What are some easy techniques to control BG level?

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try to cut down the roti. You are taking so much carb. In each meal you can take 2 roti + 1 egg + 300 gm green salad + 150 grm green Veg.

Try to maintain the similar food habit in each day. In dinner you can include 150 gm chicken . Your bg will not fluctuate.
Since from 2 year i m managing my diabetic with very very low insulin with good hb1c. You learn more about diet.
Sir, I live in hostel as I am undergraduate student.
So my hostel provides roti, pulse, veggies dish,rice.
What proportion of this I could consume.

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I won't comment on your food intake as many other people have commented on this already. But One thing that is very important is physical activity. For me it seems so much easier when I'm active. Because I've been living with Type 1 for so long - I've been fortunate enough to know a lot of people with diabetes over the years - based on my experience those people who had regular daily activities such as long distance walking, cycling, climbing - exercise good for ones cardio vascular system - seemed to have a much easier time with their condition than those who had a more sedentary life style.
My three favorite activities are long distance cycling, 5 km speed walks and wilderness canoe trips. So if you haven't already - try getting in to the habit of doing regular weekly physical activities that would benefit your cardio vascular system.
I am a computer engineering student.
So after the exercise in the morning I am all day on my laptop.
Would you recommend any exercise that I can do while taking short brakes from my work?

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am from India,hence I eat roti(kind of bread)My doctor told me to take 11 unit of insulin per meal as I eat 5 roti with veggies.
My insulin dose are fixed .
11 unit per breakfast, lunch and dinner
And 15 unit of insulin when I go to sleep at night as it control my BG level when I am sleeping.
That is quite a lot of roti with each meal (I don't blame you, though - I was in Ahmedabad earlier this year and my friend's mum would make them to go with food non-stop until I could physically consume no more!). You could have more eggs and/or paneer to offset if budgets allow?

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is quite a lot of roti with each meal (I don't blame you, though - I was in Ahmedabad earlier this year and my friend's mum would make them to go with food non-stop until I could physically consume no more!). You could have more eggs and/or paneer to offset if budgets allow?
I am undergraduate student ,so I live in hostel.
They only provide me roti,rice,veggie dish,pulse.
So what should be my diet?
P.S- when I was non diabetic I would eat 8 roti and 1 plate rice.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am undergraduate student ,so I live in hostel.
They only provide me roti,rice,veggie dish,pulse.
So what should be my diet?
P.S- when I was non diabetic I would eat 8 roti and 1 plate rice.
You still haven’t provided your blood glucose numbers and fluctuations. Advising you on doses without that information would be stabbing in the dark. How high or low do you go after each meal? Do certain meals at different times of day become more problematic?

Wag_wan_sexy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Exercise and diet bud... She I was first diagnosed my sugars were more fluctuated then the Scottish weather and by changing my diet and doing daily exercise(walking my dogs) my blood sugars started to regulate and sit at a normal level. Good luck.
P.s carb counting is a massive help to!

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sir, I live in hostel as I am undergraduate student.
So my hostel provides roti, pulse, veggies dish,rice.
What proportion of this I could consume.

Hi brother, Managing diabetic with Hostel food will be very difficult. They only give low quality high carb food. When i was living in hostel in each vegetable they were keeping potato. I got the vision problem due to low quality food.

If it is possible then you can come out of hostel take your own room and cook the food by yourself. If you will get freedom to design your own diet by yourself.

Since from 2 year i have not taken any food from outside hotel. In hotel food we cannot predict the carb quantity. If i will go outside then i will keep enough green salad + Gauva + apple .

In your current scenario, you can take 2 roti + Pulse(can take more pulse, there will less carb) + Green veg (but there should not be potato, carrot, beetroot. It will spike your bg very quickly)

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Aerobic (Walking, Cycling etc) is the best exercise for lowering the blood sugar. You can walk any time like morning,evening and lunch break.

Let me know if you need any more help, i also live in India.

Last edited:

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might want to consider a more modern insulin than Actrapid, such as NovoRapid, Apidra or Humalog. Actrapid is regular insulin, which has a slow onset and isn't suited for many foods. However, it can be useful on its own or in combination with rapid acting insulins for slow digesting meals and protein.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi again. As another poster has said, when you are on MDI it is best to carb-count i.e. vary the quantity of mealtime fast insulin to match the carbs in your meal. I think you need to understand how many carbs there are in your roti portion or any other carb foods and then vary the Bolus (fast) insulin to match. Many of us use a ratio of around 1 unit of insulin to every 10gm of carbs but you will need to be careful and use the meter a lot if changing the Bolus and/or the portion size in the meal to avoid a hypo. After a while you will find the ratio that works for you and controls the BS. You also need to check that your Basal (night-time) is right and there are ways to check this. Also be aware that the higher the amount of carbs you eat the higher the BS swings will be.

According to carbs and Cals a roti weighing 43g has 20g of carbs.

I don’t know if that’ll help at all but it might.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Thank you Everyone.
I really got to learn alot from all your comments.
I consume 11 unit of HUMAN ACTRAPID per meal (breakfast,lunch,dinner)
I consume 15 unit of lantus solostar before going to bed at night.
Do you guys think I should increase or decrease by dosage.
(I am diabetic since 13 months)

We can’t really tell you what dose of insulin you should take, that’s for the health professionals to advise - later on you may be able to start adjusting it for yourself.
Insulin doses are very individual. They usually depend on the amount of insulin a person needs to deal with a set quantity of carbohydrate and maintain a good blood sugar level.
Do you test your blood sugars yourself? I know that we’re lucky with the NHS and if we have T1 diabetes we can be given test strips or cassettes but I’m not sure how affordable they are elsewhere.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Would you recommend any exercise that I can do while taking short brakes from my work?
I'm a database programmer so I can relate to the sitting - one thing I do during the workday is take the stairs no elevators or lifts - this results in doing over 500 step stairs a day - If you work on the ground floor of your building that kind of rules things out for you - hopefully you don't. As well, I stand part of the time - usually in the afternoons once I start getting tired. I find little things like that help.

Reactions: Jibran_Khan

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a database programmer so I can relate to the sitting - one thing I do during the workday is take the stairs no elevators or lifts - this results in doing over 500 step stairs a day - If you work on the ground floor of your building that kind of rules things out for you - hopefully you don't. As well, I stand part of the time - usually in the afternoons once I start getting tired. I find little things like that help.
Well can you give me some advice on computer science.
I am in my 4th sem of Computer science and Engineering.
What should I learn apart from my syllabus?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi @fletchweb,
Could you please let us know since from starting how much hb1c are you maintaining ? what will be your hb1c ? are you on insulin pump ? Yearly how many time do u go for complete body check up or some there test to avoid complication ?
My HA1C usually stays around the 7.4 to 7.8 range, there's time when it has been in the 8s. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember. I'm a 4 shot per day person unless I skip meals then I take less shots. I don;t eat much, never have and yet my body weight remains constant and on target over the years. I'm not a poster child for Type 1 diabetes - based on many Type 1s I've met in the past, I apparently do everything wrong LOL - Last time I saw my doctor was three years ago, I see a ophthalmologist twice a year for quick look at my retinas but they're still good. I'm 55 years old and have maintained the same activity level as I did in my 20s. I'm in much better physical condition than most of my non diabetic friends who are my age - man o man - it sounds like I'm bragging but it's my reality. I also try to avoid stress ... processed food and probably drink too much red wine :)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well can you give me some advice on computer science.
I am in my 4th sem of Computer science and Engineering.
What should I learn apart from my syllabus?
My first few years as an IT professional I was a web developer. I learned ColdFusion, Java Script, CFML, HTML and was running databases on websites - I got bored of that and now work in the IBM DB2/Cognos environment. I hope to do that for the next 8 years and then I'll retire (do something else). I would recommend focusing on database programming and security - those two areas of IT will always remain strong. It has served me well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jibran_Khan

Jibran_Khan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My first few years as an IT professional I was a web developer. I learned ColdFusion, Java Script, CFML, HTML and was running databases on websites - I got board of that and now work in the IBM DB2/Cognos environment. I hope to do that for the next 8 years and then I'll retire (do something else). I would recommend focusing on database programming and security - those two areas of IT will always remain strong. It has served me well.
Would you recommend me any course or tutorial or any study material.