Anyone following dr Bernstein’s low carb and using actrapid/humulin s?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Evening all, I hope you are all well and enjoying your evening so far.

Anyone following dr Bernstein’s low carb approach and using actrapid or humulin s to cover meals?

I’ve just been given the green light to try actrapid as I’m finding it hard to get good results using my novorapid with dr Bernstein’s low carb approach without splitting doses. when having the occasional treat of pizza or a sneaky takeout it’s a good solution but I’ve found for every meal to cover the fat and protein digestion a bit of a chore and miss time one shot and your shooting higher than you should be a pain in the behind. Also the extra jabs are making me a little sore as there isn’t a lot of meat on me either.

Any insight or advice would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Key_master_ . . .

I follow a Ketogenic/LCHF diet . . . If I remember correctly this is closely along the lines of the Bernstein diet, I think maybe a bit more strict with Protein.

When I switched to Humulin S (from Humalog) as my main Bolus Insulin, this made a huge difference to my day-to-day life. Previously I had been routinely falling asleep after my evening meal. For a long time I thought that I was simply at "that age" where I would start napping after eating in the evening. But after discussing with my fantastic Doctor, she suggested trying Humulin S.

The sleepiness had been a result of post-meal Lows, and the not-so-Rapid Insulin solved this problem. The action of the Humulin S seems to map closely to the action of my Ketogenic meals. I don't need to split my injections, I get no spike at all after eating, and I don't fall asleep :)

I've never liked the concept of splitting Bolus injections - if it's possible, finding an Insulin with a duration of action which more closely matches your food seems like a better solution to me.

In the last few years I have used Humulin S as my Bolus for my regular Keto meals, and Humalog for any corrections and for my scheduled binge days. I've never had any problems from any Practice getting 2 Bolus Insulins on repeat prescription.

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: Stefans

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Key_master_ . . .

I follow a Ketogenic/LCHF diet . . . If I remember correctly this is closely along the lines of the Bernstein diet, I think maybe a bit more strict with Protein.

When I switched to Humulin S (from Humalog) as my main Bolus Insulin, this made a huge difference to my day-to-day life. Previously I had been routinely falling asleep after my evening meal. For a long time I thought that I was simply at "that age" where I would start napping after eating in the evening. But after discussing with my fantastic Doctor, she suggested trying Humulin S.

The sleepiness had been a result of post-meal Lows, and the not-so-Rapid Insulin solved this problem. The action of the Humulin S seems to map closely to the action of my Ketogenic meals. I don't need to split my injections, I get no spike at all after eating, and I don't fall asleep :)

I've never liked the concept of splitting Bolus injections - if it's possible, finding an Insulin with a duration of action which more closely matches your food seems like a better solution to me.

In the last few years I have used Humulin S as my Bolus for my regular Keto meals, and Humalog for any corrections and for my scheduled binge days. I've never had any problems from any Practice getting 2 Bolus Insulins on repeat prescription.

Regards :)
Antony

Thank you so much @diamondnostril this is exactly the info I was looking for the 8 or so jabs a day are a nightmare due to splitting, then you have to time the split almost perfectly which is a pain as some protein sources digest quicker than others, I drop low due to the novorapid being too rapid also,

I’m going to be using Humulin S now instead of actrapid as I can’t get a syringe at 6mm length to deliver the actrapid out of a vial. Bd do manufacture them but you can only have them in America and Canada after speaking to their marketing team. I feel an 8mm will be too long now I’m virtually all slender muscle, 3 months on reduced carbs and I feel 100 times better.

Here’s to a brighter future to everyone on d.co.uk as you guys on here are awesome. may those flats lines be ever with you Antony. ;)

Best wishes Kieron

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much @diamondnostril this is exactly the info I was looking for the 8 or so jabs a day are a nightmare due to splitting, then you have to time the split almost perfectly which is a pain as some protein sources digest quicker than others, I drop low due to the novorapid being too rapid also,

I’m going to be using Humulin S now instead of actrapid as I can’t get a syringe at 6mm length to deliver the actrapid out of a vial. Bd do manufacture them but you can only have them in America and Canada after speaking to their marketing team. I feel an 8mm will be too long now I’m virtually all slender muscle, 3 months on reduced carbs and I feel 100 times better.

Here’s to a brighter future to everyone on d.co.uk as you guys on here are awesome. may those flats lines be ever with you Antony. ;)

Best wishes Kieron

Hi!
Hi Sorry for late reply but think question is important, I researched a lot on this and found no answers when I did it, so want to add on to @diamondnostril very good answer.

I'm also on an LCHF/Ketogenic/Bernstein type diet, I started using my normal novo rapid, I got good results but as you say I needed multiple boluses for each meal, which sometimes did not happen because of .. life.
I switched to actrapid! It works much better, a 'normal' LCHF meal have a good mapping to the curve of actrapid.
I still use NovoRapid for correction bolus, but all meal boluses are done with Actrapid.

I strongly recommend actrapid penfill and the novo pen echo, it does half doses!!!!! Very good for low carbers, and it has a memory display that tells you when your last dose was taken, good for forgetful people like me :)
I have a red for actrapid and a blue for noverapid. I have never used the wrong one by mistake....

No idea where it is available, I had to specially import the blue one from overseas since my country only have the red colour :-(

Now 3 years on low carb, except for the first HBA1C, all tests below 6.0/42, I feel like new person and will never stop with low carb!

Best wishes, Stefan!