definitely allergic to penicillin I was taken ill.
Can't actually confirm what was wrong with me but I was admitted to hospital.
On being admitted to hospital was put on antibiotics. Over the course of the next few days my condition deteriorated much to the frustration of my parents and hospital staff. It was at the time becoming very serious.
Fortunately my mother was by the bedside when a nurse came into the room to give me my medication ( I had been put into my own room by now ) . On administering the medication my mother asked the nurse what the medication was as I was allergic to penicillin. Apparently the sh* t hit fan . All hell broke loose. Strangely enough within a few days I'd made a full recovery.
How this happened I've never really found out. Rumour is the GP thought my mother had informed the hospital of my allergy and my mother thought the GP had informed them.
We all have close calls I guess. If I'm able, I always give medical people my conditions. If I'm unable I have medical tattoos, medical I D tag and cards in wallet.
Past experience has taught me you can't rely on anyone else 100%. As humans we are fallible.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
June 64 me, have to ask do you get two lots of presents and two cakes lol
NO..... Christmas Eve I get told " you can have your birthday present tomorrow "
Christmas Day I get told " you had all your presents yesterday ". :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Only good thing about birthday on Christmas Eve , they'll always be a party somewhere, it may not be my party, but after a few drinks no one really seems to care.:)

Fearless36

First and foremost, when a GP makes an error like this, you SHOULD COMPLAIN. The fact that you reminded him is one thing, but if you hadn't I'd dread to think what the consequences could have been.... and others may not be as vocal as you. There is no excuse for this whatsoever. I have told several GPs off in the past and mentioned that had I not mentioned it, the medication prescribed could have been fatal and they are often apologetic and take it on board.

jowatkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 3 long-term illnesses and I never rely on my GP to remember I have these problems. For one, I never see the same GP when I go to the surgery so to them I am a new patient. Yes, they should read your notes before you go in to see them, but they look so overworked and each day they have so many patients to see, I can see why something would get overlooked.

We all have to be responsible for knowing as much as possible for our own condition and have to ask basic questions at times. The worry is for patients who are not able to do this for whatever reason. Maybe we should all carry cards with details of illnesses, medication etc as a quick reminder for the GP.

wordangel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Visiting my gp last week for being unwell .. explained what was wrong so he started printing off a prescription. I asked if the proposed meds would be ok with my diabetic medication to which he gave me a blank stare . I don’t expect him to remember but I do expect him or any other GP to look at my flipping notes !