Life with Libre

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other weird thing I found out thanks to the sensor was that 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate lowers my BG. I've tried other strengths but 90% works best for me (plus you really wouldn't want any more than 2 squares of 90% )

Reactions: Kate_B

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, you seem to indicate that the finger prick yields more accurate results, but what is your basis for this. I hope you don’t mind me asking, I have a scientific bent, so I tend to question everything.

There's a lengthy technical paper which covers the subject:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

It's all way over my head, but there's two useful take home points.

Inserting a sensor and the body's response to it causes localised trauma followed by repair, and a foreign body response: both of those mechanisms chew up glucose and take time to settle, so dingbat results if you activate sensor too soon - it needs time to settle.

Also explains generally the "plumbing" layout: carbs into stomach, then to glucose in arteries, then distributed from arteries into smaller arterioles and capillaries, then seeps out from those around the body into the interstitial fluid surrounding cells, then taken into the cells to be used as energy. That process takes time, so meter testing blood directly from capillaries is unlikely to be the same from sensor testing the interstitial fluid - there is a relationship but they'll rarely be the same, especially when things are changing rapidly, most likely to be closest when things are settled.

A rough analogy might be comparing speed and volume of traffic on a motorway (blood) and that on the roads leading from the off ramps (interstitial). Related but not the same. The trick is figuring out how to account for the differences.

No-one ever said measuring glucose is an exact science!

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
No, I wouldn't say finger pricks are more accurate just that they are giving you a reading at that point in time from blood. The sensor is different as it measures interstitial fluid and runs (according to Abbott about 10-15 mins behind the blood measurement). So you expect a difference - just not one that is wildly different. You do get the odd 'rogue' reading (I find usually during a period of rapid change) which is well out from a finger prick. The difficulty I had initially was separating an odd 'rogue' reading from a dodgy sensor (fortunately I've only had 2 dodgy sensors both of which were replaced by Abbott without question). In case you are wondering 'dodgy' was measuring low 3's and 2's one minute and high 10's the next whereas I was more like mid 4's to low 5's.
It has been invaluable for identifying what I can and can't eat but that is personal to me. I am well aware that others can tolerate foods that I cannot go near. A prime example was porridge which sends my BGs through the roof and for a long period. Another no no is potatoes in any form and regrettably a lot of pulses. I used to eat around 100g of the so called 'good' carbs but this was too high for me. I lowered it to 40g daily but now I aim for 20g or less. So long as I am not ill this level is enough to keep my BGs in the 4-5's (illness sends it up regardless).
It would have taken me a long time to work this out with finger jabs but as I said this is what suits me and may not suit another person although life would be a lot easier if we were all the same.
Thanks for that, once again you have confirmed my thoughts. I just need to get my hands on one now!

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
The other weird thing I found out thanks to the sensor was that 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate lowers my BG. I've tried other strengths but 90% works best for me (plus you really wouldn't want any more than 2 squares of 90% )
Interesting; I wonder, as you are Type 2, whether your body is producing insulin to combat the small amount of sugar in the chocolate, but as the overall amount is small, it overcompensates and hence lowers your blood sugar.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
There's a lengthy technical paper which covers the subject:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

It's all way over my head, but there's two useful take home points.

Inserting a sensor and the body's response to it causes localised trauma followed by repair, and a foreign body response: both of those mechanisms chew up glucose and take time to settle, so dingbat results if you activate sensor too soon - it needs time to settle.

Also explains generally the "plumbing" layout: carbs into stomach, then to glucose in arteries, then distributed from arteries into smaller arterioles and capillaries, then seeps out from those around the body into the interstitial fluid surrounding cells, then taken into the cells to be used as energy. That process takes time, so meter testing blood directly from capillaries is unlikely to be the same from sensor testing the interstitial fluid - there is a relationship but they'll rarely be the same, especially when things are changing rapidly, most likely to be closest when things are settled.

A rough analogy might be comparing speed and volume of traffic on a motorway (blood) and that on the roads leading from the off ramps (interstitial). Related but not the same. The trick is figuring out how to account for the differences.

No-one ever said measuring glucose is an exact science!
Thanks Scott, your summary makes a lot of sense.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Did I read somewhere that one can claim the VAT back on Freestyle Libre?

Could someone advise me on the procedure please?

I’m about to purchase a starter pack.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did I read somewhere that one can claim the VAT back on Freestyle Libre?

Could someone advise me on the procedure please?

I’m about to purchase a starter pack.

It's part of the online ordering process. Can't remember which stage it's at but keep an eye open for a checkbox with some text about whether it's being bought by or for a diabetic, check it, fill in the details it asks for and it'll dock the vat off by the time you reach the payment stage.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Wow, it’s that easy. I’m surprised they don’t want ‘proof’. On the other hand, no one that’s ordaining the sensor is likely not to be diabetic.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
I have another question, has anyone successfully downloaded a CSV file of their data onto their PC?

I know how to import CSV files into Excel, but it’s just getting the CSV file in the first place.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have another question, has anyone successfully downloaded a CSV file of their data onto their PC?

I know how to import CSV files into Excel, but it’s just getting the CSV file in the first place.

You have to use the export data button on the software, found under the File tab. I export it as a text file to Word, then copy and paste to Excel, then tweak out the bits I don't want, and then do a custom sort as some of the times are out of order.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
You have to use the export data button on the software, found under the File tab. I export it as a text file to Word, then copy and paste to Excel, then tweak out the bits I don't want, and then do a custom sort as some of the times are out of order.
Thank you Blutit, that is great and the datasorting should be relatively easy.

I won’t be getting the device until January, but if I have any issues I’ll get back to you.

Once again, many thanks for confirming that.

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I'll be ringing their support in the morning because they said if I take a blood reading and then a sensor reading 10 minutes later, they should be within a limit of 15%. Yesterday I decided to check with my old Freestyle Lite as well and got the following
17:20:00 Freestyle Libre blood 5.9
17:20:05 Freestyle Lite blood 4.7
17:30:00 Freestyle Libre sensor 4.3
I can understand the Libre tests being different, but that isn't within 15% and surely the 2 blood tests using Freestyle meters should be identical. After all either is accepted by DVLA to allow me to drive.

Mi5ke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll be ringing their support in the morning because they said if I take a blood reading and then a sensor reading 10 minutes later, they should be within a limit of 15%. Yesterday I decided to check with my old Freestyle Lite as well and got the following
17:20:00 Freestyle Libre blood 5.9
17:20:05 Freestyle Lite blood 4.7
17:30:00 Freestyle Libre sensor 4.3
I can understand the Libre tests being different, but that isn't within 15% and surely the 2 blood tests using Freestyle meters should be identical. After all either is accepted by DVLA to allow me to drive.
I thought the DVLA had concluded the opposite (that you still need to perform a blood test)?

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I thought the DVLA had concluded the opposite (that you still need to perform a blood test)?
Yes that's correct, it's what I said. Either the Lite or Libre blood test is accepted by DVLA.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
maglil55 can you say if the Tegaderm you use are the transparent ones with no padding? I've had one sensor as part of a free trial and it fell off after 8 days. I've been trawling through this thread to find the most helpful way to keep them on as the things I learned in those 8 days mean I'm desperate to use the system for longer so I can make adjustments and track the results. I've ordered more sensors and Abbott are sending me a replacement for the one which fell off, and I'm determined to keep the next one on! Thanks, and also thanks for starting a brilliant thread with an incredible amount of information from you and others.

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I'm using KT tape from Boots. 1 strip almost wraps round my arm and it just about lasts the full 2 weeks, mind you the ends need a bit of trimming over the last few days.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using KT tape from Boots. 1 strip almost wraps round my arm and it just about lasts the full 2 weeks, mind you the ends need a bit of trimming over the last few days.
Thanks Ken that's really helpful. Is this the stuff that sticks to itself but not you?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @hh1

I use Tegaderm based on @maglil55’s advice (and found they work perfectly for me). They are transparent. Here’s a couple of photos:

aa10bf0d0b804994656271f7c8335f88.jpg

7abd36ce03e3bbcae6b41712bdaef368.jpg
3f1e2a5bd411cc7719ecb9d525a3ab2d.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hh1

I use Tegaderm based on @maglil55’s advice (and found they work perfectly for me). They are transparent. Here’s a couple of photos:

aa10bf0d0b804994656271f7c8335f88.jpg

7abd36ce03e3bbcae6b41712bdaef368.jpg
3f1e2a5bd411cc7719ecb9d525a3ab2d.jpg
Thank you that's brilliant! Do they actually stick to the sensor, and can you leave it on for two weeks? sorry to ask so many questions, but can you do this yourself or do you really need another pair of hands to do it for you as it's on the back of your arm? (presumably, although I know @maglil now puts her sensors on the inside of her arm)

Reactions: maglil55