1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Life with Libre

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by maglil55, Mar 28, 2017.

1. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The other weird thing I found out thanks to the sensor was that 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate lowers my BG. I've tried other strengths but 90% works best for me (plus you really wouldn't want any more than 2 squares of 90% )

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a lengthy technical paper which covers the subject:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

It's all way over my head, but there's two useful take home points.

Inserting a sensor and the body's response to it causes localised trauma followed by repair, and a foreign body response: both of those mechanisms chew up glucose and take time to settle, so dingbat results if you activate sensor too soon - it needs time to settle.

Also explains generally the "plumbing" layout: carbs into stomach, then to glucose in arteries, then distributed from arteries into smaller arterioles and capillaries, then seeps out from those around the body into the interstitial fluid surrounding cells, then taken into the cells to be used as energy. That process takes time, so meter testing blood directly from capillaries is unlikely to be the same from sensor testing the interstitial fluid - there is a relationship but they'll rarely be the same, especially when things are changing rapidly, most likely to be closest when things are settled.

A rough analogy might be comparing speed and volume of traffic on a motorway (blood) and that on the roads leading from the off ramps (interstitial). Related but not the same. The trick is figuring out how to account for the differences.

No-one ever said measuring glucose is an exact science!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kate_B

Kate_B LADA · Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, once again you have confirmed my thoughts. I just need to get my hands on one now!

4. Kate_B

Interesting; I wonder, as you are Type 2, whether your body is producing insulin to combat the small amount of sugar in the chocolate, but as the overall amount is small, it overcompensates and hence lowers your blood sugar.

5. Kate_B

Thanks Scott, your summary makes a lot of sense.

6. Kate_B

Did I read somewhere that one can claim the VAT back on Freestyle Libre?

Could someone advise me on the procedure please?

I’m about to purchase a starter pack.

7. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

Just make sure you tick the box and the vat is taken off when you purchase it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's part of the online ordering process. Can't remember which stage it's at but keep an eye open for a checkbox with some text about whether it's being bought by or for a diabetic, check it, fill in the details it asks for and it'll dock the vat off by the time you reach the payment stage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kate_B

Wow, it’s that easy. I’m surprised they don’t want ‘proof’. On the other hand, no one that’s ordaining the sensor is likely not to be diabetic.

Thanks for the quick responses!

10. Kate_B

I have another question, has anyone successfully downloaded a CSV file of their data onto their PC?

I know how to import CSV files into Excel, but it’s just getting the CSV file in the first place.

11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

You have to use the export data button on the software, found under the File tab. I export it as a text file to Word, then copy and paste to Excel, then tweak out the bits I don't want, and then do a custom sort as some of the times are out of order.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kate_B

Thank you Blutit, that is great and the datasorting should be relatively easy.

I won’t be getting the device until January, but if I have any issues I’ll get back to you.

Once again, many thanks for confirming that.

13. KenBachelor

KenBachelor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'll be ringing their support in the morning because they said if I take a blood reading and then a sensor reading 10 minutes later, they should be within a limit of 15%. Yesterday I decided to check with my old Freestyle Lite as well and got the following
    17:20:00 Freestyle Libre blood 5.9
    17:20:05 Freestyle Lite blood 4.7
    17:30:00 Freestyle Libre sensor 4.3
    I can understand the Libre tests being different, but that isn't within 15% and surely the 2 blood tests using Freestyle meters should be identical. After all either is accepted by DVLA to allow me to drive.

14. Mi5ke

Mi5ke Type 1 · Newbie

I thought the DVLA had concluded the opposite (that you still need to perform a blood test)?

15. KenBachelor

Yes that's correct, it's what I said. Either the Lite or Libre blood test is accepted by DVLA.

16. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

maglil55 can you say if the Tegaderm you use are the transparent ones with no padding? I've had one sensor as part of a free trial and it fell off after 8 days. I've been trawling through this thread to find the most helpful way to keep them on as the things I learned in those 8 days mean I'm desperate to use the system for longer so I can make adjustments and track the results. I've ordered more sensors and Abbott are sending me a replacement for the one which fell off, and I'm determined to keep the next one on! Thanks, and also thanks for starting a brilliant thread with an incredible amount of information from you and others.

17. KenBachelor

I'm using KT tape from Boots. 1 strip almost wraps round my arm and it just about lasts the full 2 weeks, mind you the ends need a bit of trimming over the last few days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hh1

Thanks Ken that's really helpful. Is this the stuff that sticks to itself but not you?

19. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @hh1

I use Tegaderm based on @maglil55’s advice (and found they work perfectly for me). They are transparent. Here’s a couple of photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. hh1

Thank you that's brilliant! Do they actually stick to the sensor, and can you leave it on for two weeks? sorry to ask so many questions, but can you do this yourself or do you really need another pair of hands to do it for you as it's on the back of your arm? (presumably, although I know @maglil now puts her sensors on the inside of her arm)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook