Losing weight

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in March with T2 and I decided to control my BG with diet and exercise, so I started the Keto plan. I am almost 70 and I lost about 33 lbs since June. I lost it too quickly and am feeling a bit wobbly and off balance. I even lost my balance a month ago and fell and hit my head on the pavement. I now have a grade 3 concussion/brain bleed/seizures and have to be very careful for the next six months. I know I need to stop losing weight and maintain it or even add a couple of pounds and get my muscle tone and balance back. However, I also want to keep my A1C down so I don't have to go on Metformin. How can I do that? I can walk the dog and use my exercise bike without raising my heart rate above 120. I am eating more healthy fat to see if that helps. Does anyone have any advice or know someone who does? And, for older folks, please be careful with losing weight too quickly. We don't heal as well as we used to. I appreciate any tips you can give me. Have a great evening.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My only advice would be to redouble your effort to increase your healthy fats. Whether you chose animal fats like fattier cuts of meat, cheese, butter and cream or olive oil, avocado etc it will stall your weight loss and you may see a gain in time.
As to excercise, I can't do it but I hear dog walking alone is beneficial and that aerobic excercise is not necessarily needed in terms of bg control though many members do it for fun.

I hope you return to full health very soon, take it steady.

Reactions: Grateful

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ongoing sensations of dizziness and being off balance are not usually associated with weightloss.
Low carb eating is normally a very healthy way to lose weight, although HCPs like to demonize it - if you have had those symptoms for some time now, then I'd suggest that you go back to your doctor to request that it be investigated rather than put down to weightloss.
Not wanting to minimize your success but losing 33lb since June is 2 to 3 lb a week - which is not fast, though if you are not overweight it could be concerning, but not for the reasons you suggest.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in March with T2 and I decided to control my BG with diet and exercise, so I started the Keto plan. I am almost 70 and I lost about 33 lbs since June. I lost it too quickly and am feeling a bit wobbly and off balance. I even lost my balance a month ago and fell and hit my head on the pavement. I now have a grade 3 concussion/brain bleed/seizures and have to be very careful for the next six months. I know I need to stop losing weight and maintain it or even add a couple of pounds and get my muscle tone and balance back. However, I also want to keep my A1C down so I don't have to go on Metformin. How can I do that? I can walk the dog and use my exercise bike without raising my heart rate above 120. I am eating more healthy fat to see if that helps. Does anyone have any advice or know someone who does? And, for older folks, please be careful with losing weight too quickly. We don't heal as well as we used to. I appreciate any tips you can give me. Have a great evening.

To help with balance and core strength Tai Chi or Chi Gong classes are good. Edited to say that I go to Chi Gong classes and they are wonderful.

Reactions: GemmieG

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you supplementing with salt? you may be a bit low as keto is known to flush out salt. Just a thought.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To help with balance and core strength Tai Chi or Chi Gong classes are good. Edited to say that I go to Chi Gong classes and they are wonderful.[/QUO
Ongoing sensations of dizziness and being off balance are not usually associated with weightloss.
Low carb eating is normally a very healthy way to lose weight, although HCPs like to demonize it - if you have had those symptoms for some time now, then I'd suggest that you go back to your doctor to request that it be investigated rather than put down to weightloss.
Not wanting to minimize your success but losing 33lb since June is 2 to 3 lb a week - which is not fast, though if you are not overweight it could be concerning, but not for the reasons you suggest.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't get dizzy, just kind of wobbly/weak. I should say about 25 of that 33 lbs came off pretty quickly in the first couple of months. Given my age, nearly 70, that's pretty fast. I have never been able to lose weight that quickly my whole life. I have had appointments with my doctor and the neurologist and they say I'm healthy, except for the recent head injury and that will take time. I guess I have to accept the fact that I'm not as young and spry as I used to be. Slow and steady wins the race.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: GemmieG

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.
I am the same age as you, though male. What is your current BMI as a guide to where you stand compared with the general population.
I have lost 16lbs on a low carb diet since diagnosis with type 2 four months ago, bringing my BMI to 19. My wife was getting concerned re the inexorable weight loss, but it does seem to be steadying now.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't get dizzy, just kind of wobbly/weak. I should say about 25 of that 33 lbs came off pretty quickly in the first couple of months. Given my age, nearly 70, that's pretty fast. I have never been able to lose weight that quickly my whole life. I have had appointments with my doctor and the neurologist and they say I'm healthy, except for the recent head injury and that will take time. I guess I have to accept the fact that I'm not as young and spry as I used to be. Slow and steady wins the race.
Keep your protein levels up. Muscle strength or lack of it has given me wobbly legs and I'm only 46. I have lost 4st in 10mths. Some days are worse than others, for me.
Still using crutch for walking due to bulging disc which causes scatica and numb toes and foot plate. I do wish my back would just fix itself asap.

Valanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym Running
How is your blood pressure. I had been on meds for 10 years for high BP. I was diagnosed T2 in February, adopted a low carb diet and lost weight. After a faint in September my GP discovered my BP was going very low and reduced then removed my meds.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How is your blood pressure. I had been on meds for 10 years for high BP. I was diagnosed T2 in February, adopted a low carb diet and lost weight. After a faint in September my GP discovered my BP was going very low and reduced then removed my meds.
Trust me to be different, I ended up on more high blood pressure tablers and increased betablocker for palpatations. Argh!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm delighted this morning. I'm losing weight again after stabilising for 8weeks. Unsure why I stabilised instead of losing but I've been able to decrease my basal insulin as a result and hypos no more.
Metformin treatment is resumed so hoping for another 2st loss. Maybe!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why not ditch the diet and take metformin?

Unfortunately we cannot fix a bad diet with metformin. I really wish we could. I take metformin AND lchf diet. It is not a question of one or the other. However, I think metformin is a very useful.drug and continue with it, even tho my hbalc has dropped.