Non-fasting cholesterol test?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood drawing was easy, but the nurse did ask me if I had had a good breakfast. I smiled and nodded. No breakfast is a good breakfast, isnt it??? : )
Not really as they now think you didn't fast so you probably won't get the full lipid panel that you wanted.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really as they now think you didn't fast so you probably won't get the full lipid panel that you wanted.

1) I didnt tell them I didnt fast.
2) the lipid panel isnt available anyway as they dont offer fasting cholesterol tests and dont give a breakdown.

I dont know how I would get a breakdown, as I would have to go private for that.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant seem to get through to people that all these fancy tests you lot in the rest of the country seem to be able to get without asking are not available in my part of Wales. No lipid profiles, no cholesterol breakdown, no fasting cholesterol test, nothing.

I even asked about Vitamin D testing and was refused, its not offered, I have to go private if I want one, unless the GP (who I would have to try to get an appointment to see) ok's it.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cant seem to get through to people that all these fancy tests you lot in the rest of the country seem to be able to get without asking are not available in my part of Wales. No lipid profiles, no cholesterol breakdown, no fasting cholesterol test, nothing.

I even asked about Vitamin D testing and was refused, its not offered, I have to go private if I want one, unless the GP (who I would have to try to get an appointment to see) ok's it.
From one vial of blood My Hospital carry out these: test
929544e455c15b0cedd9408e99a92f1e.jpg

I was told that the difference results betwèen fasting and non fasting for cholesterol test is minimal.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From one vial of blood My Hospital carry out these: test
929544e455c15b0cedd9408e99a92f1e.jpg

I was told that the difference results betwèen fasting and non fasting for cholesterol test is minimal.
I am glad that your Hospital do this for you. Unfortunately my local GP or hospital dont : (

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
I'm back. I checked with reception. No plans to offer internet appointments or results : (

The blood drawing was easy, but the nurse did ask me if I had had a good breakfast. I smiled and nodded. No breakfast is a good breakfast, isnt it??? : )

Results in a week, but they wont be available to me, even at reception, I will have to wait until I see the DN on the 6th Dec. I am trying to count my blessings.
When I have phoned docs for blood results I am told I am not allowed to have them. I ask why and am told that doc understands them. I say that I understand them & get no response so end up having to make an appointment with doc just to get HBA1C result. Complete & utter waste of my time & docs not to mention rubbish to use up valuable NHS money. Another excuse I have had from receptionist is that she hasn't had training to read out the results----I ask you........???? ....!!!!! By the way I see DSN once a year....it's a long time to wait.......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

That is awful. I wonder what NHS Wales spends its money on? You are only in Wrexham - it's close enough to the border to use an English surgery!!!! (Joke by the way)

Here I get HbA1c, liver and kidney functions, eGFR, AKI, full blood count, cholesterol and full lipid panel as a matter of routine, currently every 6 months. Last year I asked for some additional tests - notably Vitamin D, iron, ferritin and folate. There were no arguments, I got them all as requested. Also full on-line access to everything. I had my blood letting this morning. My results will be up tomorrow morning.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I have phoned docs for blood results I am told I am not allowed to have them. I ask why and am told that doc understands them. I say that I understand them & get no response so end up having to make an appointment with doc just to get HBA1C result. Complete & utter waste of my time & docs not to mention rubbish to use up valuable NHS money. Another excuse I have had from receptionist is that she hasn't had training to read out the results----I ask you........???? ....!!!!! By the way I see DSN once a year....it's a long time to wait.......
Have you tried to register for your results online.. ? Your surgery should be able to do this.. its a great way of avoiding HCP's I have found.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I am not in England, I am in wales and no, online is not available except for prescription ordering.
Wales is still the UK when last I heard! If you can get repeat prescriptions online then you can ask for your medical notes online, it will involve a drs appointment and he will give you a password etc. Don't let the receptionist tell you otherwise.
Your surgery sounds pretty familiar!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wales is still the UK when last I heard! If you can get repeat prescriptions online then you can ask for your medical notes online, it will involve a drs appointment and he will give you a password etc. Don't let the receptionist tell you otherwise.

Not quite. It is NHS England that wants GPs to offer the on-line service. It doesn't apply to Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland. They have their own rules for all matters NHS.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sadly not, as Wales has its own rules. The receptionist is right.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I have previously tried to access info. It only works if your surgery provides the service. And I dont get to choose what they test. Its a pain, but there are no other surgeries near me, and this one is 5 miles away, with no bus service.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all surgeries comply as I have found out however, at my last review, I was given a print out of my hba1c and cholesterol b/down which is the first time that has happened as I usually have to ask and write it down.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Have you tried to register for your results online.. ? Your surgery should be able to do this.. its a great way of avoiding HCP's I have found.
I am online for just about everything else but for some reason (maybe they think I don't understand my results....) I can't get that service online & obviously need my GP to translate them for me (even though she thinks you get a hypo from eating too much sugar---I ask you)? Have had type 1 for 56 years, if I didn't understand results & what I am doing I would be in a sorry state by now....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am online for just about everything else but for some reason (maybe they think I don't understand my results....) I can't get that service online & obviously need my GP to translate them for me (even though she thinks you get a hypo from eating too much sugar---I ask you)? Have had type 1 for 56 years, if I didn't understand results & what I am doing I would be in a sorry state by now....

Do you realise that even though you get all the other services on line you have to register separately for test results? I didn't know this at first and waited ages for my results to appear behind the navigation tabs on Patient Access. When I contacted the practice manager about it I was told I needed to register separately. I did that and my results appeared.