Post Diagnosis Weight Gain?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since diagnosis, I have seen myself put on up to 20lbs in the space of only about 5-6 weeks. Now, in saying that, I guess some of that time was on the couch and not as physical as one would normally be. Still, it's a fairly substantial amount.

I would have definitely needed to put on a couple of pounds from where I was at. Is it common to put on weight while taking insulin? I guess adding in the amount of cheese to omelettes, sometimes twice daily, would also help things along with nuts and so on.

Wouldn't mind so much, only I went to try a shirt on while away at the weekend in London that I brought with me.....wouldn't close. My jeans were noticeably tighter (super skinny as they were)......went to sit down outside Liverpool Street station....BANG, split in the groin region....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since diagnosis, I have seen myself put on up to 20lbs in the space of only about 5-6 weeks. Now, in saying that, I guess some of that time was on the couch and not as physical as one would normally be. Still, it's a fairly substantial amount.

I would have definitely needed to put on a couple of pounds from where I was at. Is it common to put on weight while taking insulin? I guess adding in the amount of cheese to omelettes, sometimes twice daily, would also help things along with nuts and so on.

Wouldn't mind so much, only I went to try a shirt on while away at the weekend in London that I brought with me.....wouldn't close. My jeans were noticeably tighter (super skinny as they were)......went to sit down outside Liverpool Street station....BANG, split in the groin region....

Insulin doesn't make you gain weight. What you put in your mouth makes you gain weight. There's no reason why a type 1 should change their diet on diagnosis, unless it mainly consisted of haribo and redbull. Is there any particular reason why you are eating cheese omelettes and nuts?

Pre diagnosis you were starving, to death. Now you aren't starving to death your body's keen to rebuild weight lost and lock a bit more away just in case that happens again.

Reactions: JoeT1

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JoeT1... Been having the opposite problem.... Lost a shed load of weight since diagnosis 2 years ago (about 3.5) stone and am struggling to put it on!!! I'm not really that active and have been eating all the wrong things trying to put the weight on IE curries, pasta, potatoes,cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc... Just can't seem to do it so frustrating :banghead:

Reactions: JoeT1

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @catapillar - Yeah, I didn't mean the insulin is making me gain weight, what I meant is exactly what you mentioned, before, my body was starving, and now that I am taking insulin, it no longer is doing that. Reasoning I was having cheese and so on, was mainly down to giving low carb a go. The first few weeks were a bit scary, so an omelette seemed like a "safe" choice really. Now, I can branch out a bit more and figure it out.

@Postleneo - From my weightlifting and training times, I know a little about the nutrition side of things, and eating all the wrong things doesn't always help in weight gain. People think the more **** like sweets, chocolate and so on they eat, the more weight they will put on. When in reality, they may make you look fat, but not actually increase weight by all that much.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @catapillar - Yeah, I didn't mean the insulin is making me gain weight, what I meant is exactly what you mentioned, before, my body was starving, and now that I am taking insulin, it no longer is doing that. Reasoning I was having cheese and so on, was mainly down to giving low carb a go. The first few weeks were a bit scary, so an omelette seemed like a "safe" choice really. Now, I can branch out a bit more and figure it out.

@Postleneo - From my weightlifting and training times, I know a little about the nutrition side of things, and eating all the wrong things doesn't always help in weight gain. People think the more **** like sweets, chocolate and so on they eat, the more weight they will put on. When in reality, they may make you look fat, but not actually increase weight by all that much.

Cheers for the info.... Seen GP and dietitian re how to put on weight and all I've been told is to eat more calories... No help really whatsoever :-(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As a T1 you can adjust the carbs to achieve the weight you want; it's what I do. You must, of course, adjust the insulin to match

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much weight did you lose before you figured out you have diabetes? The trick is to find about how much insulin you need to maintain your ideal body weight. I like to weigh about 72kg. I'm 5'10" tall. So I take 25 Lantus/day. And about 18-20 of Novorapid week days (3 meals), and about 12-15 on weekends (2 meals). About 2300 calories/day. You may have rebounded from the pre-diagnosis weight drop and gone a bit overboard. Hence the splitting your jeans situation. Could have been worse. You bend over to pick up your blind date's dropped hankie and RRRRIPTIDE time baby, here's me Jockey shorts! That would be bad.