**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Just a quickie...

what do people prefer to use to scan their Libre sensor, the app or the Reader?

X

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know because I chose to have an extra sensor for my money rather than use that money for a reader.

Reactions: Books1

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer the app. The advantages of the reader are included meter I suppose. I found the quality a bit lacking. The touch screen is pretty poor.

I always have my phone, I'd definitely forget to pick up the scanner before leaving home.

You can of course use both, but unfortunately when the data is uploaded to LibreView each meter device is kept separate so you get an incomplete pic.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may well be bettor off with the reader unless you already own a meter, as I understand that for T1 there are certain situations where you (may) need an actual blood test result rather than a readig from a scan.

Robbity

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The reader is also a glucose meter, so has dual purpose. I like mine.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I mostly use the reader, but do make sure I scan with my phone every 8 hours.
I find the reader much more convenient to use for a couple reasons:
1. its much smaller than my phone - almost a third the size of a OnePlus3 which means its a lot less obvious to every one else when I'm using it.
2. it's nfc sensor is obviously a lot more powerful than my phones, the reader can read the sensor from 4-5cm away - it'll read it through a t-shirt, thick fleece and coat, whereas my phone needs to be very close and can be very awkward to actually get it to read - maybe my phone nfc sensor is just truly rubbish I don't know.
3. I can mute the reader when it scans so it only vibrates, the phone app appears to have no such setting so the whole office can hear it when I use it in the office unless my phone is set to vibrate only.

I still make sure I scan it with the phone though cos the phone has a much bigger screen so when showing my DN whats been going on, its a lot easier to see and also navigate using the app :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reader. Download some of the results onto paper at the end of each sensor, which I write more info onto, like type of food eaten if I have particular highs/lows.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The reader. Download some of the results onto paper at the end of each sensor, which I write more info onto, like type of food eaten if I have particular highs/lows.

I download mine every day to an excel spreadsheet, sort them, delete unwanted bits etc.. I also make notes.

Reactions: becca59 and dbr10

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mostly use the reader, but do make sure I scan with my phone every 8 hours.
I find the reader much more convenient to use for a couple reasons:
1. its much smaller than my phone - almost a third the size of a OnePlus3 which means its a lot less obvious to every one else when I'm using it.
2. it's nfc sensor is obviously a lot more powerful than my phones, the reader can read the sensor from 4-5cm away - it'll read it through a t-shirt, thick fleece and coat, whereas my phone needs to be very close and can be very awkward to actually get it to read - maybe my phone nfc sensor is just truly rubbish I don't know.
3. I can mute the reader when it scans so it only vibrates, the phone app appears to have no such setting so the whole office can hear it when I use it in the office unless my phone is set to vibrate only.

I still make sure I scan it with the phone though cos the phone has a much bigger screen so when showing my DN whats been going on, its a lot easier to see and also navigate using the app :)
I use a Samsung Galaxy s7 and the app and have no problem scanning through my thick winter jacket and jumper. Also you mute the sound via the settings and you can leave the vibrate on. It's Android.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like Antje77 I chose to use the App as I preferred to get another sensor. @Bluetit1802 did tell me through the reader has 15 min readings (or is it 5?) which the app doesn't have although I asked Abbott if they have any plans to introduce it. Nothing certain but they said the software company does look at developing it. Some people have had problems with the NFC signal but mine is fine.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like Antje77 I chose to use the App as I preferred to get another sensor. @Bluetit1802 did tell me through the reader has 15 min readings (or is it 5?) which the app doesn't have although I asked Abbott if they have any plans to introduce it. Nothing certain but they said the software company does look at developing it. Some people have had problems with the NFC signal but mine is fine.
I'm unsure what you mean by the scanning time. As far as I can see what they each collect is the same. It's the sensor that does the readings. One every 15 mins or whatever. The reader or phone is just a hoover!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a Samsung Galaxy s7 and the app and have no problem scanning through my thick winter jacket and jumper. Also you mute the sound via the settings and you can leave the vibrate on. It's Android.
Yeah, it may just be that my NFC is completely rubbish as sometimes I have a fight scanning through a thick t-shirt.
And unfortunately I seem to have no setting to mute just that app - either from the app itself or from the settings (either that or I'm being a moron which is quite possible :)) as not all the different manufacturer settings options are the same, but the problems scanning is the main reason I prefer the reader anyway, but ty for trying to help.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm unsure what you mean by the scanning time. As far as I can see what they each collect is the same. It's the sensor that does the readings. One every 15 mins or whatever. The reader or phone is just a hoover!
From what Bluetit1802 said you get a list on the reader. You don't on the app. You do get the graph but you have to estimate the points if you haven"t scanned. I think it's every 15 mins. The 5 mins I think was @Scott_c that uses a Bluecon with the Libre.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, with the reader and the reader software you get the option to export a file. This is a list of the readings the sensor takes every 15 minutes plus all the scanned readings. The list gives the time, the sensor readings taken every 15 minutes and the scanned readings plus codes for "events" that you can set on the reader. (meal times, bedtime, fasting, cup of tea, etc etc. ) This is in addition to all the graphs. You can see exactly when you get small rises and falls as well as the bigger ones.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With the app all this happens too, but in the cloud on the LibreView site.

It's still a bit rudimentary IMO. The BG stuff is exported as is, IE every 15 minute value. They don't yet export all the text stuff, although it is visible in their reports. I have mentioned the shortcomings to them a couple of times and have received warm fuzzy responses but I've yet to see any changes.

Reactions: maglil55

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quickie...

what do people prefer to use to scan their Libre sensor, the app or the Reader?

X
Definitely the app. It's easier to add notes in hindsight and you can easily check all your data there and then rather than having to upload it first.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the app all this happens too, but in the cloud on the LibreView site.

It's still a bit rudimentary IMO. The BG stuff is exported as is, IE every 15 minute value. They don't yet export all the text stuff, although it is visible in their reports. I have mentioned the shortcomings to them a couple of times and have received warm fuzzy responses but I've yet to see any changes.
How do you access this? I've only ever looked at the reports on the app so this is news to me.