Type 2 iThrive From the depths of Diabetes and Obesity

robin47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone seen this mini series which is running every day this week and features diabetic Jon McMahon. I've watched the first 2 eighty minute episodes and I am loving it. Can't wait for the next 7 episodes!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Would this be TV programme, Netflix series or...?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm afraid I found the trailer rather cheesy and I do not understand why they would want my name and my email address. I noticed that Dr. Fung is involved but I'm wary of giving out too much information.

Reactions: Arlmy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No bacon featured in the ad and I'm sure I saw Dr Neal Barnard's face... don't think that will be for me somehow..

trotskyite

No bacon featured in the ad and I'm sure I saw Dr Neal Barnard's face... don't think that will be for me somehow..
Just watching episode 3 where they explain all the science behind low carb diets masking the symptoms of diabetes and doing nothing about the underlying disease process which is, of course, obvious to many. This should be obvious but masking high blood sugar does nothing to decrease mortality.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
they explain all the science behind low carb diets masking the symptoms of diabetes and doing nothing about the underlying disease process which is, of course, obvious to many
Not all that obvious to me... what part of the underlying disease process has my low carb diet not resolved?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm struggling to understand the phrase'...masking the symptoms'. In what way is resolving obesity, controlling blood glucose, limiting or stalling nerve damage 'masking'?

Reactions: Arlmy

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havnt watched it so dont know where they are coming from so this is a complete guess - are they coming from the perspective that controlling symptoms of T2 isn't the same as ‘curing the underlying dysfunction in carbohydrate metabolim? -something similar to the debate about whether things like ND produce a reversal (cure) or remission (control) of the underlying metabolic dysfunction

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recognise quite a few faces in the trailer, including the vegetarian/vegan guys like Barnard and Furhrman - so it seems like the guy is going to cover all sides of the diabetes "reversal" story. I'd be suspicious if none of those guys were included - but as long as Fung, O'Bryan and others are also covered, it's fine with me.

@Guzzler - don't you have a generic email address for just these "sign up required" online events? Once they're finished, it's easy to unsubscribe and stop further emails. I've been doing this for the past 5 years or so without any issues.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I recognise quite a few faces in the trailer, including the vegetarian/vegan guys like Barnard and Furhrman - so it seems like the guy is going to cover all sides of the diabetes "reversal" story. I'd be suspicious if none of those guys were included - but as long as Fung, O'Bryan and others are also covered, it's fine with me.

@Guzzler - don't you have a generic email address for just these "sign up required" online events? Once they're finished, it's easy to unsubscribe and stop further emails. I've been doing this for the past 5 years or so without any issues.

Yes, I have an email address that I use if I feel a site might not be all it promises but in this instance I was intrigued as I have never noticed any other YouTube channel ask for one. It made me suspicious about the people (some) doing deals to take part with the possible proviso that their books/products would be pushed.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have an email address that I use if I feel a site might not be all it promises but in this instance I was intrigued as I have never noticed any other YouTube channel ask for one. It made me suspicious about the people (some) doing deals to take part with the possible proviso that their books/products would be pushed.
Youtube is just the video publication vehicle - a rarely used one at that. With free events like this, the emails are used to send you the reminders that one episode is expiring/when the new one is available for viewing (usually 24 hours).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go to the Facebook page “ Ithriveseries” then the first one at least is available without signup the first 30 minutes is a bit turgid and very “American” dramatic.. that’s as far as I have got so far.. have to go and walk the dog ...back later..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmnnnn, just finished part 1 and got my first premonition when the dangers of saturated fat were mentioned. Plus there is a preponderance of vegan docs and their PCRM cabal, so I'm getting a bad feeling about the dietary stuff. Still, will reserve judgement for the time being until we get down to the nitty gritty of diet.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Youtube is just the video publication vehicle - a rarely used one at that. With free events like this, the emails are used to send you the reminders that one episode is expiring/when the new one is available for viewing (usually 24 hours).
I see, cheers, Indy51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, I'm out - once they started on all the cholesterol and ketosis being dangerous nonsense, I decided it was time to bail :(

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, I'm out - once they started on all the cholesterol and ketosis being dangerous nonsense, I decided it was time to bail :(

Thanks for putting up with that stuff so I didn’t have to.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that in episode 2? I picked up on lots of bad things in the first part and don't want to waste the afternoon on part 2 if they are going down that route. Also noticed that the piece featuring Dr Fung was very heavily edited jumping about all over the place..