Type 1 [emoji849][emoji31]

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High bloods after breakfast- lunch, but not aloud to inject as to sensitive and have 30 carbs free. What to do?

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find going for a walk drops my levels - not necessarily a hike - 20 mins can be enough.

Reactions: daisypettitt

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you recently diagnosed....?

How high did you go and when was the spike....?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @daisypettitt
welcome !! :)
I see in your first post that you were diagnosed back in April of this year.

this would mean you are probably experiencing some "honeymoon period" issues -- where your pancreas is still sort of spluttering a bit of insulin now and then and making things a bit unpredictable.

you say you are not allowed to give a correction after your breakfast and before lunch
as you are only diagnosed 7 months it sounds as though your diabetic nurse is just being cautious for your safety.

I would certainly recommend that you have another chat with her soon.
I would also ask her about going on a carb counting course ( usually called DAFNE ) - dose adjustment for normal eating.

do you have a 1/2 unit pen for your fast acting insulin ? this can be great for people on lower doses and more sensitive - as they can dial in 1unit , or 1.5unit or 2unit and so on.
it is a way of being more precise.

finally -- Diabetes is tough to get your head round -- there is so much to take in and it seems fairly lonely at times.
I am really pleased you found us -- a great group of people all sharing the same condition as you.

Do hang around and continue posting
all the best !
himtoo

Last edited:

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @daisypettitt
welcome !! :)
I see in your first post that you were diagnosed back in April of this year.

this would mean you are probably experiencing some "honeymoon period" issues -- where your pancreas is still sort of spluttering a bit of insulin now and then and making things a bit unpredictable.

you say you are not allowed to give a correction after your breakfast and before lunch
as you are only diagnosed 7 months it sounds as though your diabetic nurse is just being cautious for your safety.

I would certainly recommend that you have another chat with her soon.
I would also ask her about going on a carb counting course ( usually called DAFNE ) - dose adjustment for normal eating.

do you have a 1/2 unit pen for your fast acting insulin ? this can be great for people on lower doses and more sensitive - as they can dial in 1unit , or 1.5unit or 2unit and so on.
it is a way of being more precise.

finally -- Diabetes is tough to get your head round -- there is so much to take in and it seems fairly lonely at times.
I am really pleased you found us -- a great group of people all sharing the same condition as you.

Do hang around and continue posting
all the best !
himtoo

Thankyou for your help :)

Reactions: himtoo

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends too on what you were before you ate.....what you ate too....

You can expect a spike like that 1.5-2 hours after a meal.......was it roughly at that time....?

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends too on what you were before you ate.....what you ate too....

You can expect a spike like that 1.5-2 hours after a meal.......was it roughly at that time....?

I’m either 5/6 before and I get told to test bloods after I eat every 2 hours. I eat cereal or toast, they normally ok

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So when you had these spikes, did they then come back down before the next meal? I'm just wondering if your bolus isn't kicking in quite quickly enough before the carbs begin metabolising from the cereal or toast. If they come back down then a correction would have more than likely sent you low when it started working. If that's the case perhaps pre-bolusing would help you lower the spike?

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So when you had these spikes, did they then come back down before the next meal? I'm just wondering if your bolus isn't kicking in quite quickly enough before the carbs begin metabolising from the cereal or toast. If they come back down then a correction would have more than likely sent you low when it started working. If that's the case perhaps pre-bolusing would help you lower the spike?

No they don’t come down before the next meal, so I have to correct and then I test 2 hours later and they go down to 7.6! What do I do if my bolus isn’t kicking in? This is all so new and worrying!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they don't come back and you do end up correcting then that suggests the amount of insulin you're injecting before the meal isn't enough to cover the carbs. Are you on fixed doses or do you have a ratio (or ratios) for insulin to carbs at meals?

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they don't come back and you do end up correcting then that suggests the amount of insulin you're injecting before the meal isn't enough to cover the carbs. Are you on fixed doses or do you have a ratio (or ratios) for insulin to carbs at meals?

I don’t inject for breakfast, I have ratio but nothing to do with breakfast, my ratio for lunch is 15 free carbs then 1:15 and evening meal is 1:30

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My suggestion would have to be to discuss your doses with your care team then. If you don't routinely need to inject for breakfast but are now getting a rise which doesn't come down it might be that there is a new pattern which needs an adjustment to your regime which only your team can advise you on to change. Keep a record of the numbers and corrections you've had to make and this should help them figure out what changes (if any) you could make.

daisypettitt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My suggestion would have to be to discuss your doses with your care team then. If you don't routinely need to inject for breakfast but are now getting a rise which doesn't come down it might be that there is a new pattern which needs an adjustment to your regime which only your team can advise you on to change. Keep a record of the numbers and corrections you've had to make and this should help them figure out what changes (if any) you could make.

Thankyou for your help :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @daisypettitt
your info on your doses really suggests you are quite sensitive to insulin and could definitely benefit from a 1/2 unit pen

( so instead of no insulin at breakfast maybe a 1/2 unit ) if that makes sense