running a marathon with type 1

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello I was considering running a full marathon next year just wondering if anyone else has done one one and managed to maintain good blood levels throughout.

Reactions: Type1Bri

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello I was considering running a full marathon next year just wondering if anyone else has done one one and managed to maintain good blood levels throughout.

Davie,

I’ve not ran a marathon yet but I am signed up for the Edinburgh marathon next May. What sort of pace would you be aiming for? Would enjoy running with someone with diabetes!

I get out on 10+ miles training runs at the minute, I’m on a pump which really helps with good control. My aim over the next few months is to put some good distance in and log my training carbs and BG’s to make sure I have all my settings right going into the event!

I know this forum has some keen diabetic distance runners on who will be able to give you better advise than I can.

Jeff

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was rather relieved when I didn't get a ballot place for the London marathon, I've done a couple of halfs though and I'd love to do a full marathon eventually. I don't think I've quite got the distance in my legs yet!

There are quite a few diabetic marathon runners. Have a look on strava for the diabetic running clubs, look for sone info on Roddy Riddle, have a look on Facebook for the running on insulin group.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Davie,

I’ve not ran a marathon yet but I am signed up for the Edinburgh marathon next May. What sort of pace would you be aiming for? Would enjoy running with someone with diabetes!

I get out on 10+ miles training runs at the minute, I’m on a pump which really helps with good control. My aim over the next few months is to put some good distance in and log my training carbs and BG’s to make sure I have all my settings right going into the event!

I know this forum has some keen diabetic distance runners on who will be able to give you better advise than I can.

Jeff
realistically i would probably run it in about 3.15-3.20 i would like sub 3 hrs one day but nowhere near that level of running fitness at the moment the furthest iv ever done is half a marathon and that felt like a long way id probably be alright if i had anoth gels and stuff the only problem is the risk of going high then that can make running feel miserable

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck!

Sir Steve Redgrave is a Type 2 diabetic on insulin, and because of his extreme intensive training and competitions he had to eat mountains of carbs, and still managed all those gold medals. Of course, he had a first class medical team behind him and a GP for a wife!

Reactions: DavidK59
M

Member34835

Did 2 marathons. Found the 2nd one easier bg wise because I had a pump and could fine tune my basal/bolus and did not fear hypos on the longer runs. Getting a ib injury was much more of an issue than diabetes.Just do not expect predictabity day to day and do keep testing x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If only the thread title words had been arranged differently.........
type 1 running with a marathon ( snickers now:banghead: ). If this had been the question I may have been more use to you.:):):)

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
realistically i would probably run it in about 3.15-3.20 i would like sub 3 hrs one day but nowhere near that level of running fitness at the moment the furthest iv ever done is half a marathon and that felt like a long way id probably be alright if i had anoth gels and stuff the only problem is the risk of going high then that can make running feel miserable

That would be a great achievement, am I right in thinking that would be about 7:30 per mile? I think I would be a little slower, currently hitting 8:30 over 11 miles!

No reason to go too high I don’t think, as long as you test and take on carbs you will need insulin onboard to utilise the gluco’s and to prevent fatigue.

Are you on injections?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
am I right in thinking that would be about 7:30 per mile?
I inadvertently temporarily impressed someone at parkrun I was talking to yesterday - she asked my what pace I would be running at, and I said as I was trying my hardest not to hurt myself again while recovering from injury I was current running at 'around 7 minutes'.

She thought I meant per mile............ I meant per kilometre!

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Davie_sett that sounds brilliant - let me introduce you to @Type1Bri , who's in training for London 2017.
:)[/QUOT
That would be a great achievement, am I right in thinking that would be about 7:30 per mile? I think I would be a little slower, currently hitting 8:30 over 11 miles!

No reason to go too high I don’t think, as long as you test and take on carbs you will need insulin onboard to utilise the gluco’s and to prevent fatigue.

Are you on injections?
im on levimere at night and just take novo rapid before meals and if i go abit high i would imagine at a big race like london getting a quick time would be easier than a small race becouse of all the diffrent pacing group to give you motivation and im not sure if people have conversations running marathons or not but i would imagine it would help pass the time

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i need to enter one to give me some motivation i doubt there will be any till spring but i seem to have injured my foot at the moment got the doctor next week hopefully its nothing serious

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
OMG !!!!!!! I have SO MUCH RESPECT for all of you on this topic -- it literally has brought tears to my eyes

I can remember back at my diagnosis ( 1972 )-- one of the highlights of the """"things you won't be able to do """" talk
was --- run long distant races - insulin wasn't up to the rigours of long distance running then
of course that was 1972 -- and times have changed -- but I am so so proud of all of you contemplating . training and competing

I tip my hat and my pump to you

best to all of you -- Life winners !!!!!!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can remember back at my diagnosis ( 1972 )-- one of the highlights of the """"things you won't be able to do """" talk
was --- run long distant races - insulin wasn't up to the rigours of long distance running then
of course that was 1972 -- and times have changed

I don't understand why someone with Type1 on a long term very low carb diet could not of run a marathon with the inslins that were used in the 1970. What am I missing?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I don't understand why someone with Type1 on a long term very low carb diet could not of run a marathon with the inslins that were used in the 1970. What am I missing?
perhaps my reply should have been more to do with the HCP's were not up to the administering of insulin to patients to assist flexibility of lifestyle.

multiple daily injections had not been invented as a way of managing type 1 Diabetes back then.

In those days it was 1 injection per day made up by mixing together a medium acting insulin plus a long acting insulin.
the net effect was that you needed to eat at 3 meals at quite specific times to counteract the 1 insulin injection

I used to eat at 7:30am , 12 noon and 5:30pm and a bedtime snack at 10pm every day for a good number of years.

we also had no way of testing for hypos -- so the medical advice was to avoid long distance running .

I also am not aware that Low carb diets had really been invented in the 1970's