Running high no reason

I've been type 1 for 13 years .. on novarapid and lantus..
Lantus I take in a morning

But for last few days I've had high readings for no reason
I've not changed anything or done anything different .. not got infections that I can tell to make it higher am bit baffled... how do i get it lower without over injecting?

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
Ah welcome to my world! Have you tried different injection sites?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make changes to basal when I've had a run of 5 days higher than usual and then leave for 5 days to allow the changes to take effect.

Maybe you've just finished a 'honeymoon' period, where your pancreas has decided to join in for a while. I'm 5 years diagnosed and have spent the summer reducing both basal & bolus for this reason. Went from 18 units of Lantus to 8 over 2 months, no Novorapid required for breakfast and lunch. Now on the way back up with the Lantus and taking Novorapid with break fast and lunch again.

The only real advice I would give is to make small changes and give them a chance to take effect. It's a moving target, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Goacher55

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MelanieLofthouse ,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your Lantus cartridge currently in use. You wouldn't happen to be halfway or two thirds depleted would you?
If so? Change to fresh cartridge & see if this puts things back on track...

D

Deleted Account

I agree with all the comments above about changing your Lantus (and the pen if you can).
And try not to stress (ha ha ha so much easier to say than do). Stress will also raise your BG and the stress of having high BG will raise your BG even further and the stress of it raising further will...

Good luck - I hope you sort it out.

Reactions: jhncookie

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MelanieLofthouse ,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your Lantus cartridge currently in use. You wouldn't happen to be halfway or two thirds depleted would you?
If so? Change to fresh cartridge & see if this puts things back on track...

Can I ask why you say this?

I ask as I find this myself with Lantus

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask why you say this?

I ask as I find this myself with Lantus

Hi @kev-w ,

I have in the past on occaisions found the odd Lantus cartridge or box of, lose potency about half way to two thirds down..? (Giving me high fasting levels & needing to constantly correct.)
Change the cartrige the following day & I've been back on track..

Reactions: Joan65 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w ,

I have in the past on occaisions found the odd Lantus cartridge or box of, lose potency about half way to two thirds down..? (Giving me high fasting levels & needing to constantly correct.)

Hi Jaylee, thanks for the reply, I have the exact same issues with Lantus on occasion, and a couple of years I was given a script containing a 'parallel import' which gave me a waking blood of 27, the pens had stickers in English stuck on 3:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just a point that you can't over-inject meaning there is no limit to the amount of insulin you can inject BUT obviously it must be matched to your actual needs and no more. As another poster has said I would make very small changes to the Lantus over 2-3 days measuring frequently and also seeing whether a very small change to the Novorapid ratio also helps. Note that if an infection is causing the increased BS you may need to reduce any increased insulin back down again. See advice from the DN if necessary.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w ,

I've haven't used a cartridge in many years. Mostly vials and for the past year disposable pens (Basaglar). Do you think the problem is that the cartridge apparatus is not delivering the correct number of insulin units for some mechanical reason, or do you think the insulin itself loses potency? Because I can see my pen's pusher move when I inject so I'm sure the units go out of the needle.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've haven't used a cartridge in many years. Mostly vials and for the past year disposable pens (Basaglar). Do you think the problem is that the cartridge apparatus is not delivering the correct number of insulin units for some mechanical reason, or do you think the insulin itself loses potency? Because I can see my pen's pusher move when I inject so I'm sure the units go out of the needle.

Good question. I know I can test a pen's accuracy on delivery by (after an "air shot".) dialling up 20u & firing it into the outer needle cap. 20u comes upto where I put the red line on this image... (But you get the idea.)

That would just leave the potency. After a cartridge change. The following day I'm all good.

image.jpeg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd agree with Jaylee, for some reason it appears to lose potency, my consultant would argue that it's a lack of absorption from time to time, but a new pen/new script seems to fix it, so aye, potency!

As an aside I sent the pi script back to the makers, but they said the gluco rx needles were to blame (tho the needle box says compatible with lantus pens)

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd agree with Jaycee, for some reason it appears to lose potency, my consultant would argue that it's a lack of absorption from time to time, but a new pen/new script seems to fix it, so aye, potency!

As am aside I sent the pi script back to the makers, but they said the gluco rx needles were to blame (tho the needle box says compatible with lantus pens)

I use a Sanofi ClikStar reusable pen. I use a Novopen for bolus too. Using the same simple technique to test the accuracy of these pens. If in any doubt. The pen gets ditched. & a new one is requested on prescription..
I always have at least three pens of each as a spare.. ;)

Reactions: kev-w
M

Member34835

Having checked sites and cartridges have you checked if there are any hormonal chanes? Pmt and oeri menopause does make bg s higher x

I agree with all the comments above about changing your Lantus (and the pen if you can).
And try not to stress (ha ha ha so much easier to say than do). Stress will also raise your BG and the stress of having high BG will raise your BG even further and the stress of it raising further will...

Good luck - I hope you sort it out.
Ty it appears to have corrected all on its own not a clue why thou xx