1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What are some easy techniques to control BG level?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jibran_Khan, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jibran_Khan

Jibran_Khan Type 1 · Active Member

Sir, I live in hostel as I am undergraduate student.
    So my hostel provides roti, pulse, veggies dish,rice.
    What proportion of this I could consume.

2. Jibran_Khan

I am a computer engineering student.
    So after the exercise in the morning I am all day on my laptop.
    Would you recommend any exercise that I can do while taking short brakes from my work?

3. Bertyboy

Bertyboy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That is quite a lot of roti with each meal (I don't blame you, though - I was in Ahmedabad earlier this year and my friend's mum would make them to go with food non-stop until I could physically consume no more!). You could have more eggs and/or paneer to offset if budgets allow?

4. Jibran_Khan

I am undergraduate student ,so I live in hostel.
    They only provide me roti,rice,veggie dish,pulse.
    So what should be my diet?
    P.S- when I was non diabetic I would eat 8 roti and 1 plate rice.

5. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

You still haven’t provided your blood glucose numbers and fluctuations. Advising you on doses without that information would be stabbing in the dark. How high or low do you go after each meal? Do certain meals at different times of day become more problematic?

6. Wag_wan_sexy

Wag_wan_sexy Type 1 · Member

Exercise and diet bud... She I was first diagnosed my sugars were more fluctuated then the Scottish weather and by changing my diet and doing daily exercise(walking my dogs) my blood sugars started to regulate and sit at a normal level. Good luck.
    P.s carb counting is a massive help to!

7. Chandradev819

Chandradev819 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi brother, Managing diabetic with Hostel food will be very difficult. They only give low quality high carb food. When i was living in hostel in each vegetable they were keeping potato. I got the vision problem due to low quality food.

If it is possible then you can come out of hostel take your own room and cook the food by yourself. If you will get freedom to design your own diet by yourself.

Since from 2 year i have not taken any food from outside hotel. In hotel food we cannot predict the carb quantity. If i will go outside then i will keep enough green salad + Gauva + apple .

In your current scenario, you can take 2 roti + Pulse(can take more pulse, there will less carb) + Green veg (but there should not be potato, carrot, beetroot. It will spike your bg very quickly)

8. Chandradev819

Chandradev819 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aerobic (Walking, Cycling etc) is the best exercise for lowering the blood sugar. You can walk any time like morning,evening and lunch break.

Let me know if you need any more help, i also live in India.

#28 Chandradev819, Nov 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  9. scotteric

scotteric Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You might want to consider a more modern insulin than Actrapid, such as NovoRapid, Apidra or Humalog. Actrapid is regular insulin, which has a slow onset and isn't suited for many foods. However, it can be useful on its own or in combination with rapid acting insulins for slow digesting meals and protein.

10. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

According to carbs and Cals a roti weighing 43g has 20g of carbs.

I don’t know if that’ll help at all but it might.

11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We can’t really tell you what dose of insulin you should take, that’s for the health professionals to advise - later on you may be able to start adjusting it for yourself.
    Insulin doses are very individual. They usually depend on the amount of insulin a person needs to deal with a set quantity of carbohydrate and maintain a good blood sugar level.
    Do you test your blood sugars yourself? I know that we’re lucky with the NHS and if we have T1 diabetes we can be given test strips or cassettes but I’m not sure how affordable they are elsewhere.

12. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I'm a database programmer so I can relate to the sitting - one thing I do during the workday is take the stairs no elevators or lifts - this results in doing over 500 step stairs a day - If you work on the ground floor of your building that kind of rules things out for you - hopefully you don't. As well, I stand part of the time - usually in the afternoons once I start getting tired. I find little things like that help.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jibran_Khan

Well can you give me some advice on computer science.
    I am in my 4th sem of Computer science and Engineering.
    What should I learn apart from my syllabus?

14. fletchweb

My HA1C usually stays around the 7.4 to 7.8 range, there's time when it has been in the 8s. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember. I'm a 4 shot per day person unless I skip meals then I take less shots. I don;t eat much, never have and yet my body weight remains constant and on target over the years. I'm not a poster child for Type 1 diabetes - based on many Type 1s I've met in the past, I apparently do everything wrong LOL - Last time I saw my doctor was three years ago, I see a ophthalmologist twice a year for quick look at my retinas but they're still good. I'm 55 years old and have maintained the same activity level as I did in my 20s. I'm in much better physical condition than most of my non diabetic friends who are my age - man o man - it sounds like I'm bragging but it's my reality. I also try to avoid stress ... processed food and probably drink too much red wine :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. fletchweb

My first few years as an IT professional I was a web developer. I learned ColdFusion, Java Script, CFML, HTML and was running databases on websites - I got bored of that and now work in the IBM DB2/Cognos environment. I hope to do that for the next 8 years and then I'll retire (do something else). I would recommend focusing on database programming and security - those two areas of IT will always remain strong. It has served me well.

• Like Like x 1
    #35 fletchweb, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  16. Jibran_Khan

Would you recommend me any course or tutorial or any study material.

17. fletchweb

I just finished an on-line IBM course on Cognos Analytics - it was pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook