Keytones

joeynomates1969

Hiya, can someone give me some advice on how to lower keyrones please. Currently have a cold so that could be the cause... What is a safe level and when should I call the docs? Also, I'm a bit reluctant to take insulin as I seem to get side effects from it. Not sure what to do. I fear I'm turning in to fudge!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are insulin dependent then you shouldn't really be 'reluctant' to taking it....

depending on the ketone level you actually need to take insulin to process them....

are you type one or two?

what are your ketone levels now?

what side effects are you experiencing?

Reactions: Freema

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What are your BG levels?

The main risk of elevated ketones is when your BG is also seriously high.
Come to that, what are your ketone levels?

Edit: good to see a T1 on this thread, who just beat me to it. :)

joeynomates1969

My bloods are high all the time. I've tried all sorts of pills and injections but I cannot tolerate any of them. If I take insulin, I swell up.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In order to help you properly, those in the know need a bit more info. For example, what are your BS levels, what are your ketone levels and how you feel.

Are you on your own?

Reactions: Freema

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
828b74f87b18d9f230684feb23ce304e.jpg

if you have been prescribed insulin you must use it simply put if your body needs injectable insulin you will die if you dont take it. sorry there is no nice way to sugar coat it.

joeynomates1969

I'm type 2. My bloods thisorning were 19mmol. My ketone reading was 0.3 but it usually just reads "low". Anyway, I'm not able to tolerate meds very well. I couldn't even tolerate slow release metformin. Anyway, I've tried various types of insulin but I either come out in a rash, swell up, gain weight ridiculously fast or do all three. I'm so sick and tired of it all. I've no energy and to be fair feel so depressed I just can't be bothered. Appreciate the none sugar coated you will die approach, but I really don't want to inject if all I get are side effects. I know I should exercise but i feel caught in a no win roundabout I just can't get off. My diabetic nurse says I'm just making excuses. How can being hypersensitive be an excuse?

joeynomates1969

I have no idea! I feel like I need to sound off a bit to be honest. I feel like things started to get worse once I started to take bymedication, and not get better. I feel a bit anti medication. I know it works for some people just not for me. I'm struggling a bit with everything at the moment.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi joey

sounds like you are in a difficult situation.
I would never suggest that you stop taking prescribed medication, especially with blood glucose that high.
however, if you are type 2, then you may be able to reduce the need for medication by dietary changes. it works for some (but not all). have you tried reducing carbs?

i am pretty sure that your high blood glucose will be contributing to your feeling so tired and down. lowering blood glucose would really help in a lot of ways.

Reactions: joeynomates1969

joeynomates1969

Hi joey

sounds like you are in a difficult situation.
I would never suggest that you stop taking prescribed medication, especially with blood glucose that high.
however, if you are type 2, then you may be able to reduce the need for medication by dietary changes. it works for some (but not all). have you tried reducing carbs?

i am pretty sure that your high blood glucose will be contributing to your feeling so tired and down. lowering blood glucose would really help in a lot of ways.
I've been on insulin now for 6 weeks. Blood is in range during the day but still high in the morning. I am having a tough time dealing with being on it. The nurse is insisting that I'm on it forever but the consultant thinks differently. He feels that I'll be off it eventually, providing I diet and exercise.

The nurse is like the character from little Britain, you know when you ask her a question and she replies with "computer says no. I want to scream!!!! I have issues with taking insulin, being insulin resistant and having a close.member of the family die with having atherosclerosis being one of the many things on the death certificate. I'm scared about the link between this and being insulin resistant. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that 8f you were insulin resistant, if you injected insulin too then th8s would make the resistance worse. This would make sense as my Morning levels are still high.

I just want to stop the insulin, go low carb and just get on with life. I really cannot cope. Has anyone just ignored the nurses and have done their own thing with getting good results?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been on insulin now for 6 weeks. Blood is in range during the day but still high in the morning. I am having a tough time dealing with being on it. The nurse is insisting that I'm on it forever but the consultant thinks differently. He feels that I'll be off it eventually, providing I diet and exercise.

The nurse is like the character from little Britain, you know when you ask her a question and she replies with "computer says no. I want to scream!!!! I have issues with taking insulin, being insulin resistant and having a close.member of the family die with having atherosclerosis being one of the many things on the death certificate. I'm scared about the link between this and being insulin resistant. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that 8f you were insulin resistant, if you injected insulin too then th8s would make the resistance worse. This would make sense as my Morning levels are still high.

I just want to stop the insulin, go low carb and just get on with life. I really cannot cope. Has anyone just ignored the nurses and have done their own thing with getting good results?
what are you eating joey, give us an idea of what you eat in a day.

joeynomates1969

what are you eating joey, give us an idea of what you eat in a day.
For breakfast I would have scrambled egg with a slice of wholemeal granary toast. For lunch I will have a ham and cheese salad and for dinner it would be meat Or fish.with a salad or veggies and possibly some carbs but only little bit. This has been my diet with the occasional glitch for 6 weeks. Before that, I was more carb laden, eating all.sorts of nasty stuff.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you keep measuring your blood glucose it might help if you go much lower in carb level--- try for instance to take some days on like 30 grams of carbs in the 3 meals you eat in a day.. and measure that your blood glucose go down into a level under 7 mmol after 2 hours from your meal... if thats is not low enough then try go down to 20 grams of carbs in each of the 3 meals ... and don´t eat carbs in between meals... maybe eat some nuts or peanuts or cheese sticks instead... but if you can not do without insulin it can get dangerously high blood glucose without the insulin if your body does not any longer produce insulin ... and when you take insulin you must make sure not to get too low in blood glucose because the insuline can get your blood glucose down into a dangerously low level.. and that is dangerous and can also end up life-threatening.. so if you want to try the low carb high fat diets then you need have a talk with your GP first...because you have been put on insulin already

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I would have scrambled egg with a slice of wholemeal granary toast. For lunch I will have a ham and cheese salad and for dinner it would be meat Or fish.with a salad or veggies and possibly some carbs but only little bit. This has been my diet with the occasional glitch for 6 weeks. Before that, I was more carb laden, eating all.sorts of nasty stuff.

the toast is high carb and something to be avoid..here is a link to a lot of delicious low carb meals also a lot of breakfast ideas
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

joeynomates1969

You could always try skipping breakfast.. providing you are comfortable with adjusting insulin levels on your own of course.
Hiya. I'm a bit confused with it all still. Normally I will take 4 units with food if I'm having carbs. I. Also on 34 units of Landis which I take in the morning. What would I adjust? The lantus or the novorapid ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. I'm a bit confused with it all still. Normally I will take 4 units with food if I'm having carbs. I. Also on 34 units of Landis which I take in the morning. What would I adjust? The lantus or the novorapid ?
Can't help you there I'm afraid as I have no experience of insulin - hence my comment.